Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Stinger vs 340i vs G70 review...

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-18, 12:37 PM
cheezz
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Comparing apples with apples, the G70 3.3T AWD is about 130lbs lighter than the Stinger GT AWD. Similar weight difference between both RWD cars. The 500 lb difference is a RWD G70 4cyl 6-speed vs the Stinger GT AWD. The slightly lighter G70 accounts for the 0.1 to 0.2 s faster 0-60 mph over the Stinger.
I was comparing best performing G70 (RWD with least amount of options) to the BMW M3 and M4 for lap times. I used the AWD Stinger weight to show how much lighter the G70 can be depending on what trim you select and options you take out. According to a professional race driver who by the way owns a Stinger GT tested the G70 RWD with least available option (no sunroof) and a RWD Stinger GT with full option at the road course track. He said that the weight difference between the two is almost 440 lbs. That is RWD vs RWD with least option vs full option. If you compare that G70 to the fully optioned AWD Stinger then I would suspect 550+ lbs difference.. I don't fully trust what the magazines you read that tell you their weight range.. And I don't think the manufacturer brochure will indicate exact weight difference between drive wheels and options. It's best to actually weigh the cars for comparison. The G70 RWD got 1:53.89 sec lap time at the Inje Speedium race circuit. Stinger GT RWD got 1:54.90, over a second slower ... They didn't run the AWD version as they are slower at the track. F80 BMW M3 got 1:53.86. I don't know if you can understand Korean but here the driver explains the weight difference in this vid + the track times and comparison in detail.

This race driver by the way is biased toward Stinger GT RWD as he owns one as his personal vehicle. So he knows more about the Stinger and how to use its max potential at the track. He didn't drive the G70 much to get that lap time.. He said no matter how hard he tried he could not catch up to the G70 RWD's lap time he said it was in a different league. Also don't forget that the G70 puts down more power in the dyno versus the Stinger GT even though both have similar engine. Being over 1 second difference at the track tells you a lot.

Last edited by cheezz; 12-09-18 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-09-18, 12:39 PM
chris2k5
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone notice the G70 doesn’t have covers on the door pillars? $50k “luxury” car and they skimped on the interior trim...
Old 12-09-18, 01:21 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by chris2k5
Anyone notice the G70 doesn’t have covers on the door pillars? $50k “luxury” car and they skimped on the interior trim...
Huh? Can you show us an example of what you're talking about?
Old 12-09-18, 04:00 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

This pushes me that much closer to the Stinger for my next purchase. Confirms that the G70 is too small for me.

Originally Posted by chris2k5
I noticed that too and was highly disappointed to see that. I noticed that they covered it in the Stinger, but not the G70.
Old 12-09-18, 04:01 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by signdetres
Huh? Can you show us an example of what you're talking about?
He's talking about the interior around the windows. I always think you should not be able to see the exterior color of the car on the interior. He's stating that you can see the red paint around the windows on the interior, rather than blacked out trim around them.
Old 12-09-18, 05:47 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

A while back C&D did a comparison test with the Stinger 2.0t AWD, Audi A5 Sportback 2.0t AWD and BMW 430i X Drive 2.0t xDrive.

The order of finish was 1. Audi (205 pts.), 2. Kia & BMW tied (182 pts.). As you can imagine there was a wide spread in pricing between the Stinger and Audi &BMW.
Old 12-11-18, 09:30 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
He's talking about the interior around the windows. I always think you should not be able to see the exterior color of the car on the interior. He's stating that you can see the red paint around the windows on the interior, rather than blacked out trim around them.
OH, gotcha! Yes in that case I totally agree.
Old 12-11-18, 11:21 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I love all these “fake” reviews that are obviously paid for.

The 3series came out in 2012 yet it still has the better Engines (4 and 6cyl), Transmission, Multimedia (iDrive), larger screen, larger useable rear seat unlike G70, better steering feel, and more sophisticated suspension setup. BTW the new M340i will destroy this G70 and Stinger.

