Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

curious about vehicle titles

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-19, 11:43 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts
Default curious about vehicle titles

Since I have never traded a vehicle in nor sold one, I know nothing about the process. I would think there's not that much to it. I've got 4 titles in my files and I assume a person signs it and hands it over and there is some bill of sale referring to it.

My brother is getting his Raptor and trading in a RAM. The salesman told him please don't screw up your title. Just sign it, that's it. Don't date it or print anything else on it. We've had problems before where we couldn't sell a car for months because of the customer screwing it up.

First of all, wth? lol Secondly, how does a customer screw it up? Is there some ulterior motive for omitting the date, or printing his name, etc.?

Also, when I've purchased cars, it was not the salesperson who even handled the transaction, always a finance manager, whether or not I was financing. I hope my brother is not getting snookered, he's too nice even in business.
Old 01-22-19, 11:54 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 370 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Since I have never traded a vehicle in nor sold one, I know nothing about the process. I would think there's not that much to it. I've got 4 titles in my files and I assume a person signs it and hands it over and there is some bill of sale referring to it.

My brother is getting his Raptor and trading in a RAM. The salesman told him please don't screw up your title. Just sign it, that's it. Don't date it or print anything else on it. We've had problems before where we couldn't sell a car for months because of the customer screwing it up.

First of all, wth? lol Secondly, how does a customer screw it up? Is there some ulterior motive for omitting the date, or printing his name, etc.?

Also, when I've purchased cars, it was not the salesperson who even handled the transaction, always a finance manager, whether or not I was financing. I hope my brother is not getting snookered, he's too nice even in business.
I've sold a few cars privately and also traded in several cars and I have always owned our vehicles outright so I always have the title on-hand. There have been times when buying a car that I've had to help someone not mess up the title (one time the seller was about to fill in his info as if he was the buyer) because dealing with the DMV is never fun to get things corrected. Nonetheless, it's not complicated, but my $.02 is I would never sign anything until someone fills out everything first. Just a standard rule of knowing what you're signing. If you sign the title and just hand it to the dealer, they can fill it out as they please and I'm not sure if there could be repercussions to your brother for that (entering a different odometer reading, sale value, etc). If it's a straight-forward dealer and salesman they'll have no problem with him walking in with a blank title, have them fill everything out, sign it, and maybe ask for a copy for his records.
Old 01-22-19, 12:02 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I'll have to look at mine when I am home just to see what "can" be filled out. I would prefer myself for things to be filled out entirely, not me signing and let them fill out the rest, but again I know people trade in cars all the time.

Also, the salesman emailed my brother he won't be there, but you will be dealing with "Sam," and he's a good guy. On a purchase like this, just me, the salesperson should offer to come in, he knew it would be Thu., when he sold the vehicle on Sat. On my BMW the car came in on a Friday and the saleswoman was willing to meet me on her day off. I declined since it was raining, but at least she offered. She even advised me the vehicle has 3 miles on the odometer, but it will have 4 on Saturday because they had to drive it down the road to store it. These are just courtesy items in the trade, that's all...