Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 Genesis GV80

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-20 | 12:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Nobody can derail a thread faster lol. Overtime?

Last edited by bitkahuna; 06-30-20 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-30-20 | 02:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Nobody can derail a thread faster lol. Overtime?

Motorola brought up the issue that people were working overtime to produce both the G80 and GV80. I simply replied that it can be hard on employees, and more likely to cause production-errors, no mater where those vehicles are made. And, all else equal, I also don't agree with the concept that Korean and Japanese workers can produce better products than we do, even working overtime. There is little difference, today, in the defect-levels between American-produced and Asian-produced vehicles. Indeed, some of the vehicles wth the best quality-reputations, like the Accord and Camry, are produced in the U.S.
Old 06-30-20 | 06:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Anyways, I'm glad to see the demand for the GV80...
Old 06-30-20 | 07:09 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Motorola brought up the issue that people were working overtime to produce both the G80 and GV80. I simply replied that it can be hard on employees, and more likely to cause production-errors, no mater where those vehicles are made. And, all else equal, I also don't agree with the concept that Korean and Japanese workers can produce better products than we do, even working overtime. There is little difference, today, in the defect-levels between American-produced and Asian-produced vehicles. Indeed, some of the vehicles wth the best quality-reputations, like the Accord and Camry, are produced in the U.S.
My point was simply that there is no correlation between overtime and reduction of quality, and I don't see the basis for your assumption. The Japanese stay overtime and work even without pay because they are obsessed with their work, and the Koreans are similar. That ideology doesn't exist here, where people automatically assume that overtime = forced extra work.

Old 06-30-20 | 07:44 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

I'm sure it'll do well, but I've tried and tried and I just don't like it. I find it very unattractive.
Old 06-30-20 | 08:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Its growing on me, but I still don't love it. Now the G80...that I love.
Old 06-30-20 | 08:59 PM
GS3Tek

I saw this rolling along, but it was back on May 1st.

Last edited by GS3Tek; 07-01-20 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-30-20 | 10:44 PM
Lead Lap

Definitely eat into the RX sales until Lexus release the next generation RX in 2022.
Old 06-30-20 | 11:15 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 703
Definitely eat into the RX sales until Lexus release the next generation RX in 2022.
Saw this on Youtube the other day from someone who claims to work at Toyota corporate, no idea if it holds any water, but still worth sharing if true. This is the first time I'm hearing about the RX being delayed by three years:

Video it's commenting under is trash, but lolworthy for its sheer ignorance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXnaSdO6cy
Old 07-01-20 | 08:04 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Motorola
Saw this on Youtube the other day from someone who claims to work at Toyota corporate, no idea if it holds any water, but still worth sharing if true. This is the first time I'm hearing about the RX being delayed by three years:

I'll take it with a grain of salt. But for giggles, If they want to take 3 years because they want to go RWD based then by all means take 3 years. RX500 here we come
Old 07-01-20 | 09:24 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I'll take it with a grain of salt. But for giggles, If they want to take 3 years because they want to go RWD based then by all means take 3 years. RX500 here we come
Every rumor related to Toyota has to be taken with a grain of salt these days, but I will be very happy if Toyota/Lexus is paying attention to the competition instead of resting on their laurels like some believe. The RX definitely needs something better than its pitiful excuse of a third row.

Also, just realized that video link was broken (click at your own discretion):

Guy also had a follow-up comment about Lexus moving upmarket with their future vehicles, someone ought to ask him about the status LF-1 (I don't have a YT account):

Old 07-01-20 | 09:31 AM
Hoovey689

Every rumor related to Toyota has to be taken with a grain of salt these days, but I will be very happy if Toyota/Lexus is paying attention to the competition instead of resting on their laurels like some believe. The RX definitely needs something better than its pitiful excuse of a third row.
The third row will be addressed. People need to understand the RX L was an afterthought. They did what they could for a short term solution. They will give more effort to the 5RX with a third row in mind. The current RX L was rushed to market simply to slow the bleeding from not having a three row crossover.
Old 07-01-20 | 09:48 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

People need to understand the RX L was an afterthought. They did what they could for a short term solution. They will give more effort to the 5RX with a third row in mind. The current RX L was rushed to market simply to slow the bleeding from not having a three row crossover.
I'm well aware of that, and having a usable third row is the bare minimum of what I expect from the new RX. Certainly, even if it was a short-term solution, it seems to have done the trick for customers. RX sales remain strong, so they can take their time with the new one.
Old 07-01-20 | 10:08 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I have seen the GV80 in person. Sat inside as well. It is very nice. No doubt a higher quality vehicle than the Lexus RX...however, it is also going to be starting at almost $5000 more than the RX. The RX has a V6 with 295hp while the GV will have 300hp from a I4TT. Lexus has the RHh to compare against the GV V6T.. There are quite a few comparative advantages for the RX namely its lower price, value, and built in North America. Truthfully, the RX compares with an Acura MDX, Lincoln Naturalist, Cadillac XT? GV80 is more of a X5 or Mercedes M class competitor. Rear 3rd row is bad in the GV

The RX is exactly the right luxury crossover for most of America.......LOTS of people prefer FWD....whereas the GV is not the right vehicle for most of America but the GV is a nicer vehicle, but the Lexus badge is better.

Next gen RX will be a monster hit....If there was a Genesis badged version of the Telluride, that is when Lexus would very worried.

(just my opinion on the matter)

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-01-20 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-01-20 | 10:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I'm well aware of that, and having a usable third row is the bare minimum of what I expect from the new RX. Certainly, even if it was a short-term solution, it seems to have done the trick for customers. RX sales remain strong, so they can take their time with the new one.
IMO, RX sales, particularly the poorly-done 3-row version, remain strong for one main reason..................

Quick Reply: 2021 Genesis GV80