Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 Genesis GV80

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-20, 01:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I'd love to roll by the Lexus dealer, and be in and out in 30 mins with an oil change and tire rotation. Nice separate waiting area where you can watch the car get serviced...or just stay in your car...not a lot of real estate required for that either.
You might have to add some time to that 30 minutes if you want the free vehicle wash that comes with Lexus service. That used to be a feature of luxury-vehicle (and Saturn) dealerships, but is now going mainstream. My GMC dealership has been doing it now for the last couple of years.
Old 01-18-20, 01:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You might have to add some time to that 30 minutes if you want the free vehicle wash that comes with Lexus service. That used to be a feature of luxury-vehicle (and Saturn) dealerships, but is now going mainstream. My GMC dealership has been doing it now for the last couple of years.
I always decline the wash, Ive found they all do a crappy job and wind up swirling the car up. With that said though, several local dealers have full tunnel carwashes on their campuses that customers can use. At one of the Chrysler dealers (its also Chevrolet and GMC, Criswell in Gaithersburg) they have one and with your service you can take a trip through the carwash afterwards if you like. No reason it cant take 30 minutes, Changing the oil and rotating the tires literally takes 10-15 minutes in a lane style where the car doesnt have to be lifted.

My Lexus dealer has a tunnel carwash, issue is they dont dry them so they get all spotted up.
Old 01-18-20, 01:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I always decline the wash, Ive found they all do a crappy job and wind up swirling the car up. With that said though, several local dealers have full tunnel carwashes on their campuses that customers can use. At one of the Chrysler dealers (its also Chevrolet and GMC, Criswell in Gaithersburg) they have one and with your service you can take a trip through the carwash afterwards if you like.

My Lexus dealer has a tunnel carwash, issue is they dont dry them so they get all spotted up.
Carry a soft towel with you in the trunk......that's what I do, along with a bottle of SCRATCH-OUT, some rags, and a couple of other care items. Fortunately, my GMC dealership does a good wash job on everything but the wheels....without swirling the paint.
Old 01-18-20, 01:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'd rather just take it down the road and have it washed well lol

My dealer doesnt even have to be told not to wash my car anymore.
Old 01-18-20, 09:05 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 01-19-20, 07:05 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Anyone else think the brakes on the gv80 look tiny?

My own feelings thus far:
exterior b-
Interior a-
Room c

From watching that long test drive video it doesn't seem as quiet as I would have hoped. The unique ranc noise cancellation seems more aimed at allowing less sounds insulating material to be used (saving weight and cost) than making the car tomb quiet like I want.

Old 01-19-20, 07:07 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Anyone else think the brakes on the gv80 look tiny?

My own feelings thus far:
exterior b-
Interior a-
Room c

From watching that long test drive video it doesn't seem as quiet as I would have hoped. The unique ranc noise cancellation seems more aimed at allowing less sounds insulating material to be used (saving weight and cost) than making the car tomb quiet like I want.
It weights 5000lbs, so less sound insulation means nothing. You can’t tell anything from a video. Plus, not everyone values “quiet”, sometimes you need a pulse. This model is a Korean home model, not an export.
Old 01-19-20, 07:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
It weights 5000lbs, so less sound insulation means nothing. You can’t tell anything from a video. Plus, not everyone values “quiet”, sometimes you need a pulse. This model is a Korean home model, not an export.

Like I told bit in an earlier post, road surfaces, even with good or brand-new tires and effective insulation, can make a noticeable difference in noise. This can be noticeable even in otherwise notably quiet vehicles.

BTW, I agree with bit on one thing.........in general, the quieter, the better.
Old 01-19-20, 07:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I gotta say, I like it a lot more in that video than I did in pictures.
Old 01-19-20, 07:29 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Like I told bit in an earlier post, road surfaces, even with good or brand-new tires and effective insulation, can make a noticeable difference in noise. This can be noticeable even in otherwise notably quiet vehicles.
Ranc is designed precisely to deal with road noise.
Old 01-19-20, 12:19 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
This was actually a GREAT feature and I wish it were on all cars today. With distracted/cell phone driving so widespread and out of control, the amount of people driving with blinkers on has skyrocketed.
I'd rather them just stay on. Then when it gets dark, and they don't even know their headlights are off, I have a better chance at actually seeing them because of the turn signal that's still on.
Old 01-19-20, 12:21 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PWMDMD
Love everything about it except....the damn tachometer.! Why reinvent the wheel here...tach should go clockwise!!!!
No one's going to look at it anyway. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 01-19-20, 12:26 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
What difference does it make? Genesis will come to you and take your Genesis and take it the service department for you..no need to ever visit the dealer (which is probably just a Hyundai garage at the present time)
Not everyone wants this or can use it. I used to commute to work by train in downtown Philly. There's no way in that instance that I could use the Lexus pickup/drop off service--I would have to drive into town that day, and pay the parking lot 3 times--to park my car, then to park the loaner, then to park my car again when it's returned. And my Lexus dealership only had 2 drivers to perform pickup/drop off. If everyone used the pickup/drop off, they'd stop offering it because they'd only service like 4 cars per day.

You are at the mercy of their schedule--if you work all day in a suburban office park--it's perfect. Otherwise, it may be less than perfect.
Old 01-28-20, 12:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

livestream of US debut is tonight at 8p ET.

https://www.motor1.com/news/395434/g...gv80-us-debut/
Old 01-29-20, 07:32 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

so they're launching in u.s. this summer with 2.5 turbo 4 and 3.5 turbo 6.

Quick Reply: 2021 Genesis GV80