Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Ford Escape

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-19, 07:44 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

It's very generic looking. Like in a cartoon. It's completely inoffensive. Without emblems there isn't anything that shouts "Ford!" to me.
Old 04-03-19, 07:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Not sure why it sells though. It's inferior to everything in class yet is in the same pricing ballpark. This new one does nothing to advance it's cause. Feels like Ford is just going through the motions with this vehicle and yet it's one of the most important segments.
Agreed that it is not the industry standard for build-quality...but there are lots worse.

IMO, I think they are popular (and I have shopped with several people for them) because, years ago, they first appealed to the enormous number of people who bought Explorers and then decided they didn't need an SUV quite that large. They liked the way the Ford dealership treated them, the service they got, or, for whatever reason, decided they wanted to stick with Ford, and naturally gravitated to the Explorer's little brother. However, conversely, we don't see many Escape customers gravitating downward to the even smaller EcoSport, perhaps (?) because of the EcoSport's limitations in room, ride-comfort, and refinement....which are significant.
Old 04-03-19, 08:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,438 Likes on 1,598 Posts

interior looks decent to me. especially the full led gauge cluster.

Old 04-03-19, 08:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

not sure if i like it more or less than the 'fake rugged' rav4 look:

Old 04-03-19, 01:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

My gosh.. Looks like a Hyundai inside. Talk about copycat.
Old 04-05-19, 02:12 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Looks better than the current generation. Good tech. And all this ‘copycat nonsense’, a cuv that looks like a cuv?! Say it ain’t so
Old 04-06-19, 04:37 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Is it any wonder that I make the commentary that I do, regarding product planning and development?

Ignorant copycat accusations, fallacies, and general poor understanding of "what it takes".

The 2020 Escape/Kuga CX482 program couldn't have been influenced by a 2018 MY Hyundai, based on when its C519 FOCUS-BASED interior was finalized.

The C519 Focus final designs were set in 2015, so where was this copied interior on Hyundai products in 2015? Not public, being developed in private. Neither copied the other...

...But don't let me get in the way of uninformed opinions.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 04-06-19 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-06-19, 04:49 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmaker1
Is it any wonder that I make the commentary that I do, regarding product planning and development?

Ignorant copycat accusations, fallacies, and general poor understanding of "what it takes".

The 2020 Escape/Kuga CX482 program couldn't have been influenced by a 2018 MY Hyundai, based on when it's C519 FOCUS-BASED interior was finalized.

The C519 Focus final designs were set in 2015, so where was this copied interior on Hyundai products in 2015? Not public, being developed in private. Neither copied the other...

People are always making such claims forgetting it takes years from the drawing board to production. It's impossible to have copied something that came out even a year ago unless there was a spy in the design studio of the competitor.
Old 04-06-19, 05:31 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

People are always making such claims forgetting it takes years from the drawing board to production. It's impossible to have copied something that came out even a year ago unless there was a spy in the design studio of the competitor.
Bingo, it is impossible. Only a 2-3 year or longer gap allows for such a thing.

As for the Escape, I remember being told about 2 years ago when it was just a painted clay model by a contact in Dearborn, that it was intended to go downmarket a smidgen, specifically entirely avoid upmarket, to allow for better separation of the CX483 Lincoln (now Corsair) and the Ford brand product.

A non-Focus (C519) dash was considered for the Escape in 2016-17, but rejected. This is also the first Ford design signed off under Jim Hackett. New 2020 Explorer and Aviator were under Mark Fields.

The bad thing about the Escape interior, is the dashboard was designed over a period 3.5-6 years ago for the 2019 Focus and barely launches stateside in November 2019 on a 2020 model.

Really bad product planning, as it feels DOA as I worried. The Bronco range at least is getting the right attention, as a good alternative and looks very good!

Last edited by Carmaker1; 04-06-19 at 05:45 PM.
Old 04-06-19, 05:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Bingo, it is impossible.
Not only that, but so many different automotive designs have been done over the years that no matter what you do, you are almost guaranteed to have copied somebody, sometime. Style-wise, there's almost no such thing as truly original any more.
Old 04-06-19, 05:53 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not only that, but so many different automotive designs have been done over the years that no matter what you do, you are almost guaranteed to have copied somebody, sometime. Style-wise, there's almost no such thing as truly original any more.
True indeed, but I can wager that both were inspired by a vehicle in the marketplace back in 2014-15, which would likely be Mazda via BMW.

I can see it, with the MY2016 Mazda6 and 2014 Mazda3. BMW has too many pre-2016 examples, that both Hyundai and Ford eyed for sure during the mid-2010s while developing their own vehicles.

Everyone seems to be doing that look as we both know, but Hyundai surely doesn't get credit with this one and everyone knows I have no favourites of course. I just call it like I see it.
Old 04-08-19, 09:25 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

The automakers do seem to draw inspiration from each other.

Look at the interior of the 2014+ Toyota Tundra.

Now look at the interior of the 2011-2014 F-150.
Old 04-08-19, 10:11 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

ok we get you may have insider info or maybe even be the 'smartest guy in the room' but please knock off the insults and maybe just focus on being helpful (and nicer). thank you.
Old 04-08-19, 01:21 PM
jer
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

To me it looks like it 'could' have been a Focus wagon, but with Ford dumping cars, this will kind of straddle the line. The new Bronco/Sub-Bronco will be the other choice for those wanting something less car-like.
Old 05-23-19, 06:14 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid to get approximately 39 mpg

When the redesigned 2020 Ford Escape crossover was revealed, Ford was rather coy about fuel economy numbers. And since a hybrid and plug-in hybrid were being added to the lineup, we really wanted to know what the more efficient Escapeswere capable of. An answer finally presented itself at a recent media event in Dearborn.

During a breakdown of the Escape Hybrid's new powertrain, Ford's Manager of Advanced Electrified Powertrain Systems, Daniel Kok, told us that the new Escape Hybrid would get 50% better fuel economy than the current Escape in 1.5-liter EcoBoost form. That 2019 car's combined fuel economy rating is 26 mpg. Doing the math leads us to assume the Escape Hybrid will get about 39 mpg combined. That number is right about on-par with the competition. The 2019 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid is rated at 40 mpg combined, while the Nissan Rogue Hybrid lags behind at 34 mpg combined. If Ford is able to achieve that figure, then it'll be looking pretty good in its class from an efficiency standpoint. However, the RAV4 Hybriddoes make 21 more horsepower than the Escape Hybrid, likely leaving it as the more powerful and efficient vehicle in its class.

The 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid uses a redesigned 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine that runs on the Atkinson cycle as its mechanical motivation. It will be available in both front- and all-wheel drive, with the latter presumably taking a slight fuel economy hit.

The first Escape Hybrid was rated at 29 mpg combined in 2005, so 15 years of hybrid vehicle development has theoretically netted us 10 mpg. When the Escape Hybrid went out of production in 2012, it was all the way up to 32 mpg combined.

Ford previously said the Escape and Escape Hybrid will go on sale later this fall. If you want the plug-in hybrid with an expected 30-mile all-electric range, you'll have to wait until spring 2020.
Source

Quick Reply: 2020 Ford Escape