Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Sad day for VW Beetle :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-03, 07:16 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Lexmexico
Very true.

Had several American friends who would come across the border to 'upgrade' their 60s/70s Bugs. I have an American friend who bought one of the final versions I was talking about. He changed all the VIN numbers on the car to match his old Bug, which he sold for scrap here, and then took it back across the border.

Why would he do that?
Old 08-06-03, 06:41 AM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah, you would not know so let me explain.

To import a car to the United States it has to be certified that it would meet U.S. emissions inspections. Even the most recently built Bugs, based on a 70s German design, would not meet U.S. emissions inspections. Here in Mexico City, emissions inspections are 50% less restrictive than the U.S. (any wonder why we have a pollution problem). However, Mexico City (Distrito Federal) and the surrounding Estado de Mexico will not grant new taxi licenses to new Bugs knowing that they will cause more pollution.

The friends I know tried the legal route to import the cars, and the U.S. Government said nope due to lack of emissions satisfaction. However, you do know there are exclusions in most states with emissions inspections for cars older than a a certain number of year. He switched the vin numbers off of his old Bug and placed them on this new Bug. Then when he drives back over the border, no reason for Customs to even check. I have friends who try to just drive a Bug back across the border, and Customs has always stopped them asking for U.S. registration. The only people who can legally do that are FM3 and FM2 visa holders or Mexican citizens.