Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hydrogen vehicles discussion

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-21 | 06:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
I think hydrogen ICE cars are the future. There are political and financial forces that are interested in killing petrol/diesel ICEs, and they are using rabid environmentalists to accomplish this. But once they accomplish their mission the rest of us will still have to get around. Any rational person can see that EVs won't be a viable alternative - the charging infrastructure is nearly impossible, and there's just too much environmental impact from all the battery production and disposal, and in the end most of these batteries are still charged with electricity produced by burning fossils. Before anyone mentions, solar and wind are absolute lunacies, so lets not pretend they matter.

However there are countries like the US, Russia and Canada that have an abundance of NG and oil, so they can burn these fossils to produce hydrogen. The infrastructure for hydrogen isn't hard to build, the same tanker trucks that carry petrol can be upgraded to carry hydrogen tanks, and the same fueling stations can be upgraded to provide hydrogen refueling. Plenty of gas stations in Europe already sell NG and propane, they can be easily upgraded to hydrogen. In the end these hydrogen cars will no be any greener, but nobody cars as long as the fake premise is satisfied.
But why is a ICE hydrogen a better solution over fuel cell hydrogen?
Old 07-19-21 | 06:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Of course you're done responding you can't refute what I'm saying.
Stop being so argumentative, and if you don't want to discuss hydrogen ICE development, exit the thread.
Old 07-19-21 | 06:17 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
For one, it eliminates the need for a battery pack, fuel cell, and requires less effort from manufacturers to convert their existing engines, especially for heavy duty trucks. Either way, hydrogen has a lot more potential in the future vs rechargeable EVs.

Last edited by Och; 07-19-21 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-19-21 | 06:20 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Stop being so argumentative, and if you don't want to discuss hydrogen ICE development, exit the thread.
I am discussing topics that are covered in the video you posted. And I'm not the only one.
Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Last edited by LeX2K; 07-19-21 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-19-21 | 08:11 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Mass nuclear adoption would make nearly endless supply of H2 a reality with ease.
Old 07-19-21 | 09:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
Mass nuclear adoption would make nearly endless supply of H2 a reality with ease.
Hydrogen can also be produced from water (the most widespread substance on Earth) by electrolysis and other means, although there has been much discussion on CL about whether that process is efficient enough for mass-production, as it actually requires electricity to produce the hydrogen.

Hydrogen, particularly in gas form, is very explosive and flammable, and the results of those hazards were shown in the early airships/dirigibles that used it instead of the much safer and more inert helium gas.
Old 07-19-21 | 10:49 PM
Blaze876
Instructor

These hydrogen / BEV discussions always comes down to Lex2k stating "obviously" hydrogen is not efficient or environmentally friendly and BEV is the only future that exist. Toyota and hyundai is just wasting tens maybe hundreds of millions researching and developing hydrogen as a fuel when they can save hundreds of millions if they listened to lex2k. Sooner or later these massive corporations with extremely intelligent individuals will realize lex2k was right all along.

Old 07-21-21 | 09:14 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

The future is hydrogen:

https://www.itm-power.com/

Electrolyser systems in a box, plug into fresh water and electricity and you're good to go, hydrogen on demand. Great for filling stations; they can put a few down, hook them up and power them from a solar array or wind power. No storage and no distribution. Completely green
Old 07-21-21 | 09:35 AM
Jwconeil

I can’t power a house by solar in Indiana. Trust me, I wish I could. It’s way too cloudy, and we have tons of trees blocking many of our roofs from the sun anyway. This is a big issue for many Americans.

Please keep the bickering out of CL. There is zero need to be offended by people not agreeing with each other. Let’s prove we are all adults by de-escalating.

The more options we can come up with to solve some of our current problems, the better. I’d love to keep my isf for eternity. If someone is trying to figure out a way to convert it to a more environmentally friendly fuel, I’m supportive. All growth comes with pain, until systems and technology are perfected.
Old 07-21-21 | 12:20 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by LeX2K
I am discussing topics that are covered in the video you posted. And I'm not the only one.
LeX2K, his ask wasn't to stop discussing topics, it was to stop being so argumentative in those threads.
Need to do that going forward - getting close to my asking you to stay out of any thread with this topic in it.
Additionally, you should have used PM to respond to the moderator.

LexsCTJill, the inverse for you in EV threads.

Both of you knock it off, use the ignore list or start discussing the topic maturely, politely and with the understanding that you don't have to agree. The answer is potentially even a mix of answers, and the faster you get to something like that, the much less likely it is you'll get banned from EV/Hydrogen conversations on our community.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 07-21-21 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-23-21 | 09:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DaveGS4

LexsCTJill, the inverse for you in EV threads.

Both of you knock it off, use the ignore list or start discussing the topic maturely, politely and with the understanding that you don't have to agree. The answer is potentially even a mix of answers, and the faster you get to something like that, the much less likely it is you'll get banned from EV/Hydrogen conversations on our community.
Just saw this. I accept responsibility.
Old 07-23-21 | 09:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Here is good video explaining why both battery as well as hydrogen have their place. It’s long but very good. The company in discussion has diesel as well as some battery EV stuff. But behind the scenes, they have some hydrogen internal combustion engines for the future.

Old 08-01-21 | 06:16 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Default Toyota in on geothermal generated hydrogen project

Pretty interesting:
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20210801_07/
Old 08-01-21 | 07:27 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Yes I agree Hydrogen is the future. Toyota is on the right direction. Battery cars are only the transition from gasoline to hydrogen. All those companies putting all their eggs in one basket will rue the day.
Old 08-01-21 | 08:09 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Hard to say what the future is. Just glad someone is at least trying something other than straight up batteries.

Quick Reply: Hydrogen vehicles discussion