Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hydrogen vehicles discussion

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-21, 12:05 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Keep badmouthing fossils what you want, but they are not going anywhere. We'll continue burning fossils to generate electricity for your BEV or extracting hydrogen for hydrogen vehicles, and hydrogen is simply a far more viable option than BEV.
Hmm...try reading what I wrote. I said the most stored potential is in the form of fossil fuels That precious hydrogen you like to spout takes 3x more energy to produce the same level as equivalent fossil fuels.
Old 08-14-21, 12:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
And out comes pure hydrogen. Amazing!

Why are people paying for hydrogen to fill up their Mirai when they an simply put in tap water.

No offense, but did you bother to finish reading my post? Apparantly not.

In fairness, maybe I was still typing it when you read the first part.
Old 08-14-21, 12:08 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Hmm...try reading what I wrote. I said the most stored potential is in the form of fossil fuels That precious hydrogen you like to spout takes 3x more energy to produce the same level as equivalent fossil fuels.
Sounds just like producing electricity then.
Old 08-14-21, 12:12 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,929 Likes on 2,467 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No offense, but did you bother to finish reading my post? Apparantly not.
As I said earlier, though, the most significant barrier, right now, will be to find a way to efficiently extract the hydrogen from the water. We did it, of course, in school-chemistry lab, but that was obviously not in the mass amounts needed for automotive use.
No you did not. You used far more energy than you would ever get out of the hydrogen you extracted. Try to comprehend this. Hydrogen is NOT energy it is energy storage. This is because the most abundant element is not readily available naturally on planet Earth. In our atmosphere hydrogen accounts for 1 part per million.

Old 08-14-21, 12:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

No you did not. You used far more energy than you would ever get out of the hydrogen you extracted. Try to comprehend this. Hydrogen is NOT energy it is energy storage. This is because the most abundant element is not readily available naturally on planet Earth. In our atmosphere hydrogen accounts for 1 part per million.

No, you misunderstood my post. I actually agree with you on that. School-lab electrolysis of water is obviously not efficient enough for mass-market use. That's why I said that more efficient methods are needed.....but we aren't going to find them if we don't start doing research.

BTW, just for the record, hydrogen fuel-cells themselves were a NASA-derived technology, first used back in the late 1960s, on our Apollo shots to the moon and back....so that shows you how much potential there is if we put our minds to it.
Old 08-14-21, 12:29 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Sounds just like producing electricity then.
If you produce energy from the most inefficient source, sure. But luckily we have other things like nuclear, solar, wind and natural gas as sources of our grid. So you're saying we should burn coal in sunny California when we have plentiful solar energy. Pffft. Laughable.
Old 08-14-21, 12:37 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
If you produce energy from the most inefficient source, sure. But luckily we have other things like nuclear, solar, wind and natural gas as sources of our grid. So you're saying we should burn coal in sunny California when we have plentiful solar energy. Pffft. Laughable.
When did I say that? But by the same logic, whatever source used to produce electricity can be used to produce hydrogen.
Old 08-14-21, 12:38 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Hydrogen vehicles discussion-jrvfemg.png
The 2nd option makes no sense to me, in packaging alone a FCEV is horrible.
Originally Posted by Och
When did I say that? But by the same logic, whatever source used to produce electricity can be used to produce hydrogen.
By adding 7 more steps you get 1/3rd total efficiency. If that's what you are after then yea it's the way to go.
Old 08-14-21, 12:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,438 Likes on 1,598 Posts

How can you possibly put that aside? The only reason to move away from diesel fuel is the fact it happens to be horribly polluting. Otherwise it does the job has high energy density and is convenient and fast to refuel. Why would you want to move to another fossil fuel in hydrogen, which it currently is.
I was saying put it aside because there are non-polluting ways to get hydrogen as you know, by using excess 'renewable' energy for electrolysis. A hydro-electric dam even could produce hydrogen with excess energy being produced, and as you point out, use hydrogen as an energy storage system.

so the reason i said put it aside is if it's a non-issue like in the examples above, then do you not believe it's a good fuel for trucks and buses (maybe even trains) where they can do point to point long haul and have a less ubiquitous refueling infrastructure than persona vehicles requires?

The 2nd option makes no sense to me, in packaging alone a FCEV is horrible.
And you keep fixating on passenger cars which isn't the only use here... again, what about trucks, buses, trains, plains, etc?
Old 08-14-21, 01:01 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I was saying put it aside because there are non-polluting ways to get hydrogen as you know, by using excess 'renewable' energy for electrolysis. A hydro-electric dam even could produce hydrogen with excess energy being produced, and as you point out, use hydrogen as an energy storage system.
Yes this is what I've said many times, hydrogen may become viable as energy storage.
so the reason i said put it aside is if it's a non-issue like in the examples above, then do you not believe it's a good fuel for trucks and buses (maybe even trains) where they can do point to point long haul and have a less ubiquitous refueling infrastructure than persona vehicles requires?
If and when we have excess energy then we can start using hydrogen in heavy haul vehicles. Using natural gas to make hydrogen is simply another way for oil companies to sell fossil based energy, it changes nothing and solves nothing.
And you keep fixating on passenger cars which isn't the only use here... again, what about trucks, buses, trains, plains, etc?
Don't know what else I can add to this, I'm fine with these types of transport to use hydrogen if and when we have excess energy and need to store it. I am not fine using hydrocarbon fuels to make hydrogen this is asinine.

