Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 Genesis GV80

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-20, 12:31 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
like car shows, physical dealerships will become less and less relevant except to those who need to be 'impressed' or feel 'important' or 'special'.
I still want a good dealership. And it's not about feeling special or important. It's about going to one facility, seeing models, colors and options side by side. That's important to me and that's not something I can get when Genesis just comes to my house.
Old 03-08-20, 12:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,487 Likes on 1,633 Posts

if i only have to visit a dealer every 3 years, i really don't care what it's like.
Old 03-08-20, 01:48 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Surprised how high Genesis priced it.
I thought it would be $40k to $60k.

why anyone would pay $50k+ for a 4cyl SUV from Genesis?
Old 03-08-20, 01:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

if i only have to visit a dealer every 3 years, i really don't care what it's like.
Most luxury consumers do care though.
Old 03-08-20, 01:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
why anyone would pay $50k+ for a 4cyl SUV from Genesis?
because it's less than the 60k bmw and mercedes wants.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Most luxury consumers do care though.
only because they HAVE to go to the dealer, plus those for whom a fancy dealership validates their self-esteem.
Old 03-08-20, 02:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

, plus those for whom a fancy dealership validates their self-esteem.
Which is most of them lol. Dealers are a really important part of the whole luxury experience, and for most consumers that experience is one of the main reasons they buy a luxury car. Genesis will always be a generic low cost alternative until they get the whole experience right.
Old 03-08-20, 02:38 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
They will need to have the Hyundai/Genesis dealerships spruced up and ready for potential Genesis buyers coming in from other luxury brands. Expectations will be higher and they'll need to do the best they can to offer a good experience.
I agree. We have Genesis showrooms in shopping malls in Toronto. They are run by an agency. It is a nice start but things will be very hard for Genesis as most buyers are locked into their brands. IMO, Lexus only succeeds and goes so far because of its parent Toyota brand, Lexus is a natural and logical stepping for Toyota owners...Genesis I think needs to nail down their Hyundai experience which will help Genesis do well for their buyers, I can see a Palisade owner moving up to Genesis...same with Stinger.... As for Mercedes or BMW buying or trading in for Genesis, I doubt it...maybe Lexus buyers....but they still need dealers for those buyers to visit.
Old 03-08-20, 08:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Which is most of them lol. Dealers are a really important part of the whole luxury experience, and for most consumers that experience is one of the main reasons they buy a luxury car. Genesis will always be a generic low cost alternative until they get the whole experience right.
yup. It's just going to take time, and likely won't happen in anything but very busy areas.
Old 03-08-20, 10:03 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

because it's less than the 60k bmw and mercedes wants.

only because they HAVE to go to the dealer, plus those for whom a fancy dealership validates their self-esteem.
BMW and MB have earned the right to charge what they do.

Genesis has ZERO brand equity at this point and no brand awareness even to 90 + % of shoppers.
Lexus took a good 10yrs to start asking close to the Germans.
Genesis is not playing the long game here but taking a page out of Cadillac’s playbook- which is wrong way to go.

Also their leases better be extra cheap with no dealerships around. So far my Genesis experiences have been subpar with a $699 lease quote on G80 Sport last year LOL. They had 8-10 of them, not even a follow up call from them.
Old 03-10-20, 05:03 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Hi everyone! Was mainly lurking til now but I found this online and wanted to share: it's the Korean spec sheets for the engine horsepower/torque and fuel economy figures. Fuel economy figures won't be applicable to most of us here in the US until it gets tested because I'm told each country measures it differently, but the engines make a lot of oomph. 2.5T is 304hp and 311lb/ft of torque, while 3.5T is 380hp and 390lb/ft. The 4-cylinder turbo might be class-leading in its segment. And glad to see all engine options are both port and direct injection.

Old 03-10-20, 05:59 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

like car shows, physical dealerships will become less and less relevant except to those who need to be 'impressed' or feel 'important' or 'special'.
Maybe so, but I bought a Hyundai last summer. And if the same sales people I dealt with during that process are also the Genesis sales people, then Genesis has an uphill battle. Perhaps all the "best" sales people will be the ones assigned to Genesis sales when the Genesis dealership is on the same floor as Hyundai. But who knows.
Old 03-10-20, 06:32 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Maybe so, but I bought a Hyundai last summer. And if the same sales people I dealt with during that process are also the Genesis sales people, then Genesis has an uphill battle. Perhaps all the "best" sales people will be the ones assigned to Genesis sales when the Genesis dealership is on the same floor as Hyundai. But who knows.
everyone's experience will vary. my genesis experience (getting the car) was fine. i've had worse, and maybe better. but my expectations are on the floor when it comes to buying/leasing a vehicle.
this morning 'bob' returned my car to my office after it was serviced yesterday and he took back the loaner. he was very polite and friendly, it's ridiculously convenient, and i haven't paid ANYTHING for maintenance thus far (2 years).
Old 03-10-20, 11:21 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
This has been my experience with dealing with Hyundai salespeople as well. A couple months ago I actually stepped in and said something to the guy and requested a new salesperson from the sales manager because he was so incredibly nasty to the receptionist.

You just dont have that kind of experience at a luxury car dealership.

Now, I did also have a very good experience at the Ford/Lincoln dealer. So they can do it under one roof and have it still be handled well.
Old 03-10-20, 02:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Now, I did also have a very good experience at the Ford/Lincoln dealer. So they can do it under one roof and have it still be handled well.
Which one were you at? (I assume you were looking at the Aviator and Explorer). Ted Britt Ford/Lincoln, in Chantilly, in that same large dealer-complex as Hyundai/Genesis of Chantilly and the Fair Oaks Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram dealership where you got your Pacifica, is very good.

Ted Britt does it by having a split-showroom...a larger one, by the front door, for Ford, and a smaller but more upscale one at the right-side entrance. The General Manager and Lincoln salespeople have different offices and desks, in the Lincoln part, from the Ford sales-crew.

Doesn't seem to be that way a Hyundai/Genesis of Chantilly. It is a large and impressive shop, but, as you say, does everything not only under one roof but in one large showroom as well.
Old 03-10-20, 07:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

You just dont have that kind of experience at a luxury car dealership.
maybe you haven't but i've had some terrible experiences at luxury dealerships too.

it's all anecdotal and no one here has a huge experience of different dealer salespersons.

Quick Reply: 2021 Genesis GV80