Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Annual Holiday Full-Review: 2019 Toyota RAV-4

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-18, 09:53 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

It should still blow away the CR-V. That is one crappy SUV. The CVT in that thing feels about as close to driving a boat on land as you can get. Horrendously bad.
Old 12-23-18, 09:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
It should still blow away the CR-V. That is one crappy SUV. The CVT in that thing feels about as close to driving a boat on land as you can get. Horrendously bad.
Well, if it blows the CR-V, it doesn't blow it very far......the CR-V itself sells in almost as large numbers as the RAV-4. And what you describe as a "boat" is simply the CR-V's generally comfort-oriented suspension. Not everyone wants to thump and pound over bumps.
Old 12-23-18, 10:16 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 242 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Just wondering.....How did you connect the styling to the CX-5?

obviously not literally identical but it's like the same shape
Old 12-23-18, 10:33 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Well, if it blows the CR-V, it doesn't blow it very far......the CR-V itself sells in almost as large numbers as the RAV-4. And what you describe as a "boat" is simply the CR-V's generally comfort-oriented suspension. Not everyone wants to thump and pound over bumps.
My boat reference was about the CVT and that has nothing to do with ride/suspension. Step on the gas, and you get lots of lag and lots of noise.
Old 12-24-18, 06:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bob04
My boat reference was about the CVT and that has nothing to do with ride/suspension. Step on the gas, and you get lots of lag and lots of noise.

OK, thanks for clarifying that Yes, what you describe is, in fact, called "motorboating" (you've probably heard me use the term before in describing CVTs). It's a term, used in auto-reviews, to describe the way that a typical, non-stepped CVT responds from rest or at low speeds under substantial throttle. What happens is that the RPM suddenly jumps into the power range, but the actual acceleration-response response lags a coupe of seconds behind. The response, in the water, to an outboard motor on a boat (hence the term), is quite similar. The motor speeds up the propeller, but the water churns for a couple of seconds before the boat actually starts moving.
Old 12-25-18, 01:48 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 242 Likes on 183 Posts

OK, thanks for clarifying that Yes, what you describe is, in fact, called "motorboating" (you've probably heard me use the term before in describing CVTs). It's a term, used in auto-reviews, to describe the way that a typical, non-stepped CVT responds from rest or at low speeds under substantial throttle. What happens is that the RPM suddenly jumps into the power range, but the actual acceleration-response response lags a coupe of seconds behind. The response, in the water, to an outboard motor on a boat (hence the term), is quite similar. The motor speeds up the propeller, but the water churns for a couple of seconds before the boat actually starts moving.
umm... yea i'm pretty sure that's not what motorboating is
Old 12-25-18, 02:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroock639
umm... yea i'm pretty sure that's not what motorboating is
In terms of autospeak, and how it relates to CVT transmissions, that's exactly what motorboating is. I didn't invent the term...it was coined by those who first started reviewing CVTs. Early CVTs (and some still do) imitate the motion of an outboard boat-motor and propeller-response.

This article, written by a well-known engineer at Road and Track Magazine, also describes it.

https://simanaitissays.com/2013/08/3...transmissions/

However, it was also renowned for its “motorboating,” the propensity of basic CVT cars to operate disconcertedly at constant engine rpm despite varying road speeds.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-25-18 at 02:56 AM.
Old 12-25-18, 04:10 AM
jer
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

I haven't had the opportunity to test out a new RAV4 however a family member has a 2018 CR-V Touring. Normal driving of the CR-V one really can't tell the difference between a CVT & 8 speed, and gas mileage is excellent. I believe most people looking at these vehicles will compare equipment, style, gas mileage, etc., with power train somewhere down on the list. It will be interesting, however, to see if Toyota pushes a lot of these to rental fleets. Living by a major airport, I drive by large holding lots of rentals, mostly FCA products, with some Toyotas, Hyundai's, and Ford products. Never see Honda's in there.
Old 12-25-18, 04:39 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by jer
I haven't had the opportunity to test out a new RAV4 however a family member has a 2018 CR-V Touring. Normal driving of the CR-V one really can't tell the difference between a CVT & 8 speed, and gas mileage is excellent. I believe most people looking at these vehicles will compare equipment, style, gas mileage, etc., with power train somewhere down on the list. It will be interesting, however, to see if Toyota pushes a lot of these to rental fleets. Living by a major airport, I drive by large holding lots of rentals, mostly FCA products, with some Toyotas, Hyundai's, and Ford products. Never see Honda's in there.
You are correct on that I travel at a minimum one week a month all over the US and usually rent the CUV class with Avis and I'm yet to see a Honda. I'm seeing a lot more Hyundai's though. Worse rental I had was the Jeep Renegade and best was the Volvo XC60 T5R. Hope a RAV4 becomes available.
Old 12-25-18, 09:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by plex
Worse rental I had was the Jeep Renegade .
No arguments there. I wasn't impressed wth the one I reviewed, either. A neighbor of mine has one barely a year old that already has pieces falling off of it.
Old 12-25-18, 10:25 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Honda does little to no fleet business which is why they don't show in rental lots.

As for the CR-V, it's excellent and feels perfectly natural in normal driving.

Talk of bad cvt's is out of date.
Old 12-25-18, 11:36 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

obviously not literally identical but it's like the same shape

The thing that stands out to me is why the wheel well cladding on the rav4 doesn't connect to the bottom? Looks weird to me.
Old 12-25-18, 03:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rogerh00
The thing that stands out to me is why the wheel well cladding on the rav4 doesn't connect to the bottom? Looks weird to me.

Maybe they save two or three cents worth of the stuff on each vehicle LOL.
Old 12-25-18, 03:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

That is seriously fugly.
Old 12-25-18, 03:39 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

That is seriously fugly.