Prius has an EPA rating of 56 Mirai 66. Is it really worth it to build out an entirely new refining, transport and fueling infrastructure for that gain? Building it will take 100's of billions of dollars, you gonna pay for that?
Old 08-14-21, 01:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

If and when we have excess energy then we can start using hydrogen in heavy haul vehicles. Using natural gas to make hydrogen is simply another way for oil companies to sell fossil based energy, it changes nothing and solves nothing.
i disagree and you're wrong about it solving nothing, i think your black and white view is too simplistic. the DoE has its scored about right (rare for govt, lol). Hydrogen Production: Natural Gas Reforming | Department of Energy
Specifically:

Why Is This Pathway Being Considered?
Reforming low-cost natural gas can provide hydrogen today for fuel cell electric vehicles (FCEVs) as well as other applications. Over the long term, DOE expects that hydrogen production from natural gas will be augmented with production from renewable, nuclear, coal (with carbon capture and storage), and other low-carbon, domestic energy resources.

Petroleum use and emissions are lower than for gasoline-powered internal combustion engine vehicles. The only product from an FCEV tailpipe is water vapor but even with the upstream process of producing hydrogen from natural gas as well as delivering and storing it for use in FCEVs, the total greenhouse gas emissions are cut in half and petroleum is reduced over 90% compared to today's gasoline vehicles.
Prius has an EPA rating of 56 Mirai 66. Is it really worth it to build out an entirely new refining, transport and fueling infrastructure for that gain? Building it will take 100's of billions of dollars, you gonna pay for that?
again you're looking at tiny cars (irrelevant). the trucking industry alone is VAST and can pay for it, AND there will be a payback. if the world is to become less polluting, everyone will pay though in many ways one way or another.
Old 08-14-21, 02:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

also, there's promising ways to capture CO2 from nat gas to hydrogen production like this:
Carbon dioxide sequestration through silicate degradation and carbon mineralisation: promises and uncertainties | npj Materials Degradation (nature.com)
Old 08-14-21, 02:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

also, there's promising ways to capture CO2 from nat gas to hydrogen production like this:

Natural gas itself is a very clean-burning substance, especially by fossil-fuel standards.....and a network of refill-stations could probably be done, without much trouble, by the gas-utility companies...the same companies that pipe in gas for household appliances and furnace/AC systems. if nothing else, it would increase their business and profits....although, in some cases, as utilities, they are regulated by the State Corporation Commissions.

I'm not sure if it would be the best thing for me, though. I live in an all-electric home, am not used to being around gas, and the few times I am, I tend to be nervous and subconsciously worried about an explosion.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-14-21 at 02:40 PM.
Old 08-14-21, 03:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Natural gas itself is a very clean-burning substance, especially by fossil-fuel standards.....and a network of refill-stations could probably be done, without much trouble, by the gas-utility companies...the same companies that pipe in gas for household appliances and furnace/AC systems. if nothing else, it would increase their business and profits....although, in some cases, as utilities, they are regulated by the State Corporation Commissions.

I'm not sure if it would be the best thing for me, though. I live in an all-electric home, am not used to being around gas, and the few times I am, I tend to be nervous and subconsciously worried about an explosion.
respectfully, my mention of natural gas had NOTHING to do with cars being propelled by the stuff and certainly not the explosive idea of people filling their vehicles with natural gas at their homes.

Natural gas can be used to create hydrogen, but the by product is CO2 which is widely considered as bad for the atmosphere/climate. But if the CO2 can be captured, then using the absolutely VAST known reserves of natural gas many places have to create hydrogen would be compelling.
Old 08-14-21, 04:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

respectfully, my mention of natural gas had NOTHING to do with cars being propelled by the stuff and certainly not the explosive idea of people filling their vehicles with natural gas at their homes.
A number of vehicles (including city buses) are indeed propelled by natural gas. But you're correct that it is not in widespread use.

I was not implying filling up with CNG at home, but at the nearest gas-company location, as some of their own vehicles do. Aside from me, Jill, Och, and maybe one or two others, there seems to be so much hostility in this thread to hydrogen use for vehicles that perhaps we should also consider some closely-related alternatives such as this.

Quick Reply: Hydrogen vehicles discussion