Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New RAV4 interior really sucks.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-18, 07:02 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, if you are talking about the upcoming 2020 Silverado, yes (the front end is ridiculous), but I was refering to the present lineup.
The new interiors of the GM trucks are pretty crappy as well. Although I really like the interior design and for some reason I like it. RAM is leaps and bounds far nicer. Ford F-150 is pretty good but not better than the RAM.
Old 12-17-18, 07:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

The new interiors of the GM trucks are pretty crappy as well. Although I really like the interior design and for some reason I like it. RAM is leaps and bounds far nicer. Ford F-150 is pretty good but not better than the RAM.
The Ram is the truck to get for comfort.....hands-down (I can understand why Josh is attracted to them). But all of the (current) American trucks, IMO, use better materials inside than the Toyotas, though the Toyotas excel in drivetrain reliability.

We all have gotten a little off topic, too....the new RAV-4 interior.

Though I know it's beyond my control, I'm getting a little irked at the long wait for the new RAV-4 to arrive here in the D.C.area. Several of my neighbors (and one of my church-colleagues) are interested in one, and were also waiting. My next-door neighbor finally gave up....and came home with a new CR-V. If you want (and with their permission) I'll post a shot of it...but it's just a typical silver one that goes out the door by the thousands each year.
Old 12-17-18, 07:21 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I'm surprised they are not showing up in DC yet. We certainly have them on the lots here (Seattle).
Old 12-17-18, 07:56 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
I'm surprised they are not showing up in DC yet. We certainly have them on the lots here (Seattle).
Well, they are all built in Canada for the US. So perhaps they want the Northern states to get it first for snow and awd selling reasons.
Old 12-17-18, 04:23 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Well, they are all built in Canada for the US. So perhaps they want the Northern states to get it first for snow and awd selling reasons.
this is not true at all.

Only 40% of Rav4's sold in NA are actually made in Canada... Majority is made in Japan and has been for last few years because Toyota does not have enough capacity in Canada.
Old 12-17-18, 04:24 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Should be the same. However, if you ever sat in the domestic Corolla vs the Japan made Corolla iM, the Japan made model had soft touch upper door panels vs hard plastic in the sedan, there were more gloss trim on the doors, and under hood cover. All despite being the same interior design. There was also an IRS in the hatch and not for the sedan. I have always expected domestic made Toyota’s to have more compromises on the design.
different cars for different markets... now Corolla is same worldwide, so you get same design and IRS in both vehicles. I am sure there will be some other differences between the two - for instance Corolla sedan now has longer wheelbase than Hatch.
Old 12-17-18, 04:29 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
this is not true at all.

Only 40% of Rav4's sold in NA are actually made in Canada... Majority is made in Japan and has been for last few years because Toyota does not have enough capacity in Canada.
Incorrect. Woodstock, ONT will manufacture the RAV for NA.

https://driving.ca/toyota/rav4/auto-...4s-second-home
Old 12-17-18, 05:24 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

The new RAV4 is produced on 2 production lines in Southern Ontario -- the Woodstock line and the Cambridge North line (which up until recently produced the Corolla sedan). The Cambridge South line continues to produce the RX.

I don't know the production capacity of the individual lines but the total capacity over the 3 lines seems to be 500,000 (split over the RAV4 and the RX). Considering that Canadian and American combined sales of the RAV4 in 2017 was close to 500,000, there may not be enough RAV4 production capacity in the 2 Toyota Motor Manufacturing Canada lines that produce the RAV4 to satisfy all demand.
Old 12-17-18, 05:42 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MattyG
Incorrect. Woodstock, ONT will manufacture the RAV for NA.

https://driving.ca/toyota/rav4/auto-...4s-second-home
my numbers were for November 2019 sales of Rav4, so old model... even so, new factory wont be at full production numbers for another 6 months, so quite likely right now there should be significant number of Rav4's coming from Japan.
Old 12-17-18, 05:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

my numbers were for November 2019 sales of Rav4, so old model... even so, new factory wont be at full production numbers for another 6 months, so quite likely right now there should be significant number of Rav4's coming from Japan.
Seems unclear, though, what Trump's tariffs will do to the Japan-sourced RAV-4s in the U.S.market. The Canadian-sourced ones are (probably) exempt....but I don't know that for a fact.
Old 12-17-18, 06:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Looks like you are indeed correct. There are some 2019 JT models of the Rav4 in the Carson Toyota inventory.
Old 12-17-18, 06:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Seems unclear, though, what Trump's tariffs will do to the Japan-sourced RAV-4s in the U.S.market. The Canadian-sourced ones are (probably) exempt....but I don't know that for a fact.
It's a fact there are no tariffs on North American built cars. Called NAFTA.
Old 12-17-18, 06:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Looks like you are indeed correct. There are some 2019 JT models of the Rav4 in the Carson Toyota inventory.

Good catch, Jill. Yes, that is indeed one way to spot a vehicle from a Japanese-sourced plant....the first digit in the VIN will be "J".

Carson seems to be just receiving their first 2019 RAV-4s as we speak.......so, hopefully, we here on the East Coast won't be much longer.
Old 12-17-18, 06:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

It's a fact there are no tariffs on North American built cars. Called NAFTA.
Trump just negotiated a recent NAFTA revision with both Canada and Mexico.....but, as I understand it, they haven't released all for the details. However, I won't doubt your word for it, since you get the latest Canadian news there from Toronto.
Old 12-17-18, 06:14 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

All of the 2019s near me seem to be built in Japan.

Quick Reply: New RAV4 interior really sucks.