Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 Genesis GV80

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-20, 06:24 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Very interesting tech and features. I particularly like the turn signal design from the front, side, to back.

I'm interested to see if the side markers make it to the US market.
Old 01-16-20, 07:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I'm interested to see if the side markers make it to the US market.

Nothing really wrong with that design, but probably would make more sense to have them on the side-mirrors, where they can be seen from more different angles (including the driver). I like the way GM does it....a small piece of the flasher wraps around the rear of the mirror-housing so the driver can see when it is flashing (or if they forgot to turn it off LOL)
Old 01-16-20, 07:44 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Very interesting tech and features. I particularly like the turn signal design from the front, side, to back.

agreed, looks awesome and accentuates the branding double line theme.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Nothing really wrong with that design, but probably would make more sense to have them on the side-mirrors, where they can be seen from more different angles (including the driver). I like the way GM does it....a small piece of the flasher wraps around the rear of the mirror-housing so the driver can see when it is flashing (or if they forgot to turn it off LOL)
first off forgetting to turn it off (a cliche stereotype of old people in cadillacs in florida as you know ) should be more a thing of the past based on the way the turn signal stalk works. like i believe a bmw, you tap the stalk and the turn signal returns to its normal position and flashes the turn signal a configurable number of times (3, 5, or 7 on mine i believe). so i almost never actually click the stalk down. plus my g90 in particular has a somewhat loud and kinda cheesy sounding turn signal sound that few are likely to not hear. i believe it was cadillac or lincoln at one time had a steadily increasing volume for the signal clicker to get a driver's attention.

but as far as putting the side marker on the mirror, i disagree as the front, side, rear form a line in the current design that's really strong. your approach might be better on something like a g70.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 01-16-20 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-16-20, 07:48 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
but as far as putting the side market on the mirror, i disagree as the front, side, rear form a line in the current design that's really strong. your approach might be better on something like a g70.
I think it looks great on the fender. But it could be just Euro spec or the Korean market only. I think it is a bold move to put it where it is. Stands out nicely
Old 01-16-20, 08:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

The refresh G90 has the same turn signal setup even in the US, so I'm sure this will make it here also.
Old 01-16-20, 09:00 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

i believe it was cadillac or lincoln at one time had a steadily increasing volume for the signal clicker to get a driver's attention.
This is brilliant, especially considering their traditional market demographics.
Old 01-16-20, 12:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

My dads Lincoln and Cadillac would ding real loud if the blinker was left on lol
Old 01-16-20, 01:21 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts

Brave and Lincoln-esque, but nothing too exciting in my eyes. Grille is a dated shape, and looks weird with chrome trim around all sides except the top.
Some of the other styling details are tacky and overdone. I see the side blinker as more of a negative, where people are going to be distracted/startled by seeing such a large splotch of orange light up beside them on the road.
Steering wheel lacks spokes for grabbing onto when turning the wheel. It's really more of a modernized Crown Victoria/2001 Ford F-150 wheel. Not really vehicles or an era you want to emulate in 2020.
Will probably sell well if priced right.
Old 01-16-20, 01:25 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
My dads Lincoln and Cadillac would ding real loud if the blinker was left on lol
This was actually a GREAT feature and I wish it were on all cars today. With distracted/cell phone driving so widespread and out of control, the amount of people driving with blinkers on has skyrocketed.
Old 01-16-20, 02:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
This was actually a GREAT feature and I wish it were on all cars today. With distracted/cell phone driving so widespread and out of control, the amount of people driving with blinkers on has skyrocketed.
worse than leaving them on though, is not using them at all, which i see vastly more often.
Old 01-16-20, 03:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Cnet review... high praise.

https://www.cnet.com/g00/roadshow/ne...er=&i10c.dv=20
Old 01-16-20, 08:00 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

So after reading that Genesis is using the same supplier as Lexus for their RTI setup (touchpad infotainment), anyone know the major market supplier Genesis is going to use for their adaptive driving suite, seems like its mobileye but could be wrong here.

If Genesis is linking up with the same suppliers as Lexus, they really are targeting the core Lexus folks, so watch out.
Old 01-16-20, 08:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

A good review. $57K is a decent starting price, I think. I wonder if they have the same long warranty and other perks as the US

was not expecting this comment:
I expected Hyundai's latest and greatest active noise-cancellation system to work miracles, though it did not.
Old 01-17-20, 05:14 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 394 Likes on 267 Posts

"This vehicle's cabin is positively sumptuous, an absolute class act that should keep BMW and Mercedes-Benz product planners up at night." Sounds like a variation of what people said of the LS in the early 90's.
Old 01-17-20, 05:19 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

like i believe a bmw, you tap the stalk and the turn signal returns to its normal position and flashes the turn signal a configurable number of times (3, 5, or 7 on mine i believe). so i almost never actually click the stalk down. plus my g90 in particular has a somewhat loud and kinda cheesy sounding turn signal sound that few are likely to not hear. i believe it was cadillac or lincoln at one time had a steadily increasing volume for the signal clicker to get a driver's attention.
BMW has actually gone away from this, they now click down and return. Too many people that didn't know how to cancel haha. Was GS the only Lexus that adopted this (not sure if it still has it or not)?

I don't know why they don't increase in volume after 0.25 miles and/or 30 seconds etc. With today's speakers, you could also have the sound come from the respective side of the vehicle to help indicate what side it is.

But with Genesis, I like the dual band theme connecting the front and rear lights, and agree that it has to be on the quarter panel to maintain that height line and spacing, wouldn't fit on the side mirror housing.

Quick Reply: 2021 Genesis GV80