Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Someone’s trying to fill a Tesla with gas

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-18, 09:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Someone’s trying to fill a Tesla with gas

Here's a priceless video, of a poor naive lady, who obviously has no idea what she is driving, or what she is doing, trying to fill up a Tesla Model S at a gas pump. She goes back and forth, over the whole car, looking for a gas cap. The guys in the car behind her spoil it somewhat, IMO, by an excessive amount of laughing (you can mute it if you want). Given the circumstances, I would simply have gotten out of my car and helped her, and one of them finally did at the end. True, this case is funny, but I don't believe in poking fun at others, even if their problem is caused by their own ignorance. I'm a firm believer in the Golden Rule, and in the old axiom......help, don't hurt.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-28-18 at 09:36 PM.
Old 12-28-18, 10:13 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Oh geeze, poor lady.

"Don't believe in poking fun at others..." Then why make a post showing someone's mishap? Contradiction.
Old 12-29-18, 05:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Oh geeze, poor lady.

"Don't believe in poking fun at others..." Then why make a post showing someone's mishap? Contradiction.
I don't see it as a contradiction. The main point is that one must know what one is driving. It is a funny scene, of course, but that is different, at least IMO, from taking pleasure at making fun of others, which I don't do. That's also why I said I thought the guys laughed too much. And even one of them finally had some compassion and helped her. I wish I had been there so I could have helped her myself.

It also shows that, in some cases, Drivers-License requirements need to be changed. Most of the emphasis is put on the details of the State's driving laws, and, too often, basic knowledge of the vehicles themselves is neglected. I've met drivers that didn't even know how to put air in their tires.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-29-18 at 05:53 AM.
Old 12-29-18, 06:10 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Oh geeze, poor lady.

Since I work in NJ, I usually fill up there, and it's full service. Stupidly, even though NJ's tax went up 28 cents since 2016 and gasoline is no longer cheap? PA has gone up in lockstep, as it's a market. Look at DE and VA--and just imagine, there was a time when NJ was 10 cents cheaper than those.

Anyway, there are tons of people who don't know how to fill up their cars, as they have had full service in NJ since they learned to drive (do parents say let's go out of state so you can learn to pump, when teaching a teen?)

A downside to full service is it probably takes 3 to 4X as long to get out of there. When I was in Portland, OR, earlier this month, I said should I pump it, or wait? could have sworn it was full service here? Sure enough, finally a person comes over after maybe 3 min. of standing there.
Old 12-29-18, 06:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Since I work in NJ, I usually fill up there, and it's full service. Stupidly, even though NJ's tax went up 28 cents since 2016 and gasoline is no longer cheap? PA has gone up in lockstep, as it's a market. Look at DE and VA--and just imagine, there was a time when NJ was 10 cents cheaper than those.
Has PA also gone to full-service only now? If so, I was not aware of that. Or are you talking about just the state fuel-tax?

You mentioned VA. Even in my part of the state (the far north/ D.C. suburbs), traditionally the highest-priced area, regular gas has really dropped lately. Some stations, even with Top-Tier name-brands, are down to $2.29. Occasionally, you'll find one that is still above $2.50, or closer to $3.00, but that is now unusual.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-29-18 at 06:21 AM.
Old 12-29-18, 06:22 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I saw this a couple if days ago and my first thought was that it was fake/staged. Something about the laughing and the woman's actions. I'm a sceptic I guess.
Old 12-29-18, 06:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I saw this a couple if days ago and my first thought was that it was fake/staged. Something about the laughing and the woman's actions. I'm a sceptic I guess.

Possible, but don't bet on it. You would be surprised at what many drivers don't know. And, yes, that includes males. Lack of automotive knowledge is not gender-confined by any means. Thats another old and inaccurate stereotype.
Old 12-29-18, 06:47 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Has PA also gone to full-service only now? If so, I was not aware of that. Or are you talking about just the state fuel-tax?

