Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hydrogen vehicles discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-21, 08:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

One also has to take safety into account when significant amounts of hydrogen are produced....its explosiveness and flammability are legendary. One only needs to look at the tragedies that befell a number of hydrogen-filled airships produced in countries that couldn't get the safer and more stable helium gas.

Old 02-12-21, 09:03 PM
winterturb
Lead Lap

Received 169 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
One also has to take safety into account when significant amounts of hydrogen are produced....its explosiveness and flammability are legendary. One only needs to look at the tragedies that befell a number of hydrogen-filled airships produced in countries that couldn't get the safer and more stable helium gas.

Marshall I too thought that was huge issue and in fact was good friends with a NASA engineer (who was tragically killed in a motorcycle accident) who was working on developing a new cellular structure to build fuel cells to safely handle/store hydrogen in vehicles. I have since come to learn it’s not nearly as big an issue once thought. they have now discovered small amount of hydrogen gas in a high pressure tank when punctured the hydrogen escapes and dissipates so quickly it doesn’t ignite and In fact can’t ignite The balloons were low pressure large volumes intended to be lighter than air to cause lift not high pressure propulsion.

pardon my lack of punctuation and grammar I was too busy studying either anatomy or Spanish during English class. We had a new Beautiful girl from Spain show up in our grade the year I studied English.
Old 04-22-21, 07:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Toyota Developing Hydrogen Engine Technologies Through Motorsports

Toyota Developing Hydrogen Engine Technologies Through Motorsports

Fuel cell electrified vehicles (FCEVs) such as Toyota's Mirai use a fuel cell in which hydrogen chemically reacts with oxygen in the air to produce electricity that powers an electric motor. Meanwhile, hydrogen engines generate power through the combustion of hydrogen using fuel supply and injection systems that have been modified from those used with gasoline engines. Except for the combustion of minute amounts of engine oil during driving, which is also the case with gasoline engines, hydrogen engines emit zero CO2 when in use.

Combustion in hydrogen engines occurs at a faster rate than in gasoline engines, resulting in a characteristic of good responsiveness. While having excellent environmental performance, hydrogen engines also have the potential to relay the fun of driving, including through sounds and vibrations.

Toyota has long engaged in the innovation of engine technology. Also, it is applying in production vehicles the technologies that it has continued to refine through its participation in motorsports, with the GR Yaris launched last September being one example. And when it comes to safety, Toyota intends to apply the technologies and know-how that it has accumulated through the development of fuel cell vehicles and the commercialization of the Mirai.

Plans are for the hydrogen-engine-powered race vehicle announced today to be fueled during races using hydrogen produced* at the Fukushima Hydrogen Energy Research Field in Namie Town, Fukushima Prefecture. While aiming to expand hydrogen infrastructure by promoting hydrogen use, Toyota intends to continue advancing efforts for economic recovery and revitalization of the Tohoku region together with all parties concerned.

Toward achieving carbon neutrality, Toyota has been strengthening its efforts, such as by aiming to promote the use of hydrogen through the popularization of FCEVs and numerous other fuel-cell-powered products. By further refining its hydrogen-engine technologies through motorsports, Toyota intends to aim for the realization of an even better hydrogen-based society.
Toyota Media Japan

I never knew that something like this was even possible.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-22-21 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-22-21, 08:33 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

One word

embrittlement

Old 05-12-21, 07:51 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default BMW X5 hydrogen fuel cell vehicle is coming for 2022

Automaker has been working with Toyota

LONDON — German carmaker BMW plans to unveil a limited series hydrogen fuel cell model SUV in 2022 as the company continues to research zero-emission alternatives to battery-electric cars, the company's top executive said on Wednesday.

Speaking at the carmaker's annual shareholder meeting, Chief Executive Officer Oliver Zipse said the company plans a small production run of a hydrogen fuel-cell powered x5 SUV next year.
Most of the auto industry is focusing its efforts on developing battery-electric cars to meet tightening emission standards in Europe and China.But BMW is one of a small number of carmakers that currently sees possibilities for the mass adoption of hydrogen fuel cells, which emit only water, and has said it is keeping its options open for the future.

