Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Sad day for VW Beetle :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-03, 01:59 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hitler came up with the IDEA but Ferdinan Porsche developed the Beetle..... THERE IS A DIFFERENCE!!!
Old 08-01-03, 02:04 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

close enough in my book..........
Old 08-01-03, 03:38 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts

the reason why this car was so sucessful is because it was one of Porsche's very first designs. It was based off of the 356A and it within itself was a legend.

I don't see what the big deal is. Who cares if that pile of crap goes out of production?
You can run downhill in a vega and hit over 100, it's the nostaliga that you cannot buy, reproduce, or forget. If you don't think it revolutionized the world, ask the members of the German army how much they helped out. Without Porsche, The beetle would not have touched so many people's lives. If nostalgia means nothing to you, then you need not harbor memories at all.
Old 08-01-03, 05:06 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by onelasttry
the reason why this car was so sucessful is because it was one of Porsche's very first designs. It was based off of the 356A and it within itself was a legend.

You can run downhill in a vega and hit over 100, it's the nostaliga that you cannot buy, reproduce, or forget. If you don't think it revolutionized the world, ask the members of the German army how much they helped out. Without Porsche, The beetle would not have touched so many people's lives. If nostalgia means nothing to you, then you need not harbor memories at all.
Very well said!
Old 08-01-03, 05:09 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by ebruceii
close enough in my book..........

That comment alone has me thinking of all kinds of responses but I'll just keep most all of them to myself except this one:

"that is like saying that all of europe is at fault for the 9/11 bombings because they are 'close enough' to the middle east!!!!
Old 08-02-03, 01:43 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down Pretty sad. . .

Originally posted by onelasttry

Originally posted by ceboyd
Very well said!
Whoa. How old are you guys? I'm 18, young enough not to care about the Beetle or about how many lives it touched. To me, it will always be a crappy car that automatically makes me think of ultra-liberals and hippies (not a good thing).

"If nostalgia means nothing to you, then you need not harbor memories at all." Please. Save me the new-age BS. That's right. I don't care about the Beetle, I don't care about muscle cars, etc.

I'm interested in the high-tech cars of today, showcasing current technology and the talent behind them. Not some ugly tin jelly bean from 500 years ago.

Pretty sad that people are wasting their time defending the Beetle. But to each his own, I guess.
Old 08-02-03, 02:30 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Pretty sad. . .

Originally posted by wantAnewLex

Pretty sad that people are wasting their time defending the Beetle. But to each his own, I guess.
The opposite could also be said....but I agree with you on the last point, to each his own.
Old 08-02-03, 03:35 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Lightbulb Re: Re: Pretty sad. . .

Originally posted by Richie
The opposite could also be said....but I agree with you on the last point, to each his own.
Maybe it would be more appropriate for me to say that it's sad that people are wasting their time mourning the loss of the Beetle. . .
Old 08-02-03, 03:54 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Re: Pretty sad. . .

Originally posted by wantAnewLex
Maybe it would be more appropriate for me to say that it's sad that people are wasting their time mourning the loss of the Beetle. . .
LOL, that wasn't what I meant.
Old 08-03-03, 04:13 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by ceboyd
That comment alone has me thinking of all kinds of responses but I'll just keep most all of them to myself except this one:

"that is like saying that all of europe is at fault for the 9/11 bombings because they are 'close enough' to the middle east!!!!
I get the feeling that I'm being taken a little too seriously here..... It's just the fact that this vehicle was born of a concept of a "people's car" dreamed up by the Fuhrer, that's all. It's obvious that Ferdinand designed/built the thing. Believe it or not, I actually know a couple of Jewish families that refuse to buy VW/Porsche/Audi vehicles for this very reason. A bit of overkill to me, but hey
Old 08-03-03, 06:14 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Pretty sad. . .

Originally posted by Richie
LOL, that wasn't what I meant.
I know what you meant.
Old 08-04-03, 09:00 AM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by ebruceii
I get the feeling that I'm being taken a little too seriously here..... It's just the fact that this vehicle was born of a concept of a "people's car" dreamed up by the Fuhrer, that's all. It's obvious that Ferdinand designed/built the thing. Believe it or not, I actually know a couple of Jewish families that refuse to buy VW/Porsche/Audi vehicles for this very reason. A bit of overkill to me, but hey

To me, that is like the folks who refuse to buy a Ford product because of all the needless deaths form the Pinto (for those that don't know, Ford exec's KNEW that people would die but calculated it would be cheaper to pay out the lawsuits they'd receive instead of doing a recall - big thing covered in just about any Ethics class)

The bottom line is that so many companies participated in something unethical during war times and so many other companies do unethical things but they are still in business.... ...it is just the way of the world.

Most of the folks in charge of VW/Audi/Porsche today had nothing to do with WWII anyway....

Then again, I'm not Jewish so it doesn't affect me emotionaly or personally (WWII and Hitler that is)
Old 08-05-03, 11:51 AM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

I just saw your posts. I happen to live in Mexico City and was fortunate enough to be invited by a VW friend to view the last VW Bug made at their plant. It has been on display at the factory for a few days. They are selling versions of this last Bug complete white whitehalls and chrome for $8,000, about $2,000 over the normal price. Several of my European friends have bought these with my help and are arranging to ship them to Europe. You see, VW Bugs have not been sold anywhere but Mexico since 1998.
Old 08-05-03, 01:31 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Lexmexico
I just saw your posts. I happen to live in Mexico City and was fortunate enough to be invited by a VW friend to view the last VW Bug made at their plant. It has been on display at the factory for a few days. They are selling versions of this last Bug complete white whitehalls and chrome for $8,000, about $2,000 over the normal price. Several of my European friends have bought these with my help and are arranging to ship them to Europe. You see, VW Bugs have not been sold anywhere but Mexico since 1998.
Some company over here tried selling the mexico beetles over here a few years back. With all the import duties and tax the price was more than 20k.
Old 08-05-03, 06:22 PM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

Very true.

Had several American friends who would come across the border to 'upgrade' their 60s/70s Bugs. I have an American friend who bought one of the final versions I was talking about. He changed all the VIN numbers on the car to match his old Bug, which he sold for scrap here, and then took it back across the border.

As much as I respect the Bug, the manufacturing at their Puebla Mexico plant is the pits. Nobody everyone wants a German-made Passat here.

Quick Reply: Sad day for VW Beetle :(