Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

California's new exhaust laws (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-19, 04:45 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Nothing but a money grab - $1,000 ticket is outrageous.
These cops are clueless and just harass people imo.
How can they judge what is loud and if its stock?
Old 01-11-19, 05:02 AM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
25% in 6 years makes sense, 100% - 150% does not.
Oh no.... 25% in one year lol. Probably another 15% over the previous 5 years. these are my speculations, not fact. But I have bought houses during this time, so have watched the market.

I will add for all of the people knocking loud exhausts that smell bad... the ISF picks up substantial power from headers and exhaust. Yes the car gets louder, it also gets much faster. I own my ISF purely for driving enjoyment and legal racing. It’s not foolish or childish to drive a car that is purpose built. I don’t daily drive it though, or I would consider putting mufflers on it, solely because it’s too loud at 630 am when I’m tired.

I am 33 and considered very mature by my colleagues. I behave more like I’m 45 (old soul). Just because you felt immature when you had a loud exhaust doesn’t mean we all are.

Last edited by Jwconeil; 01-11-19 at 07:25 AM.
Old 01-11-19, 05:02 AM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Normally. State bureau's should have lists with the given dB for every car+ OEM exhaust. Don't know if it's current practice in the US, in Switzerland, they have this tool. Whatever, for the road control by us, it's only given to the free judgment of the policeman if the exhaust is "loud" or not. So, what we generally do here, is, we go to the DMV everytime we modify our exhaust, so that it will be controlled to sound level, and this is entered in the vehicules paper. If it's received at the DMV, the policeman will see this in your car papers and can continue his day.
Whatever, USA is another spot and I'm curious to see how you proceed there.

Last edited by Benoit; 01-11-19 at 05:02 AM. Reason: I can't write "there" anymore. Ridiculous error.
Old 01-11-19, 05:05 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

That's tough, I'm in the Bay Area quarterly or more and our office is near 680 I hear lots of modded cars going by and see a lot more than any other state. As RNM pointed out above this is nothing but a money grab. Good luck to all out there with modded cars. My Director always asks me about moving to that area, I actually considered it a few years ago but the cost of living is crazy plus I would have to sell Supra no way that would make it there lol.
Old 01-11-19, 12:27 PM
2010ISF
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
The California Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) has begun operation of the state’s motor vehicle exhaust noise testing program. The program, the product of a SEMA-sponsored law, will equip California automobile hobbyists to fight unfair exhaust noise citations issued by state law enforcement officers. Motorists can now prove their vehicles comply with state noise standards. The law also allows courts to dismiss citations for exhaust systems that have been tested and for which a certificate of compliance has been issued.​​​​​​
https://www.semasan.com/legislative-...-open-business
So I just spoke with a representative from that California BAR about the exhaust noise certification program to see if my exhaust ticket from December could possibly get certified and to get information on the new program. He said in order to get certified the exhaust needs to be under 95 decibels (as we all know) but he said it also needs to have all required equipment like mufflers, resonators and obviously cats. So he told me that if my exhaust is under 95 decibels but only doesn't have a muffler or resonator, it wont be certified because it's missing required equipment. It's my understanding that all or most of the aftermarket exhausts that everybody has are either missing cats, resonators, or mufflers so those with that type of exhaust system wont be able to get certified...
Old 01-11-19, 01:50 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

I know this is about exhaust noise, but others have talked about California in general and all the issues that gravitate to that state.

I was born in LA and lived there for the first 40 years of my life. Left for Oregon, what a difference. There are certainly lots of crazies here in Oregon, but man, California is truly unique. Amazing weather along the coast, amazing topography inland (deserts, mountains) but otherwise full of insanity and unpleasantness.

As for folks leaving that paradise, just look at U-Haul rental rates. Right now, for a 10-foot truck, LA to Phoenix: $717. Phoenix to LA: $89. That means the traffic is mostly one-way and they have serious problems getting trucks back to LA. Says it all right there.

And now that In-n-Out Burger is opening up near Salem Oregon, I literally NEVER have a reason to visit the third-world pit that much of LA has become.
Old 01-11-19, 04:32 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

I hope that doesn't make its way here to Nevada.

I've modified my truck's exhaust to make it a bit louder. Gives it a nice V8 rumble.

If i moved to CA not only would i have to sell my guns, but also my truck lol.
Old 01-11-19, 05:42 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by CAHWY128
California sucks. I love the weather. I am not sure I could leave, but have been thinking more and more of moving. It is one bad law after another.
Do you live for the weather?

I left in 2015, couldn't be happier.
Old 01-11-19, 06:09 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Cali where you can change your gender but not your exhaust
Old 01-11-19, 07:09 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

WHAT!!! This is so ridiculous.

I guess my RCF currently out of state will not be returning to SoCal any time soon.

