Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus human interface issues and climate control discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-19, 07:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

What do you have your feedback set to? It does tend to overshoot, but I've found thats dramatically improved if you have the feedback set to the highest.
Old 01-13-19, 10:12 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
What do you have your feedback set to? It does tend to overshoot, but I've found thats dramatically improved if you have the feedback set to the highest.
I clicked on Menu, then General Settings, then Feedback, then increased Feedback to maximum, and the jog stick does feel a bit stiffer etc, however it still overshoots due to its inherent design to be able to move across "multiple" icons when the joystick is pushed just once.
Lexus could redesign the joystick to only move one icon at a time, but this would be slow and clumsy.

IMO best to adopt a 7-way jog dial design with a rotary detent, where each detent moves the cursor by one icon.
The jog dial design is so efficient because we could easily rotate the dial by 3 to 4 clicks to move the cursor 3 to 4 icons across from left to right, and top to bottom.
Old 01-13-19, 10:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I clicked on Menu, then General Settings, then Feedback, then increased Feedback to maximum, and the jog stick does feel a bit stiffer etc, however it still overshoots due to its inherent design to be able to move across "multiple" icons when the joystick is pushed just once.
Yeah it doesn't do away with that issue, but once you use it for a while that way I think you will find that the higher level of feedback makes it easier to avoid overshooting.
Old 01-13-19, 12:17 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

I am one that never uses auto for hvac. I am always changing things when my kids or wife complains it’s too hot, it’s blowing too much air, etc. Even when I am driving alone I don’t like the full gust of air blowing at me.

As far as Lexus remote touch, I like the joystick in my IS vs the touchpad in the RC I had for a loaner. I just didn’t like the placement of the touchpad, it was very uncomfortable for me to use. I have a touchscreen in my Durango that replaced a touchscreen in my previous GX460 and while overall the Uconnect system is better, I feel the touchscreen isn’t as good. Some of the icons are pretty small and I seem to fatfinger other buttons a lot even when I am on a smooth road. I never had that issue with Lexus’ touchscreen. I also like hard buttons for the heated seats and heated steering wheel, I can hit the buttons much quicker when I get in the car and I can leave the heated seats on all the time. With the uconnect I have to click through a couple screens to get to it although with my Durango both will automatically turn on when I start it up if it is below a certain temperature outside.

Old 01-13-19, 02:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
I am one that never uses auto for hvac. I am always changing things when my kids or wife complains it’s too hot, it’s blowing too much air, etc. Even when I am driving alone I don’t like the full gust of air blowing at me.

As far as Lexus remote touch, I like the joystick in my IS vs the touchpad in the RC I had for a loaner. I just didn’t like the placement of the touchpad, it was very uncomfortable for me to use. I have a touchscreen in my Durango that replaced a touchscreen in my previous GX460 and while overall the Uconnect system is better, I feel the touchscreen isn’t as good. Some of the icons are pretty small and I seem to fatfinger other buttons a lot even when I am on a smooth road. I never had that issue with Lexus’ touchscreen. I also like hard buttons for the heated seats and heated steering wheel, I can hit the buttons much quicker when I get in the car and I can leave the heated seats on all the time. With the uconnect I have to click through a couple screens to get to it although with my Durango both will automatically turn on when I start it up if it is below a certain temperature outside.

This really is a great post. Never ever have I liked auto climate control. Another thing I really do not like at all is push buttons for the hot/cold temp, much prefer dials, the push buttons in my 4Runner just suck IMO. A rotary dial is much better.
Old 01-13-19, 07:56 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
This really is a great post. Never ever have I liked auto climate control. Another thing I really do not like at all is push buttons for the hot/cold temp, much prefer dials, the push buttons in my 4Runner just suck IMO. A rotary dial is much better.

I prefer the rotary dials for temperature control too.
Because without taking my eyes off the road, I can feel for the left/right rotary dial, and then dial say 1 or 2 clicks for half a degree or 1 degree decrease/increase in temperature etc.
The semi-circular buttons in the center for Off/Auto/Dual/A/c are also dead easy to locate too.

With push button temperature control, it is a little harder to locate the up/down/Off/Auto/Dual/A/c buttons.

