Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 Genesis GV80

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-19 | 10:00 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i know that's what you want, but there's no way of knowing.

if it's
- technologically superior in some ways
- costs a whole bunch less
- rides and drives at least as well
- and remember it comes with free maintenance...

it will make a dent.
Do you think it is possible the Genesis brand could fail in the US market? Like Scion, Ford sedans, GM large sedans, I believe it is possible for Genesis to abandon the US market. The US car market is contracting, the established players are all now filling niches while Hyundai has yet to release a Genesis SUV in any sort of volume. I never see any critiscm of the Hyundai or Genesis brand from yourself, seeing that you are a Genesis owner, your critiscm of the brand is honestly more valuable than your praise. IMO.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-27-19 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-27-19 | 12:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

hyundai could close the genesis brand in the u.s., but i'd say it's unlikely, because it's not their primary business, and genesis is important for them for other parts of the world too, including their domestic market.

just like nissan has soldiered on with infiniti, honda with acura, etc.

i don't think hyundai would have gone to all the trouble to re-contract a whole separate line of genesis dealers if they had doubts at this point.

as far as criticism of hyundai/kia/genesis, i find their designs overall to be more appealing than most brands, their value mostly unmatched, but on genesis specifically, when i had a g80 loaner not long ago, i felt the interior was not really befitting its market position (felt a bit cheap), although functionally it was awesome. the new g70 looks like a home run, but since it's just now rolling out in the u.s., it remains to be seen how it does in a hotly contested segment already. as you say, they need suv's badly, and they know it. they will have to do something special with them, not just be me too.

i know you're critical of them in terms of sales volume, profitability, etc., but hyundai/kia/genesis combined sells a LOAD of vehicles in the u.s. and worldwide. they've had product mix issues, obviously the dealer fiasco with genesis, and huge competitive headwinds which i think frankly have come BECAUSE hyundai was beginning to threaten honda and toyota. that's the beauty of competition.

if hyunda/kia/genesis fail it will be their own fault ultimately for not reading the market correctly... there's often some luck involved as consumers can change their minds on things for any number of reasons.

as you say, the market overall is changing rapidly, i don't know about contracting, except for sedans obviously... but clearly ride services and eventually self-driving cars will change the market, and the world, profoundly. not sure any auto maker is really 'ready' for all that.

as you probably know, i'm not brand loyal, so if hyundai/kia/genesis falters or fail, oh well, plenty more awesome vehicles out there and coming soon before i'm ready for my next adventure.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 01-27-19 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-27-19 | 03:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
hyundai could close the genesis brand in the u.s., but i'd say it's unlikely, because it's not their primary business, and genesis is important for them for other parts of the world too, including their domestic market.

just like nissan has soldiered on with infiniti, honda with acura, etc.

i don't think hyundai would have gone to all the trouble to re-contract a whole separate line of genesis dealers if they had doubts at this point.
That generally was my first reaction, too. All the recent legal wrangling between the (former) Hyundai and Genesis shops as to who was (and was not) going to be allowed to handle the 2019 Genesis line-up would be absurd if Genesis decides to simply pull up shop and leave the U.S. I don't think that is going to happen......especially with new SUVs right on their doorstep.

on genesis specifically, when i had a g80 not long ago, i felt the interior was not really befitting its market position (felt a bit cheap), although functionally it was awesome.
When did you have a G80? Unless my memory is going, as I recall, you went from a JGC to a G90. Or were you just refering to a G80 test-drive?

Old 01-27-19 | 07:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
When did you have a G80? Unless my memory is going, as I recall, you went from a JGC to a G90. Or were you just refering to a G80 test-drive?
sorry, typo, meant when i had a g80 loaner... have edited my post now.
Old 03-12-19 | 10:00 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

more details... very interested.

