Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Better Remote Start Software In The Future

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-19, 01:48 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 421 Likes on 287 Posts
Default Better Remote Start Software In The Future

This weekend I rented a brand new 2019 Nissan Altima SL with remote start on the key FOB. I suspect there is software available to start from a phone too, but I do not know that for sure. I noticed that when the car is started, it "knows" to heat up the rear defroster, the heated seats and the heated steering wheel. Furthermore, when getting into the previously remotely started car, it does not shut off or require to be shut off. You just hit the start button and it shifts from "remote start" mode (with no lights on) to full drive mode. THIS is how remote start should work. Has Toyota gotten up to speed like this on any of their vehicles and will it soon migrate to Lexus?
Old 01-22-19, 04:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

^^ yup, that's exactly how it worked on my jeep and now on my genesis.
Old 01-22-19, 04:48 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
This weekend I rented a brand new 2019 Nissan Altima SL with remote start on the key FOB. I suspect there is software available to start from a phone too, but I do not know that for sure. I noticed that when the car is started, it "knows" to heat up the rear defroster, the heated seats and the heated steering wheel. Furthermore, when getting into the previously remotely started car, it does not shut off or require to be shut off. You just hit the start button and it shifts from "remote start" mode (with no lights on) to full drive mode. THIS is how remote start should work. Has Toyota gotten up to speed like this on any of their vehicles and will it soon migrate to Lexus?
Can you explain this a little more? We have remote start on our matrix. Mine does not need to be turned off to drive off. Just needs the key in the lock and move it to on. Are you saying Toyota’s need to be stopped and then started again?
Old 01-22-19, 05:03 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Can you explain this a little more? We have remote start on our matrix. Mine does not need to be turned off to drive off. Just needs the key in the lock and move it to on. Are you saying Toyota’s need to be stopped and then started again?
Yes. In current Lexus remote start, the car turns back off when you open the door, so you have to restart it when you get in.
Old 01-22-19, 05:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
Thats how remote start works on most cars, Lexus is the only one I've seen that has the weird shut off when the door is opened thing, and doesn't make those climate choices based on the outside temp.
Old 01-23-19, 03:38 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Yes. In current Lexus remote start, the car turns back off when you open the door, so you have to restart it when you get in.
This is the stupidest thing ever. I was aware of this before (a sales rep told me at some point), but being reminded of it makes my eyebrows twitch.
Old 01-23-19, 06:38 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm pretty sure Mazdas do it too (don't use remote start so I can't be 100% sure). It's a safety feature, it prevents someone from hopping into the car and driving off with it while it's idling away in the driveway.

I believe Fortin offers a system that either disables or bypasses that feature for Mazdas. I'm sure the same thing exists for Lexus. Now, turning on the defroster, heated seats and heated steering wheel, that's a nice feature to have.
Old 01-23-19, 07:08 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

When I use the remote start on the Odyssey, it requires hitting the lock button twice on the keyfob before hitting the remote start button. It also doesn't shift into drive unless I fully start the car. Seems like a smarter way to do it than to force stop the car.
Old 01-23-19, 07:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

They think its a safety feature, but its totally outdated as proven by competitors that offer the same safety without the vehicle shutting off.
Old 01-23-19, 08:37 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Originally Posted by SW17LS
They think its a safety feature, but its totally outdated as proven by competitors that offer the same safety without the vehicle shutting off.
The Enform Remote in my GS has a great safety feature. It never works so I can never remote start my car Before I gave up on it, I was tracking success rates and it was down around 9%. Dealer couldn't do squat for me.
Old 01-23-19, 08:39 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Allen K
The Enform Remote in my GS has a great safety feature. It never works so I can never remote start my car Before I gave up on it, I was tracking success rates and it was down around 9%. Dealer couldn't do squat for me.
That's terrible! I use mine on my GS almost daily without issue. I just get annoyed with the shutoff thing, but it's a total first world problem.
Old 01-23-19, 08:48 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

It really was. It kept telling me the battery was the issue, but the dealer checked the system and said there wasn't an issue. To their credit, the folks running Enform were reasonable and refunded me my subscription
Old 01-23-19, 09:07 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by sm1ke
It's a safety feature, it prevents someone from hopping into the car and driving off with it while it's idling away in the driveway.
It's still completely stupid because there are other ways to accomplish the same goal. Every remote start I've ever used shuts the car off if you step on the brake pedal or try to shift into gear without putting in the key (or having it inside the car for modern keyless models).
Old 01-23-19, 09:14 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
It's still completely stupid because there are other ways to accomplish the same goal. Every remote start I've ever used shuts the car off if you step on the brake pedal or try to shift into gear without putting in the key (or having it inside the car for modern keyless models).
If anything seems like additional wear/tear causing the driver to start a 2nd time. Maybe they are assuming a thief took the fob from the owner as well so as soon as the door opens the vehicle stops and gives the owner a chance to catch up? I've only done remote start on GM vehicles and it requires the vehicle to be locked prior to when the remote start happens.
Old 01-23-19, 09:16 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I've only done remote start on GM vehicles and it requires the vehicle to be locked prior to when the remote start happens.
Lexus is the same way. I cannot remote start my GS unless the doors are locked.

Quick Reply: Better Remote Start Software In The Future