Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New RAV4 interior really sucks.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-18, 10:30 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Ha.....if you remember coke bottles in the doors, you probably go back farther than I do LOL.

Some of the cars I can remember seeing, though, were probably assembled with a different kind of coke.
Ok. I don’t think any new cars are coming with coke bottles in their doors. Especially not from Toyota which has pretty good manufacturing processes that revolutionized auto manufacturing. Anyways, back on topic to the RAV4. It is pretty sad their is not power seat on the passenger seat, very disappointing. However, I am glad Toyota refrained from auto start/stop.
Old 12-26-18, 08:44 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

My folks checked out a 19 RAV4 XLE this week and they were very impressed with it. They like their 13, but felt the new one would be a huge upgrade.
Old 12-26-18, 09:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
My folks checked out a 19 RAV4 XLE this week and they were very impressed with it. They like their 13, but felt the new one would be a huge upgrade.
Nice to hear. I personally think it’s way to early to trade in a 2013 so fast. But that is just my opinion.
Old 12-27-18, 01:26 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,447 Likes on 1,604 Posts

5 years later and a brand new model, it should be a huge upgrade.
Old 12-27-18, 01:47 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,447 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I personally think it’s way to early to trade in a 2013 so fast. But that is just my opinion.
Average in u.s. is about 5-7.5 years...

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-vehicle-type/
Old 12-27-18, 07:30 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Nice to hear. I personally think it’s way to early to trade in a 2013 so fast. But that is just my opinion.
I don’t think they will. They were just at the dealer for service and saw it. They still love their 13.
Old 12-27-18, 10:56 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
With the CVT recalls etc, and this being the first platform shift for Toyota in a while, I`d wager that if you intend on keeping it long term, wait till next MY or at least towards the end of this MY (later build units). No matter how amazing the brand, when you build something new your bound to have issues (yes even after the pre-production unit testing that most automakers do before the assembly line is fully up and running). However by the end of the first MY better vehicle then say the first one off the lot.

Personal opinion formulated on personal experiences.
TNGA platform shift has started with Prius in 2015.... continued with Camry, Avalon and Corolla... Rav4 is getting it the latest of all mainstream Toyota's, and it is getting powertrains introduced in Camry.
It has nothing to do with CVT in Corolla at all or any other recalls they had in between (and they had plenty).

There are going to be at least 5-6 TSBs for Rav4 in first MY... I think that is good tradeoff for driving car year earlier, while it is fresh and interesting... in 2nd year you already have refresh looming in next 2 years, before your leasing/credit is finished, so you will be driving old model at one point.
Old 12-27-18, 02:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

Average in u.s. is about 5-7.5 years...

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-vehicle-type/
Can't view it asking for a subscription.

I don’t think they will. They were just at the dealer for service and saw it. They still love their 13.
I have always thought it is best to keep a Toyota or Honda for a long time,10+ years at least. Otherwise, there are so many other alternatives.
Old 12-27-18, 03:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Can't view it asking for a subscription.

What do you expect LOL? Everybody wants your money.

I have always thought it is best to keep a Toyota or Honda for a long time,10+ years at least. Otherwise, there are so many other alternatives.
With most vehicles, because of the parabola-shaped depreciation curve, the best time to replace it is either in the 4-6 year range or go a full 10 or 10+ years. Replace it too early, and you will lose money (and sometimes, as in the first two years, take a bath) because you will not have gotten your money's worth out of the vehicle. Keep it too long, and you will have lost too much in depreciation, while new-vehicle prices keep going up. The 4-6 year replacement cycle (which is right in the middle of the depreciation curve), while not the answer for everyone, makes sense for a lot of people, particularly those who need something reliable for daily commuting. Of course, that is also for average vehicle reliability.......a lemon, or an extremely reliable vehicle, could alter the situation somewhat, when you figure cost of repairs.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-27-18 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-28-18, 10:48 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
TNGA platform shift has started with Prius in 2015.... continued with Camry, Avalon and Corolla... Rav4 is getting it the latest of all mainstream Toyota's, and it is getting powertrains introduced in Camry.
It has nothing to do with CVT in Corolla at all or any other recalls they had in between (and they had plenty).

There are going to be at least 5-6 TSBs for Rav4 in first MY... I think that is good tradeoff for driving car year earlier, while it is fresh and interesting... in 2nd year you already have refresh looming in next 2 years, before your leasing/credit is finished, so you will be driving old model at one point.
while i want to agree with you that this has been a work in progress, each of those models have had some degree of tsb and recall, 18s camry for example with the 3 recalls pistons, fuel lines incorrectly plugged, brake assist vacuum pump issue. Mind you all of them within months of launch.

I do agree that everyday after launch you delay to purchase the car is one less day you are the first with the newest and greatest, but their is a price for exclusivity.
Old 12-28-18, 06:10 PM
slammry
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

meh. could be better