I personally think the G70 is not very attractive design and if you cover the grill could be from any automaker. The interior is nothing special unless your wowed by quilted leather. Front seating position and room is average while rear seat room is non-existent. 3series has probably the best driver seating position of any sedan and the sport seats are amazing with lots of adjustability. Rear seats and legroom are best in class.

I still remember the days when the original Infiniti G35 came out and won all those comparisons vs the E46 3series.

3series is like the 911 - always new competition but they remain the benchmark.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 12-12-18 at 12:05 AM.
Old 12-11-18, 11:41 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by cheezz
The G70 is a lot faster than what most people think... The RWD version is getting precisely identical lap time as the F80 M3 at the road course track in Korea... and a little bit faster than the M4. The performance wise it's really right there with the latest gen M3. All these reviews are for marketing purpose they don't know all about the car inside out. I guess they threw in the BMW 340i as comparison since they are closer price range to the G70. The RWD version with less option (no sunroof) is about 500 lbs lighter than the AWD Stinger GT.
LOL - you do realize a stock F80 M3 puts down over 400hp at the wheels.
The ONLY way the G70 is faster is if the M3 was a Manual and the “test driver” doesn’t know how to shift.

G70 is not even faster than the 340i let alone M3.

0-60 was 4.7 and 4.8 sec for RWD and AWD versions tested by MotorTrend thats almost a full second slower than F80 M3. Quarter mile times and braking distance are not even in the same strathosphere. The also talk about the suspension and lack of manual shifting with the Auto trans.
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/gene...year-finalist/

Last edited by RNM GS3; 12-12-18 at 12:00 AM.
Old 12-12-18, 06:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

I agree there are some bad reviews out there, but I'm not sure I buy the "paid-for" argument. In some cases, that could be considered a bribe, which is illegal....though I'm not a lawyer and don't know all the details. But reviews are normally held to some ethical standards....though, of course, the opinions of he individual reviews can vary quite a bit from person to person. That's one of the reasons, even with his droning, monotonous voice, I like Alex Dykes (Alex on Autos) and his reviews so much. They are truly professional, and focus totally on the vehicle itself, stem to stern, down to the smallest details.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-12-18 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-12-18, 08:47 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Okay...

The 3series came out in 2012 yet it still has the better Engines (4 and 6cyl), Transmission, Multimedia (iDrive), larger screen, larger useable rear seat unlike G70, better steering feel, and more sophisticated suspension setup. BTW the new M340i will destroy this G70 and Stinger.

I personally think the G70 is not very attractive design and if you cover the grill could be from any automaker. The interior is nothing special unless your wowed by quilted leather. Front seating position and room is average while rear seat room is non-existent. 3series has probably the best driver seating position of any sedan and the sport seats are amazing with lots of adjustability. Rear seats and legroom are best in class.

I still remember the days when the original Infiniti G35 came out and won all those comparisons vs the E46 3series.

3series is like the 911 - always new competition but they remain the benchmark.
Well, it is obvious where your bias lies.
Old 12-12-18, 08:51 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

I do like the G70 but am fairly impartial with the exterior styling. I think it looks nice, but nothing striking, whereas I think the Stinger is just gorgeous. I do like the G70 interior styling better than the Stinger interior, however.

The 340i has a very nice appearance, it's just that they are everywhere. That engine is magic, though.
Old 12-12-18, 01:53 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,798 Likes on 1,927 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I do like the G70 but am fairly impartial with the exterior styling. I think it looks nice, but nothing striking, whereas I think the Stinger is just gorgeous. I do like the G70 interior styling better than the Stinger interior, however.

The 340i has a very nice appearance, it's just that they are everywhere. That engine is magic, though.
I showed my wife some pics of the G70 and she actually prefers the look of it to the Stinger. I will say the G70 looks more expensive, but the Stinger is more distinctive. My wife didn't like the Stinger at all. Weird, but I'll take it.

The G70 is definitely attractive, but suffers from being somewhat generic. I'd still rock one though.