As well as offering the prospect of harmless emissions, hydrogen fuel cells also provide greater range than battery-electric cars, but there is very little fueling infrastructure currently in place to support mass adoption of the technology.

Last December, Japanese carmaker Toyota unveiled its revamped Mirai hydrogen fuel cell car, in a fresh push to promote the zero-emission technology amid rapidly growing demand for electric vehicles.

BMW has forged an alliance with Toyota centered on developing fuel cells.

Japan's Honda Motor Co and South Korea's Hyundai Motor have developed fuel cell models.

Earlier this year, Jaguar Land Rover said it was investing in developing hydrogen fuel cells in anticipation of a future shift to hydrogen to power vehicles.

JLR, owned by India's Tata Motors, will have prototypes using hydrogen fuel cells on Britain's roads within the next year, it said, as part of a long-range investment plan.
Source
Old 07-19-21, 11:45 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,556 Posts
Default hydrogen internal combustion engines

was not aware that this was being developed until recently. seems to be a great zero emission solution especially for large heavy machinery where batteries are simply impractical.

and TOYOTA is working on this too, for cars, but as this lengthy video explains, it's currently hugely impractical (compared to hydrogen fuel cell vehicle).

Old 07-19-21, 11:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

^^^ I agree it's an interesting idea, but a hydrogen ICE power plant is going to face more or less the same problem as a fuel-cell.......an adequate network of refill-stations.

That said, I still basically agree with Jill that hydrogen (and hydrogen-refill stations), for many people, is preferable to BEV recharging, which simply is not possible or practical in many homes, apartments, and condos.
Old 07-19-21, 11:56 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
was not aware that this was being developed until recently. seems to be a great zero emission solution especially for large heavy machinery where batteries are simply impractical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1-__SYskjc

and TOYOTA is working on this too, for cars, but as this lengthy video explains, it's currently hugely impractical (compared to hydrogen fuel cell vehicle).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IPR50-soNA
And so is Hyundai.
Old 07-19-21, 12:37 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Uh, this has been discussed here many times. IMHO, this is a far better solution than battery powered EVs, and the fueling infrastructure is far easier to build. Japan, Russia and Germany are investing heavily in hydrogen infrastructure.
Old 07-19-21, 01:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Uh, this has been discussed here many times. IMHO, this is a far better solution than battery powered EVs, and the fueling infrastructure is far easier to build. Japan, Russia and Germany are investing heavily in hydrogen infrastructure.
i thought discussions were on hydrogen FCEVs not hydrogen ice.
Old 07-19-21, 01:58 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

i thought discussions were on hydrogen FCEVs not hydrogen ice.
Doesn't really matter since the same problems remains, producing hydrogen in bulk. If producing hydrogen from natural gas (95%+ is) means zero emissions I'd love to hear that explanation.
Old 07-19-21, 02:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Doesn't really matter since the same problems remains, producing hydrogen in bulk. If producing hydrogen from natural gas (95%+ is) means zero emissions I'd love to hear that explanation.
my post (thread starter) was about the fact that there's hydrogen ice development, which i was not aware of at all, not about hydrogen infrastructure or emissions.
Old 07-19-21, 02:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

my post (thread starter) was about the fact that there's hydrogen ice development, which i was not aware of at all, not about hydrogen infrastructure or emissions.
It makes sense for super cheap cars...no batteries, no weight issues, no battery disposal. Toyota I think has already shown they can convert and existing ICE engine to run on hydrogen....like it has been said so many times, batteries alone cannot solve the issues if you want to meet Paris Climate Accord goals. Only issue is that the ICE hydrogen is no 100% zero emissions...there is a small amount of oil needed.
Old 07-19-21, 02:38 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Super cheap cars? The Mirai is the most heavily subsidized car on the road and still not cheap. And even with all the rebates and free hydrogen sales are terrible.
Old 07-19-21, 02:43 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Super cheap cars? The Mirai is the most heavily subsidized car on the road and still not cheap. And even with all the rebates and free hydrogen sales are terrible.
My post was to Bit. A Mirai is not a ICE hydrogen car

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-19-21 at 02:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Hydrogen vehicles discussion