Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New RAV4 interior really sucks.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-18, 05:55 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Perhaps it is a first model year thing, but it’s looks looks Toyota went a step back in the name of profits. Especially when the last few Toyota model interiors they released were very good.
These might be the first ones coming off the production line. Did you happen to notice where these are manufactured? Canada or Japan? Defiinitely not Toyota and what the company made its reputation on.
Old 12-15-18, 06:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
These might be the first ones coming off the production line. Did you happen to notice where these are manufactured? Canada or Japan? Defiinitely not Toyota and what the company made its reputation on.

I thought of that, too, but Toyota doesn't have a history of screwing up on their first-year models, or sending half-assembled vehicles to dealerships for sale. Toyota usually verifies the quality before they start actual shipments to dealers. Of course, like I told Jill earlier, the RAV-4 sales-numbers are enormous, and there may be just enough pressure on the assembly lines to get them out that some things might be overlooked.
Old 12-15-18, 06:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I did not look at all of them. But the first one on Friday night was from Canada. I am assuming they are all coming from Canada.
Old 12-15-18, 09:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i've said it before, toyota is the new gm... cost cutting everywhere for profits, and resting on their laurels and reputation of high reliability. their huge profits will continue until disrupted... .
I don't agree. GM had some serious problems in the past, and sort of still do. I criticized the interior for materials and fit and finish. Overall, the interior has a pretty nice design and is interesting and so is the exterior. Add in the incredible amount of choice and variation. Very competitive fuel economy for the I4. Stunning fuel economy for the hybrid. 200+ horses now available which I think its class leading. Three different AWD options (one of them torque vectoring) The layout is pretty easy going and the view is nice. Then consider all of the standard safety features across the Toyota line up. The new Rav4 is a compelling choice.

Anyways, if you want to hit at Toyota, also look at GM or Ford for their cost cutting, both removed the height adjustable seat belts and went to a fixed design where you cannot change the height of the belt. Buick charges $60K large for their Enclave and did this as well. The new GM truck interiors are not the best out there, although I do like them. I also do not consider the Hyundai Tucson design inside all that great as it look a bit dated..,

You can't really go wrong with any of the current cross-over SUVs from anyone....you could not say the same with the past GM cute utes.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-15-18 at 10:07 PM.
Old 12-16-18, 10:21 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,378 Likes on 1,560 Posts

You can't really go wrong with any of the current cross-over SUVs from anyone....you could not say the same with the past GM cute utes.
that's true. agreed.
Old 12-16-18, 05:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Man, thats a real bummer to see. I had high hopes for it.

It'll be interesting to see how the interior looks on the new Corolla...
Old 12-16-18, 06:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS

It'll be interesting to see how the interior looks on the new Corolla...
The Japan made Corolla Hatch interior is not bad. Definitely meets or perhaps exceeds the expectations, all depending if you like the Toyota brand or not. If one is a typical hater, they will cry about something. . Although there is no sunroof available and the hatch is a bit small and slanted too much. More than likely there will be some compromises made to the domestic made Corolla, even though the interior is pretty much the same.
Old 12-16-18, 07:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The Japan made Corolla Hatch interior is not bad. Definitely meets or perhaps exceeds the expectations, all depending if you like the Toyota brand or not. If one is a typical hater, they will cry about something. . Although there is no sunroof available and the hatch is a bit small and slanted too much. More than likely there will be some compromises made to the domestic made Corolla, even though the interior is pretty much the same.
Corolla sedan should likely be the same...
Old 12-16-18, 07:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Corolla sedan should likely be the same...
Should be the same. However, if you ever sat in the domestic Corolla vs the Japan made Corolla iM, the Japan made model had soft touch upper door panels vs hard plastic in the sedan, there were more gloss trim on the doors, and under hood cover. All despite being the same interior design. There was also an IRS in the hatch and not for the sedan. I have always expected domestic made Toyota’s to have more compromises on the design.
Old 12-16-18, 07:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Should be the same. However, if you ever sat in the domestic Corolla vs the Japan made Corolla iM, the Japan made model had soft touch upper door panels vs hard plastic in the sedan, there were more gloss trim on the doors, and under hood cover. All despite being the same interior design. There was also an IRS in the hatch and not for the sedan. I have always expected domestic made Toyota’s to have more compromises on the design.
interesting...I wouldn't have expected that...
Old 12-16-18, 07:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

interesting...I wouldn't have expected that...
Why not? Japan based designs always seem to be a little more complete and polished compared to the US stuff. When have you ever seen a Toyota coming from Japan missing something a seat height adjustment that is absent in the Tacoma. Look at how long they have left the Sequoia without a refresh that is significant?
Old 12-16-18, 07:47 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why not? Japan based designs always seem to be a little more complete and polished compared to the US stuff. When have you ever seen a Toyota coming from Japan missing something a seat height adjustment that is absent in the Tacoma. Look at how long they have left the Sequoia without a refresh that is significant?
To a certain extent, we have to look outside ourselves and see Japan's domestic market in its context. There is of course the Corolla's position there vs here. The Japanese do not have people using gigantic 5000 lb pickup trucks as family wagons and as a defense against a possible collision. The laws in Japan are pretty strict so you don't necessarily have every TDH (Tom, ****, Harry) driving around running over pavement with a gigantic SUV/pickup because he thinks he's entitled to it.

The Corolla is a family vehicle there and in the densely populated streets and roads it is going to see better quality IMO. Here it's seen as a cheap commuter car and often promoted as a "youth" brand.
Old 12-16-18, 08:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

To a certain extent, we have to look outside ourselves and see Japan's domestic market in its context. There is of course the Corolla's position there vs here. The Japanese do not have people using gigantic 5000 lb pickup trucks as family wagons and as a defense against a possible collision. The laws in Japan are pretty strict so you don't necessarily have every TDH (Tom, ****, Harry) driving around running over pavement with a gigantic SUV/pickup because he thinks he's entitled to it.

The Corolla is a family vehicle there and in the densely populated streets and roads it is going to see better quality IMO. Here it's seen as a cheap commuter car and often promoted as a "youth" brand.
I honestly could not tell you where the Corolla is positioned in Japan, my guess it is the same for all regions. Toyota Japan also has Camry as well as well as a lot of other sedans, The difference was in the Corolla hatch. I forget to mention earlier the hatch also came equipped to the US with power folding mirrors, something very rare to see. I have always thought Japan sourced designed Toyota's are a bit better than domestic made model designs

But back to the Rav4, I would be interested to know if the Japan made models are of a bit better quality, however I do not think any JDM versions will be shipped to North America.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-16-18 at 08:24 PM.
Old 12-17-18, 06:45 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Nope. Not any more. You're talking way in the past.....more than 10 years.
look at the Sierra/Silverado last year vs this year, then look at the Rams. Out of the Big 3, the Chevy/GM has by far the ugliest interior and exteriors
Old 12-17-18, 06:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
look at the Sierra/Silverado last year vs this year, then look at the Rams. Out of the Big 3, the Chevy/GM has by far the ugliest interior and exteriors
Well, if you are talking about the upcoming 2020 Silverado, yes (the front end is ridiculous), but I was refering to the present lineup.

Quick Reply: New RAV4 interior really sucks.