Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 BMW 7 Series photos leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-19, 08:41 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
They're not getting a pass. Read any BMW forum, the grill is universally hated. The sad thing is, the headlight design is actually pretty sleek. The car doesn't look bad from the side where you can't see the grille. Like I mentioned to @bitkahuna , its really sad they didn't have the upper grille end where the headlights do, it would make a world of difference.
When I said pass, I mean people on the Lexus forums seem to dig it.

Side note: I think overall the car is pretty well designed minus the grill. They pretty much ruined it with it grill. It doesn't look like an evolved grill - it looks like a cheap out. Its like the BMW executives were like, "We need a new grill.", "I know - lets make it bigger."
Old 01-17-19, 07:56 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
When I said pass, I mean people on the Lexus forums seem to dig it.
Are you reading the same thread I'm reading? Granted that I am 'okay' with it, but many here are not.

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Shape has not changed much... but man that grille looks like a fence.
Originally Posted by jwong77
At least with the Avalon, the top of the grill doesn't extend past the upper limit of the headlight. On the 7, theres no alignment between the two elements and it looks randomly placed.
Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Front looks like a miserable expression to me lol ...
Originally Posted by LexusChris
I think the rear looks fine but , gee what are they thinking with the front, on the x7 I understand it's fine but on the sedans? Is this going to carry over to all the BMW sedans ? I always liked the exterior of the current gen 7 too.
Originally Posted by Kense
That grille looks goofy, to the point I chuckled when I scrolled down. Terrible, also my girlfriend had a 7 Series and it was the most unreliable POS I've ever seen.
Originally Posted by MattyG
The 7 always has had a dignified conservative look and this one looks good too. Really love the lines except for this thing about the oversized grill. Saw the X7 on the road recently and no, those big buck tooth twin kidneys don't look that much better vs pics.

But that's ok. Maybe BMW will sell you a gigantic toothbrush to keep it all nice and clean.
Originally Posted by Big Andy
It's pretty grim that. I've no idea what they are thinking with that grille. As my old dad would say; purely for those whose only taste is in their mouth.
Originally Posted by SW17LS
These big grills are getting out of hand. Hideous IMHO...
Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Those things aren't kidney grills any more.

They're nostrils
Originally Posted by UDel
My god, I first thought those were photo chopped exaggerations making fun of how big the grill is. They are real. Way to ruin a design with such a overly big stupid grill that was not needed.

It would look great if the grill was only as thick as the headlights and went a little further down on them instead of this gaping monstrosity.
Originally Posted by All4Lexus
The new grille has evolved from Kidney size (meaning were very small at first) to Kardashian-sized ones. So from now on, they unofficially known as Kardashian grilles.
Originally Posted by SW17LS
The grill really does look like a photoshopped exaggeration. I like everything else, but that grill just looks ridiculous.
Originally Posted by bitkahuna
They had the Bangle butt years ago, now they’ve got the whomever schnozz...

looks bad and pointless, but maybe, like lexus, they felt the car is overall kinda bland so they had to kick something up a notch to get attention.

other than that though, i bet it’s awesome.

Old 01-17-19, 10:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Can't really speak in detail without seeing the new 7-series in person, but, from what I've seen of your own G90, it's probably a better buy, dollar-for-dollar. You get a darn nice flagship-sized sedan for substantially less money than a 7-series. A G90 is also likely to be more reliable.
thanks... no doubt my car is amazing 'value' but flagship luxury buyers buy what they buy for many reasons, and price for many, isn't one of them.

i've no doubt the new 7 has some tricks up its sleeve that my g90 does not.
Old 01-17-19, 06:48 PM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

I don’t care for the standard 2020 7 series, but the 750i M Sport looks on point. Good Job BMW

2020 BMW 7er M Sport bumper cover

2020 BMW 7er M Sport bumper cover

Last edited by highrev6; 01-17-19 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-17-19, 07:18 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Shut up and take my money.
Old 01-17-19, 09:55 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

My photo shop skills suck but I think a thinner

grill like this would be nicer and would not look so hideous.

Old 01-17-19, 10:11 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

it looks like a filter feeder...but mean....

Whats with "The 7"?
Old 01-18-19, 10:12 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Put me in the minority I guess. I like the larger grill. 7 looks more menacing, muscular overall.
Old 01-19-19, 02:26 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Fugly. Looks like Lexus was on the front end of the ugly, over sized grill curve.
Old 01-19-19, 03:18 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Obviously there is a very gauche, tasteles market for big grills and designers seem to run wild with no constraints to cater to it. Unfortunately the Germans seem to have caught the disease with the 7 and X7. But it still offends aesthetic tastes so popularity doesn't make it right.

Autoblog's then/now article had a nice photo which uses halves from the 7 from the previous gen and this new one to highlight the article. Really shows the depths of tastelessness.