Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 Genesis GV80

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-20, 06:50 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Don't know about luxury customers, but Hyundai sold way more Genesis back when it was still branded as a Hyundai. 25,000 Genesis sedans were sold in 2015, and 18,000 in 2016. The 2015 sales of the sedan alone were more than what they've sold for the entire brand in the past year with the G70/80/90 (about 21,000 combined). The sales actually went down because they decided to rebadge it and couldn't sort out their dealer network, getting sued by their own Hyundai dealers in the process for trying to set up a new Genesis-only franchise.

Can't knock Genesis for not trying, but Hyundai dealerships are such parasites that they'll drag down the parent company with them.
Old 03-13-20, 07:09 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Don't know about luxury customers, but Hyundai sold way more Genesis back when it was still branded as a Hyundai. 25,000 Genesis sedans were sold in 2015, and 18,000 in 2016. The 2015 sales of the sedan alone were more than what they've sold for the entire brand in the past year with the G70/80/90 (about 21,000 combined). The sales actually went down because they decided to rebadge it and couldn't sort out their dealer network, getting sued by their own Hyundai dealers in the process for trying to set up a new Genesis-only franchise.

Can't knock Genesis for not trying, but Hyundai dealerships are such parasites that they'll drag down the parent company with them.
A total mess. Hopefully they can figure it out.
Old 03-13-20, 07:13 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Mark Del Rosso was recently put in charge of Genesis NA and he's done wonders for Lexus and Audi. If he can't save the Genesis dealerships, nobody can.
Old 03-13-20, 07:43 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes and no. I am not a typical customer in that, ...
My comment was specifically to SW17LS, but yes, you and many others on CL are definitely not typical consumers.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
You haven't been to a proper luxury car dealer.
mmarshall's comment was in response to mine about mainstream brand dealers, NOT luxury dealers. and mmarshall has certainly been to all kinds of 'proper' luxury car dealers... he's probably been to more dealers than most of us.

Mark Del Rosso was recently put in charge of Genesis NA and he's done wonders for Lexus and Audi. If he can't save the Genesis dealerships, nobody can.
Genesis has a road ahead and changes needed to be sure... maybe at some point they'll pull the plug, but i think they're committed to plans for at least the next few years.
Old 03-13-20, 07:48 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
maybe at some point they'll pull the plug, but i think they're committed to plans for at least the next few years.
Given how much of a success they've been in their home country, I doubt they will can it anytime soon. With their new CUV on the horizon and their dealerships being able to actually sell cars now (something that couldn't happen before due to the ridiculous lawsuit and dealership mess that prevented a good chunk of G70 and G90 from even making it into dealerships in a timely manner upon introduction), I expect them to be as successful as they were with the Telluride and Palisade. Whether those customers buying them will be from luxury brands or not doesn't matter all that much. As more affluent customers arrive, the dealerships will have no choice but to change.

Last edited by Motorola; 03-13-20 at 07:57 AM.
Old 03-13-20, 08:29 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I think the Genesis brand is 5 years in now. Very hard to make it work at this point in the US. Worldwide maybe, in markets that have never heard of the brand. People also have to stop trying to compare them to Lexus, they are not Lexus and they need to make their own path....whatever that is.....Lexus is only a success because of the success of Toyota.......A Genesis branded Palisade would be a huge hit (in the United States)
Old 03-13-20, 09:08 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I think the Genesis brand is 5 years in now. Very hard to make it work at this point in the US. Worldwide maybe, in markets that have never heard of the brand. People also have to stop trying to compare them to Lexus, they are not Lexus and they need to make their own path....whatever that is.....Lexus is only a success because of the success of Toyota.......A Genesis branded Palisade would be a huge hit (in the United States)
You contradict yourself
Old 03-13-20, 09:21 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
You contradict yourself
Not at all.
Old 03-13-20, 09:23 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,633 Posts

