Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Which Used Lexus Model(s) Should I Consider?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-19, 04:33 PM
tjduval
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Used Lexus Model(s) Should I Consider?

I am soon to be in the market for a used Lexus and I am wondering which model(s) I should consider.

I've been a car guy since high school; however, I've spent the past five years buying cars based solely on purchase cost. Sadly, I've just learned that my old Grand Marquis is unsafe to drive due to frame rust issue, the repair of which would far exceed the value of the car. I need to replace it, and I am finally in a position to spend more than a grand. Safety and reliability are paramount, of course, but I'd like some pizzazz, too. I want to be excited about changing oil again.

I am aware of the stellar reputation that Lexus has. Independent from that, I've been impressed with the build quality of the Lexus vehicles I've driven or ridden in.

Neither my wife nor I need a vehicle to commute. We live in a small city and are able to get by on one vehicle for running errands and taking trips. We have one infant and plan to have one or two more over the next few years. Our infant comes with a lot of stuff, including a jogging stroller. AWD would be helpful in the New England winter; however, RWD is doable with snow tires and weight in the trunk. We would like to keep the purchase price under $10,000.

I would love to get an IS 300 or IS 250; however, I'm not sure I'd be able to shoehorn a jogging stroller into the trunk. I have the same concern with the ES and GS. I like the LS, particularly the 2005 and 2006 model years; however, these seem to be in very short supply. I love the idea of a GX or LX, cost prohibitive as they may be. All things considered, the RX seems to be the most practical.

Has anyone recommendations as to which model(s) I should either seek out or steer clear of?
Old 01-01-19, 04:46 PM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

For $10k you ought to be able find a decently clean RX350 for that price.
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...5843/overview/

goodluck
Old 01-01-19, 04:46 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

I would look for a much newer car than what a $10k Lexus will get you since you have a newborn.

Have you looked at Toyota or Subaru - slightly used Legacy or Forester would make a great safe family car with AWD.
Much cheaper maintenance too.
Old 01-01-19, 05:20 PM
tjduval
Driver School Candidate

The RX 350 is at the top of the short list. Thank you.
Old 01-01-19, 05:35 PM
tjduval
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the reply. I have considered both Toyota and Subaru, the Highlander and the Outback, respectively, in particular. I figured a slightly older Lexus would be more reliable but if that's not the case then perhaps a Toyota or Subaru would make more sense.
Old 01-01-19, 05:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tjduval
All things considered, the RX seems to be the most practical.

Has anyone recommendations as to which model(s) I should either seek out or steer clear of?
I agree that the RX would be a great choice, but one thing I'd avoid is the F-Sport package...which, in the price-range you're looking at, will probably be not an issue anyway, since it has only been offered for the last couple of years. The F-Sport adds to the price, has more sharply-bolstered seats (in a nice Burgundy color, I'll admit), and a somewhat stiffer ride and road manners, with less pothole-impact-protection, from the suspension and lower-profile tires.
Old 01-01-19, 05:55 PM
tjduval
Driver School Candidate

I'll avoid the F-Sport due to the reasons you mentioned, particularly the bit about it being too new for my price range. It does look good, though.
Old 01-01-19, 06:59 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

RX would be the best choice with 2 small kids.
Old 01-02-19, 01:28 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,161 Likes on 857 Posts

My co-worker had two kids and was happy with his 2005 LS430. Once he had his third kid, he upgraded to a 2013 RX350.
Old 01-02-19, 01:44 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tjduval
Thank you for the reply. I have considered both Toyota and Subaru, the Highlander and the Outback, respectively, in particular. I figured a slightly older Lexus would be more reliable but if that's not the case then perhaps a Toyota or Subaru would make more sense.
Definitely look for a Highlander Limited or RX. It's your best option with the possibility of a growing family and living in a moderate winter belt. I'd tell you a minivan is the best bet here (Odessey, Sienna), but those are out of favor for pizzaz, which you say you'd like. The IS, GS, LS are not practical at $10K budget. Not the best use of inside space for car seats etc. Too many little things to fix at this age and price for luxury vehicles.

The Subarus unfortunately have head gasket issues in the 2000s, very pricey and so not a good used car purchase. Too bad, because that's one of the best awd systems out there, even for those years.
Old 01-05-19, 06:20 PM
tjduval
Driver School Candidate

Thank you, everyone, for the advice. I'd love a used Highlander or Outback; however, they seem to be priced similarly to RX's of comparable age and mileage. I'm thinking my best bet is to keep driving inexpensive American cars until I can save up another $15,000 or so for a certified pre-owned RX.