Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus human interface issues and climate control discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-19, 05:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,947 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
OK, no problem. I didn't notice that, but I'm not in competition with anybody here....no trying to be. We're all here to help and advise each other. In fact, that's why, years ago, the automakers started modifying the A/C systems to allow heat to be added to the cold air blowing out. When they first started linking the compressor-use to the defog/defrost mode, without the ability to add heat, people were ****ing-up the window glass with outside moisture-condensation. I remember that was a problem in my late Mom's old 1977 Plymouth Volare.....though the very definition of the Volare/Aspen was problems LOL.

What I'd like to see is the ability to vary not only the amount and intensity of air-flow through the vents, but also to be able, in warm humid summer weather, to direct warmed/A/C air through the defrost vents for defogging, and, at the same time, have cool air coming out at face-level, in the dash-vents, for driver/passenger comfort. . I don't know if you have that on your LS460 or not, but no car I've owned yet (including the Lacrosse) allows that. It's all the same temperature, no matter which vents you use.
I was just kidding lol

Honestly, I have no idea. I don’t know that I’ve ever had to defog the windshield in the LS.
Old 02-10-19, 05:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Curious to know, what does GM say on how to use your Lacrosse HVAC?

There are six entire pages of heat / A/C / vent /defrost / defog instructions, including several pages on just how all of the automatic systems work in each mode and how to customize/program the modes and turn automatic systems on or off as desired. IMO, it's ridiculous. I just said screw it, went into the custom-settings, turned off all the auto on/off systems, and, when I need something, simply turn it on and off and adjust it manually. I find it works better, is simpler, more dependable, and, for my purposes, safer, because I know exactly what is going on in the system any given moment. The only auto-setting I still use is the SYNC function which equalizes the temperature coming out of the left/right vents. That, BTW, was where I also noticed the recent failure of the temperature-control regulator, which of course, needed that significant repair...that is apparently a common problem in some GM products, though the one in my Verano was OK, perhaps because it was more of an Opel product than GM.
Old 02-10-19, 05:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I strongly recommend this for effective windshield defogging. If the A/C compressor is operated in the defog cycle without some added heat, the cold air from the compressor will chill down the windshield and cause moisture-condensation on the outside, which the wipers will then have to cle.
In the new Avalon, if the outside temperature is too low, the AC compressor will not work. Even if you try to press the button.
Old 02-10-19, 05:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

There are six entire pages of heat / A/C / vent /defrost / defog instructions, including several pages on just how all of the automatic systems work in each mode and how to customize/program the modes and turn automatic systems on or off as desired. IMO, it's ridiculous. I just said screw it, went into the custom-settings, turned off all the auto on/off systems, and, when I need something, simply turn it on and off and adjust it manually. I find it works better, is simpler, more dependable, and, for my purposes, safer, because I know exactly what is going on in the system any given moment. The only auto-setting I still use is the SYNC function which equalizes the temperature coming out of the left/right vents. That, BTW, was where I also noticed the recent failure of the temperature-control regulator, which of course, needed that significant repair...that is apparently a common problem in some GM products, though the one in my Verano was OK, perhaps because it was more of an Opel product than GM.
Sounds like best method to me. My 4Runner actually has presets for each hvac direction mode. So in manual mode, if I hit floor, fan auto starts at two setting. But if I high bi level, the low fan setting starts. It's kind of interesting if you ask me.
Old 02-10-19, 05:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

In the new Avalon, if the outside temperature is too low, the AC compressor will not work. Even if you try to press the button.
Yes, a number of vehicles are like that. That's to try and keep some functions from icing up, though I'm not enough of an engineer to know all the details. At very cold temps, though, one often does not need the A/C for defogging, as the air can't hold much moisture to start with at low temperature / dew-points , and simply warm air from the vents, without the A/C, sometimes does the trick.
Old 02-10-19, 06:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, a number of vehicles are like that. That's to try and keep some functions from icing up, though I'm not enough of an engineer to know all the details. At very cold temps, though, one often does not need the A/C for defogging, as the air can't hold much moisture to start with at low temperature / dew-points , and simply warm air from the vents, without the A/C, sometimes does the trick.
So I am taking the pleasure of reading your manual for your car, online of course LOL. You have no AC button? It's in the screen right?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-10-19 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-10-19, 06:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

So I taking the pleasure of reading your manual for your car, online of course LOL.

