Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Volkswagen Passat

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-19, 04:35 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Is it bad that I like the current European Passat design better than this one? I know that's smaller, but I don't understand why they don't bring that design to the US.

And BTW, how do they put out photos of the 2020 with a conventional IP, and not the virtual dash? Seems like a marketing blunder.
Old 01-16-19, 07:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,483 Likes on 1,631 Posts

3 letters for u.s. market... D-O-A.
Old 01-16-19, 07:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Is it bad that I like the current European Passat design better than this one? I know that's smaller, but I don't understand why they don't bring that design to the US.
VW tried smaller, Euro-style Passats here in the past (along wth a wagon version), and sales were not good. The last American-market Passat, somewhat larger and more in tuned with American tastes, was a little more successful...but the Passat has never really gone over that well on these shores.

And BTW, how do they put out photos of the 2020 with a conventional IP, and not the virtual dash? Seems like a marketing blunder.
They probably don't think the virtual dash will have much appeal....and I agree.
Old 01-17-19, 03:51 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
They probably don't think the virtual dash will have much appeal....and I agree.
The virtual cockpit in my wife's Q7 is the greatest thing ever. I never want a car with fixed mechanical gauges again. Anyone who buys a VWAG product without the virtual cockpit/dashboard is missing out, big time.
Old 01-17-19, 05:30 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

They probably don't think the virtual dash will have much appeal.
This is just not possible.

Old 01-17-19, 07:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
The virtual cockpit in my wife's Q7 is the greatest thing ever. I never want a car with fixed mechanical gauges again. Anyone who buys a VWAG product without the virtual cockpit/dashboard is missing out, big time.
Certainly respect your opinion. We'll see how well the new Passat virtual dash sells.

I agree with you that I'd never want speedometers or odometers again with the old-fashioned mechanical cables, which were a PITA, often made ticking or clicking noises, vibrated, had to be lubricated with graphite, sometimes broke and had to be replaced (I once had that problem in a brand-new 1975 Plymouth), and, with unscrupulous dealers or owners, could be easily rolled back to fraudulently hide a vehicle's mileage. But, my experience has been that some the best gauges are actually of analog design with an electronic source to them, such as the Lexus-designed electroluminescent gauges of the 1990s.
Old 01-17-19, 07:30 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Certainly respect your opinion. We'll see how well the new Passat virtual dash sells.

I agree with you that I'd never want speedometers or odometers again with the old-fashioned mechanical cables, which were a PITA, often made ticking or clicking noises, vibrated, had to be lubricated with graphite, sometimes broke and had to be replaced (I once had that problem in a brand-new 1975 Plymouth), and, with unscrupulous dealers or owners, could be easily rolled back to fraudulently hide a vehicle's mileage. But, my experience has been that some the best gauges are actually of analog design with an electronic source to them, such as the Lexus-designed electroluminescent gauges of the 1990s.
The facelifted Passat is NOT getting Virtual Cockpit. Likely the electrical architecture of the Passat's platform can't support the new module. Digital clusters allow for more information, customizable displays, and yes, at the moment, wow-factor for consumers. This facelift is a punt, or kicking the can further down the road from the initial American Passat that debuted for the 2012 Model Year. Sales are just 1/3 of the peak in 2012. VW oddly didn't see fit to invest to move the American Passat to the highly praised MQB architecture, even though factory sibling Atlas is MQB-based. Would be surprised is we see another Passat in current type of execution, or does Passat re-emerge as some EV sedan in VW's big electrification push?
Old 01-17-19, 07:43 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

I wasn't referring to cable-driven ones. It's been a long time since I've driven a car equipped with one. Just more generally the ones with fixed, physical needles and dials. It's so awesome being able to have that same look/experience if you want, or (as our Q7 is almost always set up) with the speedo and tach shrunken down into the corners and a bunch of other helpful information added into the additional space in the middle.
Old 01-17-19, 08:33 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
The facelifted Passat is NOT getting Virtual Cockpit.
yet its available on the new Jetta...stupid move by VW.

Last edited by bagwell; 01-17-19 at 08:38 AM.
Old 01-17-19, 12:12 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bagwell
yet its available on the new Jetta...stupid move by VW.

Exactly.

Old 01-17-19, 04:23 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts

Was highly anticipating the new Passat and now I'm highly disappointed. It's generic and soft. Outgoing model has sharper lines.
Front overhang is unattractive, as it is on any car that has it.
Dash design is roughly a generation behind.
I don't see this unit creating any thunder at all. It's a livable sedan that could have made a much bigger splash in most categories.
I still miss my 1999 Passat. That thing hugged corners, was very peppy off the line, and wowed with a modern, funky interior. Too bad it was unreliable.
Old 01-17-19, 04:36 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

You guys remember the generic beer that came in a white can that simply said, in big black letters, "BEER" on it?

I am starting to think of the Passat as the automotive equivalent of generic products like that. Like instead of "Passat" or VW on it, this should just be stamped with "CAR".

Last edited by JDR76; 01-17-19 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-17-19, 04:36 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
3 letters for u.s. market... D-O-A.
this is US market Passat, very different from Euro version... i wonder if they sell this version anywhere but in the US? So much money invested in horrible sales in the USA.