Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Did you see the 94 Supra trade for $121k

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-19, 05:44 PM
Crypto79
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Did you see the 94 Supra trade for $121k

geese it seems the 90 JDM run is gaining legs. At what point does trickle down or raising tide raise all boats? With the commonality between the cars and the strong fundamentals of the SC come into their own. They trade for nothing, old Honda CRVs have a more loyal following

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...paign=15607362
Old 01-07-19, 01:57 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,243 Likes on 866 Posts

Yep. The Supra MKIV TT's, at least some of them, command a lot now. They only made 12,000 total MKIVs for the USA after all and in stock form the TT's had a very desirable spec *when* they were new until now.

The situation with SC's is a frustrating one. They made far more of them (60k+ for the USA as I recall between 1992-2000) and while they were an expensive car when they were new the values on them dropped like almost every other luxury car from the same time that wasn't the exceptional 911, M3, 850CSI 6-speed or various desirable AMG Mercedes.

The trouble is that the market has bottomed out for SC's but in original factory trim they never had any really desirable cachet for enthusiasts. WE are the ones who sometimes add the desirable hardware and modifications to them but everyone's results vary and not so many people as you'd think both cosmetically restore to perfection AND turbocharge their SC's (excepting the 98-00 SC400's) or manual swap their 92-97 SC400's and add every desirable performance modification possible and so the overall values are not affected.

The desirable SC's are often the ones that are totally original low mileage clean examples but even 1 of 120 1997 SC300 5-speeds and 1998-2000 SC400 VVT-i's with 290hp/300ft-lbs stock don't command big money.

These are cars that were never sensational in terms of their STOCK performance compared to the MKIV Turbos or Mustang Cobra SVTs or Camaro LS1 SS's or Corvettes when they were new. We SC enthusiasts and aftermarket gave them their second wind.

But since there are so many SC's and nearly all of them need heavy modifications in order to live up to their reputation as a cheap platform for making them fast... and since adding all that performance does cost a good deal of money upfront... the overall values remain depressed. At least for now we have decent access to used parts due to the very high volume.

The only recent development that may affect the values is the now legal availability in the USA of RHD Z30 Toyota Soarers with 1JZ-GTE engines and occasionally R154's and LSDs as *stock* factory options. As collector cars, since they're the same chassis but with major stock driveline differences, those will not fall into the same valuation issues that SC300's and SC400's have.

But I am not sure even that or a gradual dwindling supply of USDM 92-00 SC's or even an SC being used as a "hero car" in a visible enough indie or Hollywood movie will do much for the values of these cars. Surely all of those things combined would change the market for them positively but it's never going to be what it is for Supra MKIV TT's.

And it's the fault of 1990's Lexus USA management. If they'd taken a risk on releasing a 1JZ-GTE R154 LSD equipped version then the story might be slightly different.... but overall even that wouldn't have affected the lack of exclusivity for what was intended to be a pricey executive smooth but sporty luxury coupe to beat out all the other manufacturer's competitors.

I wish it were different or at least better than it is right now. I really do.

And if you think $120k for an MKIV Supra TT 6-speed is bonkers wait until the limited production higher performance version (not what will be the more common I-6 Turbo versions but something up from that) of the MKV Supra is released. That's going to command silly money too as a new "ultimate" Supra.
Old 01-07-19, 04:54 AM
Crypto79
Driver

I get it, just like the Mercury cougars were upsec versions of the mustang. Even when comparable to the mustangs they never reached parity.

Kids dreamed of supras, old men bought Lexus and then moved on. Those kids who dreamed are buying them now, the men who might be nostalgic are now dying off.

my point was more that even with a value proposition as JDM goes off one would thing the attributes of
1) interesting engines (v8 and in-line 6)
2)rear drive
3)high watermark of Japanese quality/reliability
4)style
5)coupes tend to draw collectors
6)aftermarket and OEM part support
7)pre-super computer-tazation of cars means easier to keep on the road
8)high attrition due miles and modders

Seems like a decent recipe but so far I couldn’t be more wrong. I just look at my 97 5 speed and wonder what better JDM car I could get for the money and not many come up. Maybe my tastes are too specialized.
Old 01-07-19, 05:01 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

As a MKIV Supra owner I'm somewhat surprised at some of the market prices. A lot of people thought the availability of JDM 25 year old 93/94 Supras would bring down the USDM market values but turns out even those ones are selling for a lot. I remember some kid telling me that once the RHD ones hit they would cost 10K or less for NA Auto but that hasn't been the case.

