Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

US Auto Industry is about to implode - Video

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-18 | 11:08 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by plex
That's very scary, I agree I see people complain about paycheck to paycheck yet have the latest $1000 phone. I have a $250 Motorola phone from Google Fi and I still think I paid too much. It's Android based does everything I need. But yes there's a serious problem with living way above means and people not checking on their spending habits. There are tons of options now apps and some banks do it that let you look at spending habits and they can display results in nice charts etc...I think people would be surprised at what they spend on stuff.
I don’t think a $1000 cell phone is the equivalent of living beyond ones means. A true pay check to pay check individual is going to be hard pressed to save money, the majority of people are not in the position to save money to begin with. So that said, if someone makes $5000 per month and cannot save part of that $5000, then I am at a lost of words for them. If someone make $20,000 per month and can’t save, then they are an idiot IMO.

I have exprssed my opinion on financial matters on these threads, and while I personally am pretty firm on what I consider to be a healthy lifestyle, I have taken note of what others have said and I do see their side of point of view. I see the value in why they may do it, even if I don’t agree with it.

I am also seeing the idea that others have said where what works for one person does not exactly work for the next person. I have taken note on those who have said “life is short and you can’t take it with you” or “live a little”.

Not everybody has it made. Life is really difficult for a lot of people. Circumstances are sometimes beyond ones control. Two very unpleasant life experiences that have been sitting with me the last few weeks are 1) husbands friends father had just been laid off from work in October, being diabetic, he ended up having his leg amputated because of a foot issue. He now sits in a rehab bed miles away from his family in DT Toronto. 2) Just yesterday, someone I know is taking time off from work until January 8th, her mother has opted for medical assisted suicide to take place in Toronto on Dec 15th. I can’t imagine how horrible Xmas must be for these persons. So I then consider those who just feel happy their $1000 iPhone or their $6 Starbucks beverage or their Raptor tickets or their Lexus car or truck, as it gives them a few moments of happiness and let’s them escape the realities of life which are not always so positive. People do what they do.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-07-18 at 11:12 AM.
Old 12-07-18 | 12:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Not everybody has it made. Life is really difficult for a lot of people. Circumstances are sometimes beyond ones control. Two very unpleasant life experiences that have been sitting with me the last few weeks are 1) husbands friends father had just been laid off from work in October, being diabetic, he ended up having his leg amputated because of a foot issue. He now sits in a rehab bed miles away from his family in DT Toronto. 2) Just yesterday, someone I know is taking time off from work until January 8th, her mother has opted for medical assisted suicide to take place in Toronto on Dec 15th.

Very sorry to hear about those in your life. Yes, diabetes can be very destructive. An old colleague of mine, years ago, (similarly) lost a leg from diabetes....and it looks like a former lifeguard at my indoor pool may end up losing his foot from the same thing.

Interestingly (since I know Toronto is your home town) I regularly watch a recorded Catholic Mass from the Chapel at Loreto Abbey in Toronto. I will offer up today's Mass and prayer for both the father and mother. And, though it's her decision in the end, that is an extreme move.....I hope the mother reconsiders. Though I've done pretty good financially, my own personal life has not always been a bed of roses, but my experience, over many decades, is that nothing in life is hopeless......not even the loss of a big Buick. (just kidding).