Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New RAV4 interior really sucks.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-18, 07:31 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
I suppose you're right. I don't perceive it as a compact though considering the UX and CHr. The rav4/NX fall in between a compact and midsize.
I don’t think the NX or RAV4 are compacts. Small suvs yes. The HCR and UX are compacts.
Old 12-20-18, 07:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I don’t think the NX or RAV4 are compacts.
Yep......size-wise, at least, they are both C-Class (compact) CUVs, though the EPA doesn't always rate it that way...they use interior volume. Rogerh00, though, may have a point about the latest RAV-4 actually being on the border between compact and mid-size.

The C-HR and UX, size-wise, are one size (B-class) smaller than C-Class compacts, and are considered sub-compacts.
Old 12-20-18, 08:36 PM
rjfjdudj
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So today. We went to another Toyota dealer to get a new gas cap for my 4Runner as the CEL is driving me crazy. Inside, this dealer had three different models. Base, mid and the top. Good to note, the top trim level does have more soft touch materials on the doors, the limited is quite nice.

But on second go around, the fit and finish is even worse than the first look. Here are some additional pics of misaligned panels and parts and cheap materials altogether. It is quite insulting.

the steering wheel has the same HARD PLASTIC DIMPLE design as my 2008 Rav4. Toyotas vehicles are just plain ugly and uninspiring. After my Lexus ISF. And when my Rav4 dies. I will be headed to Mazda
Old 12-20-18, 08:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rjfjdudj
the steering wheel has the same HARD PLASTIC DIMPLE design as my 2008 Rav4. Toyotas vehicles are just plain ugly and uninspiring. After my Lexus ISF. And when my Rav4 dies. I will be headed to Mazda
I was highlighting the panel gap on the steering wheel cover. Is that what you mean by dimple?
Old 12-21-18, 04:28 AM
rjfjdudj
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was highlighting the panel gap on the steering wheel cover. Is that what you mean by dimple?
No, I was referring to the actual dimples on the cheap plastic. If you look at the picture you can see what look to be little bumps on the actual plastic, not any gaps? These were present on my 2008 Rav4 which started out with the new design in 2006. Toyota interiors have been very unimpressive over the last decade of more and their Lexus counterparts even more so in my opinion for the money you are paying
Old 12-21-18, 05:45 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rjfjdudj
No, I was referring to the actual dimples on the cheap plastic. If you look at the picture you can see what look to be little bumps on the actual plastic, not any gaps? These were present on my 2008 Rav4 which started out with the new design in 2006. Toyota interiors have been very unimpressive over the last decade of more and their Lexus counterparts even more so in my opinion for the money you are paying
I see what you mean by dimples now, they didn’t really bother me. But I guess I would notice them more now seeing how you mentioned them. As for Toyota and Lexus interiors over the years being unimpressive, I disagree.
Old 12-21-18, 05:49 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rogerh00
I shopped a 2017 Rav4 and thought the interior was awful. I
Interesting that you call the infield awful. It’s the best selling Toyota model in the US, so I wonder what the people who buy them actually think. I didn’t really like the last generation RAV4, but that was more with the overall drive and the idea that you pay so much for a 4 cylinder.
Old 12-21-18, 06:15 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 236 Likes on 174 Posts

I was considering waiting to buy a loaded 2019 RAV4 for my son's first car, but having seen it in person, I'm glad I didn't. The one year old CPO RX350 I bought was a much, much better deal.
Old 12-21-18, 08:05 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Interesting that you call the infield awful. It’s the best selling Toyota model in the US, so I wonder what the people who buy them actually think. I didn’t really like the last generation RAV4, but that was more with the overall drive and the idea that you pay so much for a 4 cylinder.
I don't own one, but my parents do. They own a 2013 Limited, their second RAV4. They've had it for about 5.5 years. I've spent considerable time in it, both as a driver and as a passenger.

As for my impressions -

I like the interior design. The dash is attractive to me, especially with the nice padded portion and storage shelf. The interior is comfortable and very well equipped. I find the front seats to be comfortable and roomy. I am not tall, but have long legs (36" inseam) so I am often challenged for legroom, but that is not the case here. I don't even need to have the front seats all the way back to leave plenty of clearance between my knees and the dash.

The rear seat is very roomy as well. Not really wide for 3 adults, but very comfortable for 3 kids or 2 adults. Cargo capacity is also large.

Interior materials are a mix. I think the dash is nicely done but the lower portions of the door panels and the center console are unimpressive, at least in materials quality Carpeting is also very cheap. My Highlander has the same stuff and I don't like it. Not enough to be a real issue, but for sure it could be better.