2012-18 Camry

2000-07 C Class
Old 01-13-19, 08:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Or you can just say "temperature to 73 degrees"
Old 01-14-19, 05:46 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Or you can just say "temperature to 73 degrees"
That's a good point.
Maybe we are just too lazy to adopt new technology?
Or the tongue is just too lazy to wag?

When we can just say:
Left or right
Go or stop
Faster
Lock all doors
Firm up the dampers; firmer.
Park, Neutral, Reverse, Forwards.
Air con
73 degrees
Fan up/down
Slide seat backwards
Recline backwards
Trunk release.
Hood release.
Etc etc.

Elon has a good point with such simplistic user interface Teslas.

I guess we could voice command or graphic user interface GUI a number of functions, as opposed to traditional mechanical controls...

Last edited by peteharvey; 01-14-19 at 06:31 AM.
Old 01-14-19, 08:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I guess we could voice command or graphic user interface GUI a number of functions, as opposed to traditional mechanical controls...
Thats the future. Its just a question of how do you make that so intuitive that anybody can operate it. Lexus does not excel in that department...my point was though that once you get used to the Lexus' system, its not as big a deal as journalists and such make it out to be. It may very well be that when you drive it for 5 hours its harder to use than other systems, but for a consumer who buys a vehicle and learns to use it and uses it every day, its not the huge failure its made out to be.
Old 01-14-19, 11:16 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,730 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm

As a fellow IS owner, I see no reason not to use the auto climate. It works perfectly fine. The only gotcha is - let's say it's 90 degrees outside, and I want to listen to the radio. The A/C gets pretty loud in that scenario, so THEN I might manually turn it down. I usually just switch over the Eco mode temporarily, as that slows the operation of the HVAC system.
Old 01-15-19, 07:55 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Thats the future. Its just a question of how do you make that so intuitive that anybody can operate it. Lexus does not excel in that department...my point was though that once you get used to the Lexus' system, its not as big a deal as journalists and such make it out to be. It may very well be that when you drive it for 5 hours its harder to use than other systems, but for a consumer who buys a vehicle and learns to use it and uses it every day, its not the huge failure its made out to be.
I'd like the primary controls like accelerator, brake, steering and gearbox to be mechanical controls.
I'd like the secondary controls like horn, turn indicators, headlights and wipers to still be mechanical controls.
Meanwhile the tertiary controls like seat adjustment, steering wheel, mirrors, ventilation system, on/off/volume/channels - I'd still like traditional mechanical controls as discussed above.
The quaternary controls like:
- Whether only the driver's door unlocks or all the doors unlock.
- The light delay timing.
- The easy entry seat access sliding half way or the whole way backwards.
- Bass/treble, balance/fader.
These adjustments can be Menu driven via a graphic user interface of touchscreens.
If it's more important, then it could use remote touch on the central console with headup display onto the front windscreen.
Old 01-16-19, 12:35 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
As a fellow IS owner, I see no reason not to use the auto climate. It works perfectly fine. The only gotcha is - let's say it's 90 degrees outside, and I want to listen to the radio. The A/C gets pretty loud in that scenario, so THEN I might manually turn it down. I usually just switch over the Eco mode temporarily, as that slows the operation of the HVAC system.
I’m not saying it doesn’t work fine because I’m sure it does. Just for kicks I tried using it the other day with my wife in the car without saying anything and within seconds she is fiddling with the fan speed, temperature, etc. I then tried using it myself to see if I could set it and forget it and I couldn’t do it, I too was fiddling with stuff. Whether it is blowing too hard or it’s too hot, I had to adjust it to my liking. I just can’t do it. For my house yes it works fine because it’s a larger place and I don’t feel the air as much but In the car it’s just so much smaller that the impact is just greater than I like. Just a personal preference.
Old 01-17-19, 09:52 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

well everyone, i guess toyota solved all my gripes with one big move. Thanks for listening Toyo and for now becoming Number 1 in the infotainment sector
Old 01-24-19, 05:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Watching a LS500 review on my apple TV. Am I correct that all LS have no hard button for the hvac directions? So to change where the air flows, you have to use remote touch?
Old 01-24-19, 06:11 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Yes, but it doesn't matter because you don't plan on owning one lol

Quick Reply: Lexus human interface issues and climate control discussion