Read it right here if you want....but I'm not going to copy the whole section. Here's the manual. Scroll down to page 152 to get to the climate-control instructions.

https://my.buick.com/content/dam/gmo...ers-manual.pdf

You have no AC button? It's in the screen right?

Correct. It's an icon/symbol. Tap it for MAX / ECO / OFF. ECO, of course, runs it at a more-efficient setting.

Notice, also, one nice thing about the Lacrosse (and most Buicks). Buick integrates the screen into the dash, so there is no goofy-looking, tacked-on pod sticking up out of the dash like in many vehicles.

Don't want to get too far off-topic, though (me included) We were originally talking about Lexus controls, not Buicks.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-10-19 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02-10-19, 06:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

What I'd like to see is the ability to vary not only the amount and intensity of air-flow through the vents, but also to be able, in warm humid summer weather, to direct warmed/A/C air through the defrost vents for defogging, and, at the same time, have cool air coming out at face-level, in the dash-vents, for driver/passenger comfort. . I don't know if you have that on your LS460 or not, but no car I've owned yet (including the Lacrosse) allows that. It's all the same temperature, no matter which vents you use.
So if you use windshield and floor vents, you can split the air temp in my vehicles. Is this what you mean?
Old 02-10-19, 06:16 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Read it right here if you want....but I'm not going to copy the whole section. Here's the manual. Scroll down to page 152 to get to the climate-control instructions.

https://my.buick.com/content/dam/gmo...ers-manual.pdf

Correct. It's an icon/symbol. Tap it for MAX / ECO / OFF. ECO, of course, runs it at a more-efficient setting.

Notice, also, one nice thing about the Lacrosse (and most Buicks). Buick integrates the screen into the dash, so there is no goofy-looking, tacked-on pod sticking up out of the dash like in many vehicles.

So ideally, would you prefer a hard button?
Old 02-10-19, 06:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

So ideally, would you prefer a hard button?

I'd prefer one, but I can (easily) live without it. I'd also prefer hard buttons for the dash/defrost vent-selection, like my Opel-sourced Verano had. But, by today's standards, the Lacrosse pleases me so much with its ride-comfort (I absolutely love driving it) that I'm willing to overlook some faults or preferences.
Old 02-10-19, 08:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,947 Posts

I literally have never read the manual for any vehicle I've owned with automatic climate control. I've owned vehicles from Cadillac, Ford, Volkswagen, Toyota, Lexus, Kia and Chrysler, and rented vehicles from basically every other manufacturer. I just set a temp and hit "AUTO" and have always been comfortable. What could be safer or easier than that?

I'd prefer one, but I can (easily) live without it. I'd also prefer hard buttons for the dash/defrost vent-selection, like my Opel-sourced Verano had. But, by today's standards, the Lacrosse pleases me so much with its ride-comfort (I absolutely love driving it) that I'm willing to overlook some faults or preferences.
Exactly, once you get used to a car preferences for controls are not a big deal.

And we all know your Verano was a rebadged Opel. You don't have to tell us every time you mentioned it.
Old 02-10-19, 08:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Ok, good discussion but gone way off topic now.

reminder, the title is ‘Lexus lost its way with human interface’...

it’s not just about climate control, and is about Lexus.
Old 02-10-19, 08:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Ok, good discussion but gone way off topic now.

reminder, the title is ‘Lexus lost its way with human interface’...

it’s not just about climate control, and is about Lexus.
Have you ever used remote touch?
Old 02-10-19, 08:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
And we all know your Verano was a rebadged Opel. You don't have to tell us every time you mentioned it.
I won't mention any names, but too many people still think it was a rebadged Cruze LOL.
Old 02-10-19, 08:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

[QUOTE=mmarshall;10436370]
Originally Posted by SW17LS
I won't mention any names, but too many people still think it was a rebadged Cruze LOL.
Its not a rebadged Cruze.

Quick Reply: Lexus human interface issues and climate control discussion