Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which one would u turbo?
1st gen GS 300
6.38%
2nd gen GS 300
20.57%
SC 300
36.88%
IS 300
14.18%
Supra
21.99%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Which Lexus/Toyota to Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-03, 02:05 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
No SRT for me. Still waiting for the 30 claimed hp from the intake and ECU.

GS3 is a 4 speed auto and no e-shift with the turbo. So I would have to buy a 01 model?

But 1st gen 1997 GS is a 5 speed right.
Was an example of what you could do with a certain amount of $$

And , ok a 2001 be 25-28k and up to 10k to have someone do a turbo setup

2001 LEXUS GS300 LOADED,BLACK,LOW MILES.

Price: $24995

Color: BLACK

Miles: 34000

Last edited by jpa2400; 11-14-03 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-14-03, 02:08 PM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sick,

You have to ask yourself, do you need a four door car or a 2 door car? You can definitely have more female ladies in your car (with an ease) when you have a four door car....
Old 11-14-03, 02:52 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up i bet

you would miss the feel of the gs if you didn't go that way

p.s. price on the es300 please
Old 11-14-03, 03:06 PM
LexFather

You have to ask yourself, do you need a four door car or a 2 door car? You can definitely have more female ladies in your car (with an ease) when you have a four door car....
SOmething I have thought about. I can talk about my thought process more.

1. My ES 300 manual will be fixed sometime late next week or in 2 weeks. This is a 4-door. I DO NOT like FWD cars. They are boring, economical and just not performance oriented. So it will be great running around town and too and from work (though I live only 7.7 miles away from work) and school. I will fix this car up with the limited mods available. This is step 1.

2. I have had a SC 400 and it's my dad's now. So I've been there done that. The SC 400 is what got me hooked on RWD cars. Also it got me hooked on spending dough on cars sold 40-50k new as the build quality is on another level compared to sub 40k cars. I still love the SC, the design is TIMELESS and with hardly ANYONE rocking it in Atlanta, it would really stand out modded. But the backseat is for insurance purposes only and the trunk is rather small. I would consider either a 98-99 SC 400 with the 290vvti or a 95 SC 300 (my fav styled version) to turbo later. I do not care about stock features as it would not stay stock.

3. I bought an IS 300 for what, a month. Plenty peppy but from driving a GS 400 to a IS 300, the stock power missing is very apparent. The IS has room for 4 but clearly not as spacious as the GS. It does have HID standard and other nicities and it looks great to me. Super aftermarket potential. The price is also low for a 2001 model Lexus. I can turbo or supercharge later (the PLP kit is very tempting to do right away). I do not care about stock features as it would not stay stock.

4. GS 300. No one in ATL has a FI GS 300. Advantage. Also the price is cheaper than 400s. The only thing is I kind of don't want to start ALL OVER with the modding. Seems repitious. My GS was not the greatest but far from stock. Also, I would HAVE to FI right away as the GS 300 is slower than a stock IS 300. But I know this car like the back of my hand. It's home.

5. GS 400/430. Ahh, home. But again been there done that. Not sure I want to do it again, especially with the new GS around the block. I WON'T buy a new GS right away but like my old GS, after 2 years, get a clean model and let the depreciation hit someone else. Jamie has forced me to seriously consider FI.

6. New GS. If I like, I may just pimp the ES for 2 years and get a used certified 2005 GS in what 2006?

7. LS 400 (out of nowhere). I LOVE the look of the 98-00 model. It has NAV, updated VVti, etc. Spacious. No one in Atlanta has a modded one that year. It would seperate me from my SELOC members. Lexus flagship. I like that. Downside is, I don't even see swaybars for this thing. Very limited and expensive mods. But ohh, a black one with black grill and wheels. Hmmmmm.

8. Supra baby! Hanging with the Supra boyz, what a group of people, what a car. We all know it's incredible capabilities. Small though, more a fun toy for me.

9. Other car makers. 350Z is a thought, though I don't think I could sit inside the thing for more than 5 minutes. Mods for it, 350Z name.
G35c is a thought, I can live with the interior but for that dough, I require some respect when I say what kind of car I have. Looks great and mods available.
E36 M3, I still like this car but it is very hard edged but mods galore and the BMW group here is a great set of people.
EVO VIII, I really like this car's looks. Performance we all know. Seems to have an enthusiastic following. I have read their forums though and Mitsubishi is SH!ITTING on it's owners.
1999 996 Carerra, I love this car. A dream of mine. Prices are falling. Not bad maintenance. I thought.
C-5 Vette. Really has grown on me. Stellar performance. High insurance though.
GTO-I love the name, the car is sweet, 33k is a GREAT deal. RWD, V-8 OWNSZ me.

