Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New RAV4 interior really sucks.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-18, 04:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
No matter how amazing the brand, when you build something new your bound to have issues (yes even after the pre-production unit testing that most automakers do before the assembly line is fully up and running). However by the end of the first MY better vehicle then say the first one off the lot.
You know. I would almost disagree with you. Case in point, GM engineers were on Motorweek once and they were interviewed on the podcast. They told how the first year of a new generation model is the model that is most complete from the manufacturer, it’s the model that is least cost cut. Almost instantly they claim, management is on them to make cuts and changes to help lower the cost of a new model. As each gen model year comes out, things get cut or modified to help save money, (usually stuff you can’t see). I believe they were referring to the Buick LaCrosse during the podcast.

For my personal experience, the 4Runner model I have lost its dip stick for the transmission, changeable rear bulbs for the brakes, changed to the 4.7 engine in that when from steel and aluminum parts to plastic parts. So on the bigger screme of things, what else might they have done compared to the first model year or second etc etc.

I do get the idea that one would think that a new model would possibly have teething issues.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-25-18 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-25-18, 04:30 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

You know. I would almost disagree with you. Case in point, GM engineers were on Motorweek once and they were interviewed on the podcast. They told how the first year of a new generation model is the model that is most complete from the manufacturer, it’s the model that is least cost cut. Almost instantly they claim, management is on them to make cuts and changes to help lower the cost of a new model. As each gen model year comes out, things get cut or modified to help save money, (usually stuff you can’t see). I believe they were referring to the Buick LaCrosse during the podcast.

For my personal experience, the 4Runner model I have lost its dip stick for the transmission, changeable rear bulbs for the brakes, changed to the 4.7 engine in that when from steel and aluminum parts to plastic parts. So on the bigger screme of things, what else might they have done compared to the first model year or second etc etc.

I do get the idea that one would think that a new model would possibly have teething issues.
cost cutting always sucks, but its also to a way to design a (hopefully) better simpler process of building. For instance, I know this is of course a different field, but the first couple of aircraft on a new design platform always have come up short in terms of meeting spec on certain fronts. Weight, mechanics etc on the 787 project. Usually buyers of the first run are informed and thus adequately aware and/or compensated for the shortcomings. By the end of the first batch, those issues are well sorted, PIPs are implemented and all is well. Its the nature of the beast when it comes to mass market production.

Also the most "complete" vehicle does not necessarily translate to the most reliable vehicle IMO.
Old 12-25-18, 04:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by coolsaber
cost cutting always sucks, but its also to a way to design a (hopefully) better simpler process of building. For instance, I know this is of course a different field, but the first couple of aircraft on a new design platform always have come up short in terms of meeting spec on certain fronts. Weight, mechanics etc on the 787 project. Usually buyers of the first run are informed and thus adequately aware and/or compensated for the shortcomings. By the end of the first batch, those issues are well sorted, PIPs are implemented and all is well. Its the nature of the beast when it comes to mass market production.

Also the most "complete" vehicle does not necessarily translate to the most reliable vehicle IMO.
You made some valid points. I don't disagree per say. Just poiintIng out what car engineers were saying. My second year 4Runner has quality issues for sure, Our first Matrix with more miles now and my first year Corolla have had less issues. Almost none whatsoever on the Matrix. 4Runner has chipping rims, broken rear wiper, failed heated seat, and had a issue with the air bag light that needed to be repaired, stuck rear brake, leaking transmission line.. Just my thoughts.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-25-18 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-25-18, 05:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Its just an old wives tale.
True, it can't be totally proved, but there is a credible reason for it. The beginning and the end of the work week (including auto plants)tend to be periods when people's minds aren't totally on their jobs.

My Lacrosse, for example, I think, was built on a Friday (Buick informed me of the day), and sure enough, with less than 8000 miles on it, it already had one significant issue (the climate-control temperature-distribution problems) and a couple of smaller ones. In fact, it goes in the shop again the day after Christmas (Dec. 26) to repair the right-rear turn signal. Could be anything from a bulb to a flasher to a fuse to a short.