I think the Genesis brand is 5 years in now.
no, G90 first model year was 2017. hyundai had MODELS named genesis (coupe and sedan) but that wasn't a separate brand then.
they tried to be nice to their hyundai dealers and let them all sell genesis brand but then realized many don't cut it, but then were sued when trying to cut them off (you can't pick and choose models/brands sold under a single franchise agreement) so they had to take away genesis from all then re-authorize all eligible genesis dealer franchises separately. that certainly was a cluster and cost them thousands of sales. BUT the g70 has won endless awards and has sold reasonably well in a crowded market with dwindling interest from consumers. the refreshed (2020) G90 has received widespread praise with consistent questions about how much people care about brands... as you know, they do, but great product can and does make converts... it will be a slow climb, if ever, and the virus certainly will CRUSH all auto sales this year. so who knows. but to your point, they're not 5 years in, they're 3 in with 1 lost year.

Lexus is only a success because of the success of Toyota.......A Genesis branded Palisade would be a huge hit (in the United States)
why do you say the first point? because they could leverage toyota platforms for lexus? that's only fwd platforms of course which, while they sell (well), diminish lexus' credibility - most don't consider the RX to be the equal of GLE or X5 for example.

all branding is a compromise somehow... you have to sell enough to be viable, but often what you have to sell is at odds with what you project. like a lambo suv.

Old 03-13-20, 09:34 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Not at all.
Your argument is riveting..

You said it would be hard to make Genesis work at this point in the US, followed by A Genesis branded Palisade would be a huge hit in the US. That's a contradiction. Perhaps sit idle and let Genesis do their thing, get the GV80 out first, before you make absolute declarations.
Old 03-13-20, 09:45 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Your argument is riveting..

You said it would be hard to make Genesis work at this point in the US, followed by A Genesis branded Palisade would be a huge hit in the US. That's a contradiction. Perhaps sit idle and let Genesis do their thing, get the GV80 out first, before you make absolute declarations.
Huge hit. Doesn’t mean it will help the brand take off. Make sense? Or no? If you are trying to just tell me I am wrong...fine. “I’m wrong”.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-13-20 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03-13-20, 03:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
YOU are not a typical consumer. Salespersons at 'mainstream dealers' as you call them, work at a 'hustle' level... salespersons at a luxury car dealer are more subtle but recognize if a customer knows what they're talking about and hold back on the velvet covered stiletto knife because a customer like you will see it coming and leave. But MOST customers have no clue how much they're being manipulated and taken. And luxury dealers know to appeal to ego, status, etc., to open a customer's wallet wider.
I think thats pretty much what I said...both approaches are designed to make as much money off of the different consumers as possible.

most, but not all.
Well, as a business one tailors their selling proposition to "most" people.

you are indeed very confident and while what you say is mostly the case, it's not universally true, or entirely correct, imo.
There is nothing that is "universally true", there are always exceptions but by and large I'm correct.

Exactly, and Tesla contradicts your sweeping statements. Even if Tesla's are not the traditional 'luxury' vehicle, they're very much a status purchase, and not inexpensive. And yet they don't even have dealers, just showrooms and stores, some of which are industrial warehouses. the times, they are a changin'...
Which is why I said if Genesis were going to take an entirely different approach like Tesla that would be one thing, but expecting luxury consumers to be shoehorned into the mainstream dealer selling system that exists at a Hyundai dealership isn't going to work.
Old 03-13-20, 05:34 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

People also have to stop trying to compare them to Lexus, they are not Lexus and they need to make their own path....whatever that is.....Lexus is only a success because of the success of Toyota.......A Genesis branded Palisade would be a huge hit (in the United States)
Genesis not doing the latter is already an example of how they're trying not to be Lexus.
Old 03-13-20, 05:42 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Genesis not doing the latter is already an example of how they're trying not to be Lexus.
I don’t agree. The best thing Hyundai has going for them are the two suvs. Create a Genesis trim or badge, and sell it at the Hyundai or KIA dealers....that offers some very good exposure.
Old 03-13-20, 05:50 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

I don’t agree.
What is there not to agree with? Rebadging an existing Toyota product as a Lexus is very much what Lexus is known for, and not in a good way. And you are suggesting Genesis to do the same. With Lexus axing their GS and maybe even the IS, they continue to dilute the brand even further into being upscale FWD Toyota trims.

Quick Reply: 2021 Genesis GV80