This is what my brain is going through since I know my car is totalled. My mom called me today, all she wanted to know was;

so what are you buying next.

Old 11-14-03, 03:08 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you gonna make the big decision man?
Old 11-14-03, 03:08 PM
LexFather

p.s. price on the es300 please
On my car? A new one?

Then I am HUGE on the total ownership experience. Reading all the nags on other forums compared to this one, and the way my family and I are treated by Lexus, it is hard to see a viable alternative. Toyota/Lexus has done a GREAT job covering most of the market.

Old 11-14-03, 03:24 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Talking sorry

your es300. thanks bryan
Old 11-14-03, 03:33 PM
LexFather

When you gonna make the big decision man?
Not until after January 6th, after I see the next GS production model.
your es300. thanks bryan

Old 11-14-03, 03:42 PM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

Sick,

Here is my attempt for a some kind of reasoning....

1. Keep the ES puppy. A great go getter and eough to fit four. A car that you don't have to worry about no matter where you go and where you park.

2. If this route is chosen, go with SC300. Living in Georgia you can make the SC300 go as fast as you want without worring too much about the smog law that we have in Cali.

3. Since you had a GS4 and you know what power and comfort is, you probably will not be satisfied with this choice in the long run.

4. Unless you know for sure that you are going with FI, you are definitely going to be disappointed with this choice. It is hard to step backwords when you know what you are missing.

5. Time to move on. Should wait to see the new model first.

6. see previous

7. You already have a comfortable cruiser (ES) why not use your money on something different.

8. Well, it's a Supra. It just depends on how much money you have and what kind of "beast" that you want this car to be. "can only carry one lady at a time unless they want to sit on your NOX bottle...hehee"

9. 350Z, G35c....... nice cars and fun to drive, but lack of luxury and "name" prestige (if this matters to you)
E36 M3....too played out. time to move on.
EVO VIII.....hot and eye catcher for now. How long will this last until the next hottest and fastest thing comes out? remember WRX?
996 Porche, what can I say. Big boys' toy.
C-5, good bang for your money. However, it does carry a little of that "old man's" image. Hey, that's what some people said about our GS, "old grandma's" image.
GTO, great legend, but need some more styling refinement.

Last edited by Kajukenbo; 11-14-03 at 03:43 PM.
Old 12-15-03, 01:51 PM
LexFather

Folks, I am not sure yet but there is a possibility I may buy myself a birthday present.... This poll and feedback has been helpful, thanks. And I am not telling

Old 12-15-03, 02:32 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Folks, I am not sure yet but there is a possibility I may buy myself a birthday present.... This poll and feedback has been helpful, thanks. And I am not telling
Damn I missed this one! I say keep your ES as a beater, pick up a 95 SC300 manual and BOOST!! If you compare price, body style relevance (not too dated), aftermarket support, etc you just CANT beat a SC! You could get a 95 and update the aero and be riding just like a 2000!!! Plus i just like them

Dont front you know I got 'cha opin!! (Old school black moon!!)

Old 12-15-03, 03:14 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn Sick.........when will you be spilling the beans?
Congrats by the way.
Old 12-15-03, 03:35 PM
Davtown
Lexus Champion

996 porsche ?
Old 12-15-03, 04:09 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

I'd turbo the SC. More original than turboing up a supra
Old 12-15-03, 05:59 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

turbo the SC300; looks awsome with a set of 18s or 19s and suspension; and you can make it go fast for little money (compared to all the others)... there's also way more research available for it; and almost everything from the supra bolts onto it

i'd personally pick up a 95 5-speed, pick up a 97 bodykit, some sick 19s, paint it all and swap in a 2jz-gte and do whatever you like to the motor; it'll be far faster than any of the other production cars out there; and look great; be super reliable...
did i mention the p1mp factor?

you dont want a GTO its shaping up to look like a Grand Prix (and you see those EVERYWHERE)

Quick Reply: Which Lexus/Toyota to Turbo?