My Verano, in contrast, was almost perfect (except for some oil consumption in the rings) in the five years I owned it. Never went in the shop once for any true repair....only for tire replacement from road-debris. Of course, it was essentially a German Opel. I don't know what day of the week it was built, though.....I bought it literally out of the showroom, after a test-drive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemon_(automobile)

The idioms "Friday afternoon car" or "Monday morning car", were used to describe new cars that had been delivered with numerous faults or suffered from an excessive number of warranty claims early in their lives – based on the premise that assembly line workers were far more likely to make errors at the times when they were perceived to be least interested in the standard of their workmanship

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-25-18 at 05:49 PM.
Old 12-25-18, 05:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Correct, that is just the definition of the idiom. I'm aware that saying exists, I'm saying it doesn't have any basis in fact.
Old 12-25-18, 05:48 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
True, it can't be totally proved, but there is a credible reason for it. The beginning and the end of the work week (including auto plants)tend to be periods when people's minds aren't totally on their jobs.

My Lacrosse, for example, I think, was built on a Friday (Buick informed me of the day), and sure enough, with less than 8000 miles on it, it already had one significant issue (the climate-control temperature-distribution problems) and a couple of smaller ones. In fact, it goes in the shop again the day after Christmas (Dec. 26) to repair the right-rear turn signal. Could be anything from a bulb to a flasher to a fuse to a short.

I don't think any of this is true. I know someone whos son works at the Ford plant building Edge models. His hours are all over the place. Rarely ever does he finish work on a Friday on regular basis.
Old 12-25-18, 05:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I don't think any of this is true. I know someone whos son works at the Ford plant building Edge models. His hours are all over the place. Rarely ever does he finish work on a Friday on regular basis.
Yes, it's true, as Steve brought up earlier, that some factories work around the clock. But each shift of employees still starts and stops at certain times of the week...or day. That part doesn't change.
Old 12-25-18, 05:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, it's true, as Steve brought up earlier, that some factories work around the clock. But each shift of employees still starts and stops at certain times of the week...or day. That part doesn't change.
Doubt any of it is true. Makes no sense. Everyone's shift will vary.
Old 12-25-18, 05:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,949 Posts

You miss the point Mike, every day is some employees Friday and some employees Monday because of how their workweek is. So, by your logic EVERY day is a bad day for an assembly line.

Its just an old wives tale. Like saying when your nose itches somebody is talking about you or other BS like that.
Old 12-26-18, 05:27 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I remember Mike's claim of don't buy a monday or friday car but that was back in the 50's-60's before modern technology has transformed assembly lines. I remember coke bottles in the doors etc. but that is a thing of the past which Mike has a tendency to quote a lot. Robots have taken over.
Old 12-26-18, 06:52 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

My Verano, in contrast, was almost perfect (except for some oil consumption in the rings) in the five years I owned it. Never went in the shop once for any true repair....only for tire replacement from road-debris. Of course, it was essentially a German Opel. I don't know what day of the week it was built, though.....I bought it literally out of the showroom, after a test-drive.

Your issues stems more from the modules nd components from various suppliers. These issues is from cost cutting and nothing to do with when your vehicle was assembled. Although one can claim that those supplied parts that went into your vehicle were assembled on Mondays or Fridays. Now if your doors, hood, windshields start flying off then yea...
Old 12-26-18, 07:35 AM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

The RAV4 is hugly. But 98% of the SUV's are. He will be a bestseller, if the market doesn't plunge and it's core consumer is ruined.
Old 12-26-18, 07:49 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by situman
Your issues stems more from the modules nd components from various suppliers. These issues is from cost cutting and nothing to do with when your vehicle was assembled. Although one can claim that those supplied parts that went into your vehicle were assembled on Mondays or Fridays. Now if your doors, hood, windshields start flying off then yea...
This makes sense. There are sat and sun shifts as well as overnight shifts etc etc.
Old 12-26-18, 07:51 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Benoit
The RAV4 is hugly. But 98% of the SUV's are. He will be a bestseller, if the market doesn't plunge and it's core consumer is ruined.
Would still be a big seller even if the market plunges. But I see what you mean. I don't think it's hugly at all.
Old 12-26-18, 10:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rogerh00
I remember Mike's claim of don't buy a monday or friday car but that was back in the 50's-60's before modern technology has transformed assembly lines. I remember coke bottles in the doors etc. but that is a thing of the past which Mike has a tendency to quote a lot. Robots have taken over.
Ha.....if you remember coke bottles in the doors, you probably go back farther than I do LOL.

Some of the cars I can remember seeing, though, were probably assembled with a different kind of coke.

Quick Reply: New RAV4 interior really sucks.