I have no plans to sell my MKIV Supra it's at the point where it doesn't need anything else major unless I decide to go built motor but I'm around mid 8's at the wheel and happy with that. I do miss my SC and wouldn't mind getting another but I barely drive my personal cars as it is right now due to having company vehicle and work travel.
Old 01-07-19, 05:41 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 431 Likes on 316 Posts

Not surprise at all with that 7k miles stock supra mkiv 6speed fetching $121k . Those with original 6speeds (V160) are fetching ridiculuous prices now.

Five months ago , I sold one of my MKIVs 6 speeds for $100k (I had $30k on it) but it was a hard top , making almost 1krwhp and had 65k miles on the odometer. Exactly the reason I have decided to hold off selling my other 3 MKIVs also with 6 speeds but with better specs than what I sold last. Two of them have stroker motors and one with just 35k miles and a hard top. Looks like they will go for more now with the new supra mkv having inferior specs and the jdm supra mkivs commanding a premium too. Looks to me my MKIVs are my best investments so far with what I have on them. A hobby/addiction that became a good investment after all.

Our SCs , I don't expect them going up in value at this point . Only time will prove me wrong I guess since at this point , there is no huge market for them.
Old 01-07-19, 09:58 AM
Crypto79
Driver

Originally Posted by gerrb
Not surprise at all with that 7k miles stock supra mkiv 6speed fetching $121k . Those with original 6speeds (V160) are fetching ridiculuous prices now.

Five months ago , I sold one of my MKIVs 6 speeds for $100k (I had $30k on it) but it was a hard top , making almost 1krwhp and had 65k miles on the odometer. Exactly the reason I have decided to hold off selling my other 3 MKIVs also with 6 speeds but with better specs than what I sold last. Two of them have stroker motors and one with just 35k miles and a hard top. Looks like they will go for more now with the new supra mkv having inferior specs and the jdm supra mkivs commanding a premium too. Looks to me my MKIVs are my best investments so far with what I have on them. A hobby/addiction that became a good investment after all.

Our SCs , I don't expect them going up in value at this point . Only time will prove me wrong I guess since at this point , there is no huge market for them.
Of course youre right. That said I could care less about the money. What confuses me is the lack of respect which is what drives values so the values are stated just to make the point. With most new nice cars in 65k-80k range and up, Just keeping my XC90 and Panamera running annually costs about what a really nice SC brings even while under their respective warranties.

While we see front-wheel drive 4 cylinder economy cars like Integras & celicas gaining steam along with 240zx, the rear-wheel drive inline six SC300 which far exceed them when new is forgotten. Hell survivor IS300s have started to climb in price even with watered down engines (VVTI) and transmissions (W55). I accept the truths, they just doesn't make sense to me.
Old 01-08-19, 03:56 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Turns out the owner of a Toyota dealership in Chicago bought it. I was guessing it will be a showroom piece along with new MKV when it comes out but turns out it's listed for $500K yes half a million. Dealership more than likely will get a lot of attention with that pricing and maybe the goal is to get people in to look at it and buy something else.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...3872/overview/
Old 01-08-19, 04:39 AM
Crypto79
Driver

Originally Posted by plex
Turns out the owner of a Toyota dealership in Chicago bought it. I was guessing it will be a showroom piece along with new MKV when it comes out but turns out it's listed for $500K yes half a million. Dealership more than likely will get a lot of attention with that pricing and maybe the goal is to get people in to look at it and buy something else.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...3872/overview/

intresting thanks
Old 01-08-19, 06:39 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Crypto79
I get it, just like the Mercury cougars were upsec versions of the mustang. Even when comparable to the mustangs they never reached parity.
They never really had time, as the Cougar was only on the Mustang platform for its first six years. Then two years on the Mercury Montego/Ford Torino platform, followed by two decades as a sister to the Ford Thunderbird.
Old 01-08-19, 08:39 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I think values will continue to shoot up considering how disappointing the new Supra is turning out to be.
Old 01-08-19, 10:15 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Originally Posted by UDel
I think values will continue to shoot up considering how disappointing the new Supra is turning out to be.
Agreed, I'm somewhat optimistic about new Supra but as far as MKIV impact it will definitely drive demand and pricing up.
Old 01-08-19, 12:43 PM
Crypto79
Driver

Originally Posted by gerrb

PM sent, Mind if I pick your brain please

Old 01-08-19, 08:37 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

retarded price, they are in a bubble. Anyways its probably the best time to let go of a MkIV if you have one.
Old 01-09-19, 06:47 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
retarded price, they are in a bubble. Anyways its probably the best time to let go of a MkIV if you have one.
I agree, I don't have any plans to sell mine I'm not one of the investor MKIV owner types. I like it for what it is plus I really think it would be hard to find something I truly like to replace it. I like Vipers and ZR-1's though.