Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hydrogen vehicles discussion

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-21, 04:08 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
My post was to Bit. A Mirai is not a ICE hydrogen car
Which is even worse, far most moving parts.
Old 07-19-21, 04:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Which is even worse, far most moving parts.
I just don’t get how you want to bash anything hydrogen. I get you love your Tesla 3 but some just see a path to zero emissions that doesn’t just use batteries
Old 07-19-21, 04:37 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

I just don’t get how you want to bash anything hydrogen. I get you love your Tesla 3 but some just see a path to zero emissions that doesn’t just use batteries
I'd like to know why you keep saying hydrogen is the future (so many times I've lost count) when there are so many reasons it is a terrible way to go. Maybe in 10 years when there is more power than we know what to do with we can use hydrogen to store energy in fact I can see that happening.

I don't bash hydrogen I point out facts, simple. H cars are slow, heavy, expensive, no where to fuel. Replacing petrol with hydrogen nets absolutely nothing you're burning natural gas indirectly instead of gasoline. Why do this? It's another polluting fossil fuel. You are fixated on the theoretical that hydrogen is clean, yes it is if you have it in abundance. We don't, it barely exists naturally. It takes massive energy to produce, compress, transport, compress again, compress again into your car. This is about the most asinine, energy wasting process possible. As I keep saying, at some point hydrogen as energy storage may make sense IF we have an abundance of electricity.

We keep hearing how the grid is going to collapse because of battery electric vehicles then at the same time we are supposed to make clean hydrogen using electricity? It is FAR more efficient to charge a battery directly. Now since you think hydrogen is the end all be all why are there no hydrogen powered hand tools, lawnmowers, mobile devices.

As for Tesla and BEVs in general vs. hydrogen cars look at sales and industry trends. You have to be willfully ignoring reality to think hydrogen is the future.
Old 07-19-21, 04:42 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I'd like to know why you keep saying hydrogen is the future (so many times I've lost count) when there are so many reasons it is a terrible way to go. Maybe in 10 years when there is more power than we know what to do with we can use hydrogen to store energy in fact I can see that happening.

Because common sense would tell you that it would be impossible to covert every single future possible vehicle in the world to batteries.
Old 07-19-21, 04:48 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Because common sense would tell you that it would be impossible to covert every single possible vehicle in the world to batteries.
Common sense?
Name:  QfhDpq6.png
Views: 3
Size:  577.9 KB
Old 07-19-21, 04:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Common sense?
Think…there are 70 million vehicles sold every single year…It’s impossible to convert them all to batteries. The electric car diagram that you just showed is a fairytale..only a few can do that. . You keep thinking, that I have said that there is no room for electric vehicles with the battery, that is not what I have said.
Old 07-19-21, 04:52 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Think…there are 70 million vehicles sold every single year…It’s impossible to convert them all to batteries. The electric car diagram that you just showed is a fairytale. You keep thinking, but I think there is no room for electric vehicles with the battery, that is not what I have said
Think, yes please do. Try. The car on the right requires more energy than the car on the left. They both get clean energy from the same sources.
Old 07-19-21, 04:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Think, yes please do. Try. The car on the right requires more energy than the car on the left.
OK I’m done responding to you. Have a good night please do not respond to me again. I wanted to talk hydrogen ICE with Bit and you ruined it.
Old 07-19-21, 04:55 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Of course you're done responding you can't refute what I'm saying.
Old 07-19-21, 04:57 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Of course you're done responding you can't refute what I'm saying.
OK perfect, 70 million every cars are going to be powered by solar panels. You are right. Ocean freighters are going to be powered by solar panels and batteries. You are so right. Every apartment dweller or condo owner is going to have a solar panel on the balcony that is going to power their car in the basement even buildings that are like 60 70 years old. You are so right

Originally Posted by mmarshall

That said, I still basically agree with Jill that hydrogen (and hydrogen-refill stations), for many people, is preferable to BEV recharging, which simply is not possible or practical in many homes, apartments, and condos.
Glad you see it. It would also be very good for the economy.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-19-21 at 05:01 PM.
Old 07-19-21, 05:45 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

From the video

citing a study, "turning usable electricity into hydrogen is unlikely to make sense from a global energy or greenhouse gas point of view"

Hydrogen combustion vehicle 25% efficiency @ wheels
FCEV 50% efficiency @ wheels

Hydrogen combustion engine makes even less sense than a fuel cell.
Old 07-19-21, 05:51 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i thought discussions were on hydrogen FCEVs not hydrogen ice.
Someone posted a car with hydrogen ICE in the previous hydrogen thread. It's been a thing for a while, and IMHO a much better solution than FCEV.
Old 07-19-21, 05:53 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

LOL, gotta love all the butthurt and hypocrisy coming out of Tesla fans when hydrogen is mentioned.
Old 07-19-21, 05:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Someone posted a car with hydrogen ICE in the previous hydrogen thread. It's been a thing for a while, and IMHO a much better solution than FCEV.
‘Why is it a better solution?
Old 07-19-21, 06:08 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

I think hydrogen ICE cars are the future. There are political and financial forces that are interested in killing petrol/diesel ICEs, and they are using rabid environmentalists to accomplish this. But once they accomplish their mission the rest of us will still have to get around. Any rational person can see that EVs won't be a viable alternative - the charging infrastructure is nearly impossible, and there's just too much environmental impact from all the battery production and disposal, and in the end most of these batteries are still charged with electricity produced by burning fossils. Before anyone mentions, solar and wind are absolute lunacies, so lets not pretend they matter.

However there are countries like the US, Russia and Canada that have an abundance of NG and oil, so they can burn these fossils to produce hydrogen. The infrastructure for hydrogen isn't hard to build, the same tanker trucks that carry petrol can be upgraded to carry hydrogen tanks, and the same fueling stations can be upgraded to provide hydrogen refueling. Plenty of gas stations in Europe already sell NG and propane, they can be easily upgraded to hydrogen. In the end these hydrogen cars will no be any greener, but nobody cares as long as the fake premise is satisfied.

Last edited by Och; 07-19-21 at 06:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Hydrogen vehicles discussion