Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New RAV4 interior really sucks.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-18, 06:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
All of the 2019s near me seem to be built in Japan.
I would love to see if there is a difference in build quality.
Old 12-17-18, 06:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

All of the 2019s near me seem to be built in Japan.

Independent of any tariff-sourced effects, that would make at least some sense...they wouldn't have very far to be shipped by truck or train after reaching the Seattle port and being unloaded off the ship.

Also begs the question of how many vehicles the Japanese plants can produce after all of the earthquake and typhoon damage they have had in the country lately.
Old 12-17-18, 06:27 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

All of the 2019s I am finding on the east coast are indeed Canadian built models.
Old 12-17-18, 06:35 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

I’ve owned both American built and Japanese built Toyota vehicles and have never experienced a difference in build quality. Others disagree so it’s doubtful that everyone will agree on the subject.
Old 12-18-18, 04:26 PM
TriC
Racer

Received 267 Likes on 201 Posts

I’ve owned both American built and Japanese built Toyota vehicles and have never experienced a difference in build quality. Others disagree so it’s doubtful that everyone will agree on the subject.
The build quality on my Indiana manufactured '16 Sienna XLE is the same as my wife's made in Japan '16 RAV4 Hybrid Limited.
Old 12-18-18, 04:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

There's an old saying, particularly at American plants (which perhaps might make some sense), that Monday and Friday cars are generally more risky than those built in the middle of the week. That's because workers, on a Friday, particularly in the afternoon, have their minds more on Friday Night parties and what they are going to do over the weekend than on the job at hand...the car in front of them. Monday mornings, of course, are often accompanied by the Blues and a sense of depression...the start of a new work-week. Oh, yes....and possible hangovers.

The work culture/ethic is somewhat different in Japan, where workers, managers, and companies all have a different (and more co-operative) attitude towards each other than what is typical in the U.S., so the typical Monday/Friday risks here may (?) not be as pronounced in that culture.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-18-18 at 04:48 PM.
Old 12-18-18, 04:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,735 Likes on 1,957 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
There's an old saying, particularly at American plants (which perhaps might make some sense), that Monday and Friday cars are generally more risky than those built in the middle of the week. That's because workers, on a Friday, particularly in the afternoon, have their minds more on Friday Night parties and what they are going to do over the weekend than on the job at hand...the car in front of them. Monday mornings, of course, are often accompanied by the Blues and a sense of depression...the start of a new work-week. Oh, yes....and possible hangovers.

The work culture/ethic is somewhat different in Japan, where workers, managers, and companies all have a different (and more co-operative) attitude towards each other than what is typical in the U.S., so the typical Monday/Friday risks here may (?) not be as pronounced in that culture.
This is all just BS. Factories operate on a 7 day schedule. You have shift workers who are coming on and coming off. Every day is some workers Friday and some workers Monday. Some workers get off work at 10AM, and some start work at 3PM.
Old 12-18-18, 05:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
This is all just BS. Factories operate on a 7 day schedule. You have shift workers who are coming on and coming off. Every day is some workers Friday and some workers Monday. Some workers get off work at 10AM, and some start work at 3PM.

I'm not necessarily sold on the old concept of Monday/Friday Lemons myself, particularly in this day of robots and automation. I mentioned it, though, because, in American culture, it was popularly believed for decades, particularly before so many things became automated. Japanese culture, in contrast, is significantly different...although much of their auto-assembly-process is automated, too.
Old 12-18-18, 05:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,735 Likes on 1,957 Posts

I'm not necessarily sold on the old concept of Monday/Friday Lemons myself, particularly in this day of robots and automation. I mentioned it, though, because, in American culture, it was popularly believed for decades, particularly before so many things became automated. Japanese culture, in contrast, is significantly different...although much of their auto-assembly-process is automated, too.
Its just an old wives tale.
Old 12-18-18, 07:08 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Trump just negotiated a recent NAFTA revision with both Canada and Mexico.....but, as I understand it, they haven't released all for the details. However, I won't doubt your word for it, since you get the latest Canadian news there from Toronto.
The USA, Mexico and Canada recently negotiated an update to NAFTA (now called USMCA by Mr. Trump) but it has NOT yet been ratified by Congress nor the legislatures in Canadian and Mexican. Until it is, NAFTA remains in effect. Although Mr. Trump has threatened to cancel NAFTA, he has not done so, and NAFTA remains in effect.

There are no automotive tariffs under NAFTA.
Old 12-18-18, 07:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
The USA, Mexico and Canada recently negotiated an update to NAFTA (now called USMCA by Mr. Trump) but it has NOT yet been ratified by Congress nor the legislatures in Canadian and Mexican. Until it is, NAFTA remains in effect. Although Mr. Trump has threatened to cancel NAFTA, he has not done so, and NAFTA remains in effect.
Not sure about Canada and its Constitution, but, in the U.S, how much Congress gets involved (and votes on) depends on whether it is considered simply a trade agreement or a formal treaty. If a treaty, Congress must approve it.
Old 12-19-18, 05:41 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Jill. A bit disappointing to see the misalignment and gaps. Though a colleague of mine saw it last Thursday and was very happy with it. He's particular to interior fit and finish and said it was an improvement to the last gen. Might be (and hopefully is) just a bad initial batch to what you saw so far.
Old 12-19-18, 06:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Jill. A bit disappointing to see the misalignment and gaps. Though a colleague of mine saw it last Thursday and was very happy with it. He's particular to interior fit and finish and said it was an improvement to the last gen. Might be (and hopefully is) just a bad initial batch to what you saw so far.
I had earlier thought that myself, but Toyota, in general, is usually not in the habit of sending half-assembled early-production models, even with traditional first-year teething. Of course, I have to admit that one of the initial C-HRs I sat in had some inexcusable defects inside.....worse than the things that Jill saw in the RAV-4.
Old 12-19-18, 08:38 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Thank goodness that's not really true, as Monday and Friday equate to 40% of the work week.
Old 12-19-18, 10:58 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Did you look at just the one? I think the Rav4 interior you saw might of been a poor representation of the new generation, and some will slip through the cracks. But the majority will be tight.

Quick Reply: New RAV4 interior really sucks.