You mentioned VA. Even in my part of the state (the far north/ D.C. suburbs), traditionally the highest-priced area, regular gas has really dropped lately. Some stations, even with Top-Tier name-brands, are down to $2.29. Occasionally, you'll find one that is still above $2.50, or closer to $3.00, but that is now unusual.
No not full service, but what is odd is the pricing. Back in 2000, PA was always 20 cents more than NJ, when fuel was around $1.099. At some point PA's tax increased, and the delta has always been 30 cents per gal (we are talking regular only).

So when NJ went up 24 cents overnight, so did PA--that was unusual if you ask me, that a market is that efficient. So no matter what NJ does, PA seems to do the same. Yet, DE, does not, and so DE is about 10+ cents cheaper than NJ today.

The gouging on premium imho is unreal today. Even the first time that fuel went over $3, premium was 20 cents more, as it was, when regular was $1.099. But today? Even Costco was charging 48 cents more for premium over regular--Costco! My theory is demand--more and more vehicles need premium today and there is less substitution. It used to be if there were a 24 cent tax, regular goes up 24, and premium maybe 15. not anymore...elasticity
Old 12-29-18, 07:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
So when NJ went up 24 cents overnight, so did PA--that was unusual if you ask me, that a market is that efficient. So no matter what NJ does, PA seems to do the same. Yet, DE, does not, and so DE is about 10+ cents cheaper than NJ today.
DE prides itself on low taxes (or no taxes). That's why so many corporations legally make their HQ there.

The gouging on premium imho is unreal today.
Absolutely. In my area there is about a 50% difference in the price between 87 and 91. It's absurd. Diesel fuel, too, to an extent, is also being price-gouged.

Back to the topic at hand, though, have you ever seen something like that...someone trying to put gas into an all-electric EV? That, alone, shows that we need better driver-training.
Old 12-29-18, 07:23 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

DE prides itself on low taxes (or no taxes). That's why so many corporations legally make their HQ there.

Absolutely. In my area there is about a 50% difference in the price between 87 and 91. It's absurd. Diesel fuel, too, to an extent, is also being price-gouged.

Back to the topic at hand, though, have you ever seen something like that...someone trying to put gas into an all-electric EV? That, alone, shows that we need better driver-training.
Have to be honest, on 2 occasions I got a diesel BMW loaner. When I went to fill them up upon return, both times I thought, what if I put premium in by accident, better be careful. Seriously, off the top of my head I don't remember why one cannot fit into the other. the other thing is the 335d got almost 40 mpg I was tempted to not even bother as I was barely putting in 2 gal. I know that lots of folks from all my rental experience, cheat, and even though the needle is at F when you pickup, the car is actually ~2 gal from full. Hey that's $5+ of cheating.
Old 12-29-18, 08:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Looks pretty genuine to me lol. The girl was obviously borrowing somebodys car or something like that and didnt know it was an electric car.

Begs the question though, if you loaned somebody your Tesla, you wouldnt walk them through how to charge it?

As for not making fun of people...its funny. When I do something stupid and people laugh at me, I laugh right along with them.
Old 12-29-18, 10:24 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

This reminds me of

Old 12-29-18, 12:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Looks pretty genuine to me lol. The girl was obviously borrowing somebodys car or something like that and didnt know it was an electric car.
That's what I was thinking, too, but you still need to know what you are doing. When I learned to fly, for instance, on high-wing Cessna 172s, when I transitioned into a low-wing Piper Cherokee, many controls and levers were quite different, located in different positions, and operated in different manners.....particularly for the flaps and fuel system. Even among aircraft of the same type, they often had different radios and avionics...you had to go over the instrument panel carefully and learn each one.

As for not making fun of people...its funny. When I do something stupid and people laugh at me, I laugh right along with them.

Perhaps so, but those guys, IMO, clearly got carried away. I posted it, though, because, even so, yes, it was a funny incident.
Old 12-29-18, 04:38 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

lmao this is great

i hope she made sure to use unleaded electricity
Old 12-29-18, 05:59 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Has PA also gone to full-service only now?
No--lockstep in $$.

Quick Reply: Someone’s trying to fill a Tesla with gas