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/03/20...-mercedes-gle/
Old 06-07-19 | 02:41 PM
Hoovey689

Default Genesis GV80 spotted a second time

Source
Old 06-07-19 | 02:44 PM
Hoovey689

Compare it to the start of the thread, this second spotting is so low. That better be an air suspension, otherwise no thanks.
Old 08-06-19 | 08:28 AM
Hoovey689

Default Genesis GV80 SUV spied again

Source
Old 08-06-19 | 10:42 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
It's interesting how it appears to have those eyebrow DRLs like numerous Hyundai SUVs. I would think they would want to avoid such similarities, at the risk of customers saying "Oh it's just a rebadged Hyundai."
Old 08-06-19 | 10:46 AM
Hoovey689

Looks like it benchmarked the Audi Q7 IMO
Old 08-06-19 | 01:51 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tex2670
It's interesting how it appears to have those eyebrow DRLs like numerous Hyundai SUVs. I would think they would want to avoid such similarities, at the risk of customers saying "Oh it's just a rebadged Hyundai."
Looks like a headlight cluster possibly... the concept had dual rows

Old 08-08-19 | 08:36 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pbm317
Looks like a headlight cluster possibly... the concept had dual rows

Thx. That would certainly distinguish it from any Hyundai.
Old 08-10-19 | 02:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Default Latest Genesis GV80 Spy Shots.

For those interested, Genesis still won't completely pull the wraps off the upcoming GV80 SUV, but here is the latest view on the spy-shots from just four days ago. I'm not the worlds biggest SUV fan, but I think the GV is going to transform the Genesis division and increase its sales significantly.

https://carbuzz.com/news/gorgeous-ge...ion-headlights

Gorgeous Genesis GV80 Spied With Production Headlights

AUG 7, 2019 BY MARTIN BIGG SPY SHOTS

The design will be inspired by the stunning GV80 Concept.

We got our first look at the new Genesis GV80 back in January, but development has evolved since then as our spies have spotted a new prototype undergoing testing sporting slim production LED headlights for the first time. This will be the automaker’s first luxury SUV designed to compete with the likes of the BMW X5, Audi Q7, and Mercedes GLE and has the potential to be a very strong seller for the Korean automaker.

Unfortunately, the rest of the SUV is still covered in thick layers camouflage, which makes it difficult to make out the design details. Judging from recent render designs, the final production model should look stunning. Why? Because the design will be heavily inspired by the gorgeous Genesis GV80 Concept that debuted at the 2017 New York Auto Show.

The production model is also expected to borrow the concept’s pentagonal crest grille and distinctive quad taillights. We still don’t have any photos of the interior, but the concept’s cabin featured a wide 22-inch OLED display and luxurious diamond-quilted leather seats.

You Might Also Like

American Cars That Are Not Very American At All

Supercars From Brands Nobody Has Heard Of

The production Genesis GV80 will share its platform with the G80 sedan, which means it will be available in both rear- and all-wheel-drive configurations. It will also likely share its sedan sibling’s engine options, so expect a choice of a 3.8-liter V6, a twin-turbo 3.3-liter six, and a 5.0-liter V8. In the range-topping G80 Ultimate trim, the 5.0-liter V8 produces 420 horsepower and 383 lb-ft of torque.

After the G80 goes on sale, Genesis is also planning to introduce a smaller GV70 SUV to the lineup to compete with small luxury SUVs such as the Audi Q5, BMW X3 and Mercedes GLC. The Genesis G80 is expected to debut later this year before going on sale in 2020. The Genesis G80 currently starts at $42,050, but the GV80 will be more expensive.

GALLERY

Old 12-02-19 | 06:26 PM
Hoovey689

Default 2021 Genesis GV80 partly exposed on Instagram

Source
Old 12-02-19 | 07:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Not bad. Looks like a perfect Lincoln Aviator competitor.

Interior in the link. Looks like a Mazda met a Range Rover.

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/12/20...#lg=1&slide=14

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-02-19 at 07:45 PM.

Quick Reply: 2021 Genesis GV80