Originally Posted by 2010ISF
So I just spoke with a representative from that California BAR about the exhaust noise certification program to see if my exhaust ticket from December could possibly get certified and to get information on the new program. He said in order to get certified the exhaust needs to be under 95 decibels (as we all know) but he said it also needs to have all required equipment like mufflers, resonators and obviously cats. So he told me that if my exhaust is under 95 decibels but only doesn't have a muffler or resonator, it wont be certified because it's missing required equipment. It's my understanding that all or most of the aftermarket exhausts that everybody has are either missing cats, resonators, or mufflers so those with that type of exhaust system wont be able to get certified...
Old 01-11-19, 07:30 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
Do you live for the weather?

I left in 2015, couldn't be happier.
2007 for me. Took my black guns and my Supra and left. Never looked back.
Old 01-11-19, 08:10 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

turns out democrats are not useless after all they finally passed a usefull law out of the thousands of useless ones.
Old 01-12-19, 02:15 PM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Yes, this is all BS law.

I hear even the "sport cars" with OEM exhausts see getting ticketed.......I mean if you argue with the LEO....you will end up in jail. So better to just take the ticket and fight it another day in court.

I wonder if the car has an out of state license plate, will this still be enforceable?

​​​​​​
​What am I going to do with my car???​​​​ LOL!!
This picture is not relevant to this discussion. This picture is in the paddock at Laguna Seca Raceway likely for a track day event. For most track days, Laguna Seca (the track owned by Monterey County, not the state) enforces a 90 dB noise limit as measured from a spot outside turn 5. This is because a bunch of NIMBYs who have moved into the area even though the track was already there.

If when on track your car exceeds 90 dB, you get black flagged and asked to fix the issue. If you get a second black flag you're asked to go home. Other tracks in CA, do not have these noise limits as they're more isolated and Laguna does not restrict for major race events.

So, vendors appear at Laguna Seca on track days and provide a service to install temporary additional mufflers on cars that exceed 90 dB. That's what you see on the back of that Porsche GT3. Note they are pointed to the drivers left, away from the measuring station on the right at turn 5. Those things are not on the back of the car to make it louder, they're a temporary, track-day fix to get the car quieter. The lack of a license plate means either the GT3 was new or was not registered for street driving.
Old 01-12-19, 08:46 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
I'm in SoCal and haven't been affected by an earthquake in literally 25 years. Same goes for fire, mudslides, or any of these "shady" police departments you speak of. I'm a car enthusiast, canyon guy, track guy, haven't been ticketed in over 12 years. Why? I just don't act stupid or do stupid juvenile stuff to my car. I did when I was a kid.

I think all this anger, hate, fear is just a matter of people still being in their bro days. You'll get over it as time passes. No need to flog around in a 3,500 street car making burbly noises thinking you're a race car. I like cool fast cars as much as the next guy but rather from the factory -- these loud obnoxious modified cars is a nuisance to the general public. It's especially obnoxious when these cars are decatted spewing toxic S into the air, especially when they're in front of you and your interior has to be filled with that crap. All for what? So a 16 second car can become a 15.9 second car? That's the nonsense here.
Completely agree with this. Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 01-13-19, 05:53 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,951 Likes on 1,374 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
I'm in SoCal and haven't been affected by an earthquake in literally 25 years. Same goes for fire, mudslides, or any of these "shady" police departments you speak of. I'm a car enthusiast, canyon guy, track guy, haven't been ticketed in over 12 years. Why? I just don't act stupid or do stupid juvenile stuff to my car. I did when I was a kid.

I think all this anger, hate, fear is just a matter of people still being in their bro days. You'll get over it as time passes. No need to flog around in a 3,500 street car making burbly noises thinking you're a race car. I like cool fast cars as much as the next guy but rather from the factory -- these loud obnoxious modified cars is a nuisance to the general public. It's especially obnoxious when these cars are decatted spewing toxic S into the air, especially when they're in front of you and your interior has to be filled with that crap. All for what? So a 16 second car can become a 15.9 second car? That's the nonsense here.
There are those of us who modify in a sensible fashion. Yes, I have full bolt-ons. My exhaust has cats, so much for your "Toxic S". I also have valves on my exhaust, so much for your "loud obnoxious cars." And as far as liking "cool fast cars", I really don't believe you do. You put yourself out as better than us, and we annoy you. I have modified every car I've owned, since my first 1950 Mercury, back in 1957. Sorry you don't approve of me, but really doesn't bother me. And I'm really surprised to see you here on a forum that is devoted to making what we drive better, more efficient and faster.

Oh, and I left Santa Barbara back in the late 90s.

Edit - "bro days" "get over it as time passes" What the heck are you smokin' As you can see, I'll never "get over it" Nor do I want to

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 01-13-19 at 09:46 AM.

Quick Reply: California's new exhaust laws (merged threads)