Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 Genesis GV80

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-20, 06:23 AM
PWMDMD
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
What difference does it make? Genesis will come to you and take your Genesis and take it the service department for you..no need to ever visit the dealer (which is probably just a Hyundai garage at the present time)
How long does that service last? Easy to do when volume is low but if Genesis gets any traction and sales volumes increase there is just no way to pickup and deliver the volume of vehicles going through the dealership service department of a more mature brand. I agree that service is great while sales volume is building and they are building standalone dealerships but sooner or later Genesis customers will be sitting in the dealerships.
Old 01-18-20, 06:25 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by PWMDMD
How long does that service last? Easy to do when volume is low but if Genesis gets any traction and sales volumes increase there is just no way to pickup and deliver the volume of vehicles going through the dealership service department of a more mature brand.
Yes, I agree, if they ever get the volumes substantially higher, I think you would be right....but what counts as a "mature brand"? Lincoln is offering this service right now too
Old 01-18-20, 06:32 AM
PWMDMD
Rookie

Yes, I agree, if they ever get the volumes substantially higher, I think you would be right....but what counts as a "mature brand"? Lincoln is offering this service right now too
More than 100K and change in sales. My guess is Genesis wants to be minimally 3x that sales volume. Also, aren't most Lincoln dealerships just Ford dealerships? You have the man-power and resources of one of the largest car sellers worldwide "helping out" with Lincoln. Hyundai and Kia do well but combined I don't think they sell as well as just the F150 alone.
Old 01-18-20, 06:34 AM
PWMDMD
Rookie

I take that back...Hyundai and Kia sell a lot of cars...I guess we will see....I'm rooting for Hyundai/Kia/Genesis.
Old 01-18-20, 06:37 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PWMDMD
More than 100K and change in sales. My guess is Genesis wants to be minimally 3x that sales volume. Also, aren't most Lincoln dealerships just Ford dealerships? .
I know of a few Lexus dealers now that do not have service bays, they drive the over to the Toyota dealer (which they own as well) and the Lexus is serviced in the back (but not with the Toyota cars) I would expect the Genesis and Hyundai to do the same.
Old 01-18-20, 07:23 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,633 Posts

PWMDMD - do you like having to go the lexus dealership at all though? Maybe with the shiny marble, granite, stainless steel etc and well dressed people it makes you feel good (that's not a knock down, i get it, it's a nice place!). With my genesis the only time i've been to the dealer was when i picked it up.
Old 01-18-20, 07:41 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
PWMDMD - do you like having to go the lexus dealership at all though? Maybe with the shiny marble, granite, stainless steel etc and well dressed people it makes you feel good (that's not a knock down, i get it, it's a nice place!).
I have always liked going to the dealer when I need service. It gives me an hour or so to forget about work, life, problems and just enjoy something like the different cars inside a showroom. See what's new etc etc. I also go for service during my business work time, instead of my after-hours personal leisure or weekend time
Old 01-18-20, 07:57 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

As I mentioned previously, my neighbor just bought a G80. I did like how they dropped the car off at his house to try it out for the weekend. He called them on Sunday to let him know of his intent to buy it. They came to his house on Monday with all of the paperwork. Done! Great way to buy a car as long as you know what you want. I like to walk around the lot and look at all of the colors and options.
Old 01-18-20, 07:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I have always liked going to the dealer when I need service. It gives me an hour or so to forget about work, life, problems and just enjoy something like the different cars inside a showroom. See what's new etc etc. I also go for service during my business work time, instead of my after-hours personal leisure or weekend time

Do you work on Saturdays? Many service departments are not staying open on Saturday to accomodate those who work M-F. Also, many jobs have annual leave that you can take during the week for whatever reason you want.
Old 01-18-20, 08:03 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Also, many jobs have annual leave that you can take during the week for whatever reason you want.
I am the owner. I do whatever I want LOL.

Do you work on Saturdays?
I work every day LOL. Saturday and Sunday is more just emails (glancing over prior day financials, sales, and payroll numbers) in the very early mornings at 5am, but payroll I sometimes approve on Sunday. I have learned how to shut everything off when I want...and make time just for myself...there used to be a time in Ontario where Sunday shopping was banned, stores were not allowed to be open...it was such a wonderful and peaceful time

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-18-20 at 08:12 AM.
Old 01-18-20, 08:10 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Do you work on Saturdays? Many service departments are not staying open on Saturday to accomodate those who work M-F. Also, many jobs have annual leave that you can take during the week for whatever reason you want.
Around here it seems to be the opposite. More and more service departments are staying open later on Saturdays. Some Toyota dealerships are even making Sunday appointments for light duty stuff, like oil changes. It’s been very helpful. They’re all competing and looking for a leg up on the other dealerships.
Old 01-18-20, 09:01 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

PWMDMD - do you like having to go the lexus dealership at all though? Maybe with the shiny marble, granite, stainless steel etc and well dressed people it makes you feel good (that's not a knock down, i get it, it's a nice place!). With my genesis the only time i've been to the dealer was when i picked it up.
Even with their compelling products Genesis is going to have to appeal to potential buyers from other luxury brands who are used to a certain sales and service experience. I'm sure the brand knows this. They have to keep the pressure on the dealers to deliver.
Old 01-18-20, 09:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Many service departments are not staying open on Saturday
Originally Posted by JDR76
Around here it seems to be the opposite. More and more service departments are staying open later on Saturdays.

I'm sorry....good catch. A typo on my part .........I meant to say they are stating open on Saturdays.

(I might need two cups of that Starbucks French Roast in the morning instead of one LOL)
Old 01-18-20, 10:41 AM
PWMDMD
Rookie

I don't mind it...my comment was made not only about my own preference but what I perceive will likely be the preference of many who are in that market. Again, the pickup/drop-off service sounds awesome as long as it's sustainable if volume pick ups.

Old 01-18-20, 01:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

This is a big thing that I dont really think about, because like you I go to the dealer during the workday because I have no set work schedule. When you cant just leave the office and go drop off/pick up your car the pickup/dropoff is a lot more appealing.

Personally, I always find it more annoying to wait around for someone to come get my car and drop it off than I do just taking it there myself. I like to remain on my own timetable. If I was just working in an office all day though it would be a different thing.

What I like in modern dealers is when they have a quick lane where I can roll in without an appointment and have an oil change/tire rotation done. This doesn't seem to be a luxury dealer thing yet, but you see it in mainstream dealers, and these typically also have Sunday hours. My Chrysler dealer has this, unfortunately I never get to use it because its such a steaming pile of crap and always has a big list of problems when its time for an oil change. I did use it with the Jeep once lol

Id love to roll by the Lexus dealer, and be in and out in 30 mins with an oil change and tire rotation. Nice separate waiting area where you can watch the car get serviced...or just stay in your car...not a lot of real estate required for that either.

Quick Reply: 2021 Genesis GV80