Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford releases prices, now taking orders on the upcoming Ranger pickup.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-18, 05:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Ford releases prices, now taking orders on the upcoming Ranger pickup.

Ford has released prices, and now has the Build-You-Own/Pricing configurator for the U.S.-spec Ranger....but they still have not completely updated (or released) the rest of the Ranger web site. Release in the U.S. is still scheduled for early next year, but, from what I understand, Ford is now taking pre-orders (and has been, for a little while). I suspect that there are at least a couple of you on Car Chat that might be interested in this truck, as we have not had a new Ranger in the American market for about seven or eight years. The last one in the American market was dropped in late 2011...a victim of a somewhat dated design and the fact that customers perceived the larger F-150 to be a lot more truck for only a little more money. That may not be the case with this generation of Ranger, though it has already been on sale (with right-hand-drive) in Australia for several years. Upon release, of course, it will go head-to-head with the Toyota Tacoma, Nissan Frontier, and the GM Colorado/Canyon twins.

One of my close friends, and an ex-co-worker, has been waiting for something from Ford to replace his old 2001 Explorer Sport-Trac (which was essentially a four-door Ranger with a short bed). His checkbook is ready (if he likes this one), and I think he may end up being one of the first Ranger customers.

https://shop.ford.com/build/ranger/#...RWD.44U.XL.%5D

Old 12-22-18, 05:05 PM
EdgarLex
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

That interior actually looks pretty good. Assuming no big issues on the truck I think this will be a good seller.
Old 12-22-18, 05:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by EdgarLex
That interior actually looks pretty good. Assuming no big issues on the truck I think this will be a good seller.

I'd prefer, though, if another interior color (or two-tone) were offered. For now, in the American market, Ford is only offering it in solid black, though the bright showroom lights, in the above sample, makes it look gray. Personally, I prefer the interior of my vehicles not to look like a coal mine.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-22-18 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-22-18, 06:43 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

I'm a fan of grey interiors myself, which is what I currently have. I didn't mind black in my Fusion, although it could get a little toasty here in Vegas.

This new Ranger should sell really well. With 310 ft lbs coming on real early, it should scoot quicker than the Tacoma or Colorado. The prior ranger had a huge following that is still loyal to that little truck. I think Ford does have a challenge in trying to sell those guys, as they are fiercely opposed to anything larger(or more expensive) than the old Ranger. I think most buyers will be people coming from crossovers or wanting to downsize from an F-150(I'll stay in my F-150 as I prefer the size and the V8), as well as Tacoma and Colorado owners who would have purchased the Ranger had it been available when they were last in the market.