The ride is comfortable and reasonably quiet. The engine is buzzy at low RPMs but not intrusive. Gas mileage is good.

My parents' impression -

They love it. They've driven it all over, everywhere along the west coast (Seattle to LA) and from Seattle to Minneapolis. The hard plastics on the doors are of no consequence to them and they couldn't care less. The only complaint my dad has ever had about it is that he doesn't like the dark gray plastic on the lower bumpers and around the wheel wells.

They have over 60k miles on it. They recently had to change the tires, and otherwise just pay for routine maintenance. They did not have a single warranty claim or other issue. They are 100% satisfied with it.

Old 12-21-18, 03:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

^^^. Thanks for the interesting response. Very interesting to read. Most people seem to like the RAV4, I think the new one has an excellent design for the interior as well as the exterior. I am sure you parents would like it. My parents looked at the RAV4 hybrid when trading in their ES350, then they tried out the Avalon and realized that their was no need for a RAV4 as they already have a 4Runner.

I think my examples of the ill fitting parts won’t matter to many people. People seem to not care about the minor details.
Old 12-21-18, 06:26 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I think my examples of the ill fitting parts won’t matter to many people. People seem to not care about the minor details.
I believe that you are right.

As long as the fit and finish issues are merely minor misalignments that you do not have to peer at too closely to notice and do not affect how buttons or dials or levers work; as long as the "hard plastic" is durable, and does not crack and break easily; and as long as the "paper thin glovebox door" stays closed and latched, I believe that most buyers will accept those small issues.

As long as the vehicle still works as intended and the car does not have a reputation for leaving the driver stranded, I believe that most buyers will overlook these as merely minor issues.
Old 12-21-18, 06:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
I believe that you are right.

As long as the fit and finish issues are merely minor misalignments that you do not have to peer at too closely to notice and do not affect how buttons or dials or levers work; as long as the "hard plastic" is durable, and does not crack and break easily; and as long as the "paper thin glovebox door" stays closed and latched, I believe that most buyers will accept those small issues.

As long as the vehicle still works as intended and the car does not have a reputation for leaving the driver stranded, I believe that most buyers will overlook these as merely minor issues.

Like I've said before, even with the imperfections on today's cars, we're basically spoiled. I can remember, when you took a new car home, particularly from Chrysler, but also from GM to a lesser extent, you had to finish assembling it yourself. First thing I'd do is get out a couple of Phillips-screwdrivers from my tool box and tighten up all the screw-heads that were still loose, to help prevent rattles. Then I'd use either Metric or English sockets and box-end wrenches (as needed) on looser-than-necessary fittings. Then, I'd usually spend the next couple of months in and out of the dealership getting things like unbalanced tires/wheels, bad alignment, defective speedometer cables, carburator problems, etc....taken care of. Finally, if you were lucky, after a couple of months of annoyances, you might have a car that was fit to drive.....and then the standard 1-year/12,000 warranty would run out a few months later LOL.

And we wonder why Japanese cars took over the market in the 1980s.
Old 12-21-18, 06:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

My parents looked at the RAV4 hybrid when trading in their ES350, then they tried out the Avalon and realized that their was no need for a RAV4 as they already have a 4Runner.
Toyota was smart. They realize there is still a market for sedans, and that this idea that everybody wants SUVs, though with maybe some truth to it, is way overblown.

I wish your parents the best of luck with the Avalon. Should last them a long time if they take care of it.
Old 12-21-18, 07:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu

Thanks for the nice response. I don't know if people even look at these things as issues, I think it is all about expectations. I don't think most people enter a Toyota dealer expecting best in class for any particular model. I think most people go in thinking about new or fresh design, lots of safety features, spacious, fuel efficient, value in the price and then fit and finish among interiors. Hard plastics in any mainstream vehicle should not be looked at as drawback IMO. I will admit, I went in thinking the interior of the new RAV4 would surpass my previous expectations based on solid reviews it was getting. For what it is, the new RAV4 is a entry level 4 cylinder cross-over with a starting MSRP of $27K US, what does one expect at that price point?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-21-18 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-22-18, 07:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I will admit, I went in thinking the interior of the new RAV4 would surpass my previous expectations based on solid reviews it was getting. For what it is, the new RAV4 is a entry level 4 cylinder cross-over with a starting MSRP of $27K US, what does one expect at that price point?
I just got done with my full-review. The base version does indeed have bargain-basement materials inside, but the Limited is much better. IMO, for trim/material quality, it is worth the extra $$$$$....though it also has a more complex video screen and Driver-Information display that IMO is more difficult to use.

Quick Reply: New RAV4 interior really sucks.