Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 Genesis GV80

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-20 | 05:40 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

I'd say it fares pretty darn well. TTV6 isn't a mild hybrid setup like the Germans either.

Old 09-18-20 | 06:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Merely average fuel efficiency. Not good for a news for a new to market model with brand new engines.
Originally Posted by Motorola
I'd say it fares pretty darn well. TTV6 isn't a mild hybrid setup like the Germans either.
I agree wth Motorola. Not bad at all considering the size, bulk, AWD, and power of the GV80. None of those competitors do any better than the low-20s combined, either.

Old 09-18-20 | 06:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not bad at all considering the size, bulk, AWD, and power of the GV80. None of those competitors do any better than the low-20s combined, either.
Genesis will never move the needle without advance powertrains. The V6 could perform better for MPG. Lincoln even makes 25 more horses from a smaller motor. . Ideally needs a hybrid. If you compare the 20mpg, it’s the equivalent to the XT6 and the Aviator.....but at least Cadillac and Lincoln do not require extra cost premium fuel

The GV is a really nice vehicle in person....saw it in person one with a green interior and the other with a blue interior.
Old 09-18-20 | 06:14 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

The only mid-size crossover in this segment that gets really decent fuel economy without resorting to hybrids and electrification is the Volvo XC90, but Volvo's 2.0L turbo is really weak, and the XC90 uses a basic on-demand Haldex AWD system which isn't nearly as taxing as what's in the GV80 and Europeans.

I'm really impressed with the new Hyundai 2.5 turbo. Not only is it higher displacement than the 2.0 turbos that everyone else uses, but it's also far more powerful, at least on paper- all this while achieving slightly above-average fuel economy. Nice that it's both port and direct-injected too, which the Europeans don't even bother with.
Old 10-16-20 | 07:40 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Review from Motor Trend. In short, they love the interior and detailing but found the base engine overworked and they were disappointed in the ride.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/gene...s-cons-review/

2021 Genesis GV80 Pros and Cons Review: A Seriously Impressive Luxury SUV

The first SUV from Hyundai’s premium brand is a compelling 2021 SUV of the Year finalist.

Pro

• Original approach to luxury
  • Jaw-dropping interior
  • Incredible value

Con

• Harsh ride
  • Underpowered 2.5T
  • Unintuitive infotainment system
When we picked the Genesis G70 as our 2019 Car of the Year, we turned a lot of heads from Sindelfingen to Nagoya. "Is it really that good?" were the first whispers, followed by "What do you know about the SUV?"

Well, we now know a lot. The Genesis GV80 comes to the U.S. in two gas-burning configurations: a 300-hp 2.5-liter turbocharged inline-four and a 375-hp 3.5-liter twin-turbo V-6. The GV80 2.5T is available in rear- and all-wheel drive (AWD) and starts just under $50,000. The higher-performance 3.5T model commands $10,000 more and comes only with AWD. Both engines spin the wheels via an eight-speed automatic transmission electronically shifted by a lovely jewellike rotary dial mounted on the center console. Similar bejeweled touchpoints can be found throughout the GV80's stunning interior.

"Just look at that diamond-shaped pattern on the top of the map lights and on the door speaker grilles," Buyer's Guide director Zach Gale said. "Another detail, from previous Genesis sedans, are the silver beveled edges everywhere around the cupholders, window switches, and volume and tuning *****."

The love Genesis designers imbued on the GV80 drew appreciative murmurs from our judges.

"This shows Genesis is serious about being a luxury automaker," senior features editor Jonny Lieberman said. "I'm loving the giant oval steering wheel. It reminds me of a Citroën SM."

Features editor Christian Seabaugh noted the interior makes a great first impression. "Quilted tan leather with blue piping, blue and tan leather door cards, and real wood trim—you can tell Genesis really sweated the small stuff with the GV80," he said. "I know features like the smart posture seat, which takes your height and inseam measurements to dial in the seating position, feel gimmicky, but luxury is about the little things in life that make you feel good, and man does that make me happy."

MotorTrend en Español's Miguel Cortina was also a fan of the GV80's interior styling: "The cabin is chic and premium. It's also not trying to copy anyone; it has its own identity, from the HVAC controls to the modern color combinations. Everything seems elegant."

Originality, creativity, and playfulness were on display everywhere you look, from the sweep of the needles on the "3-D" digital gauges to the Sounds of Nature audio settings on the 14.5-inch infotainment screen. Not every bell and whistle was pitch perfect—judges took issue with the quirky touchpad/scroll wheel controller, the occasionally wonky lane keep assist, and other unintuitive electronics. But even so, no facet of the GV80 felt unconsidered.

"The second-row seats are just as nice as those up front," editor-in-chief Mark Rechtin said. "The diamond-pattern crosshatching is more than a pattern; it's actual indentations. And the rear seats fold fully flat, creating a huge cargo area. This is an immensely practical vehicle."

The GV80's smart packaging, thoughtful design, and fanatical attention to detail blew us away in the parking lot. The Lexicon stereo is clear and pure across all types of music. On the road, our judges favored the "delicious snarl" of the 3.5T, despite its jolting stop-start system, over the underpowered and overworked 2.5T. The GV80 really impressed us, but there was one huge miss: the ride.

"On a mainstream subcompact, it'd just be considered bad," Seabaugh said. "On a $72,000 luxury SUV, it's atrocious."

Features editor Scott Evans identified the main issue: "Even in Comfort mode, it rides like other cars' Sport mode. You can be sporty and still ride well—and it does handle very well. But I feel everything in the road. This doesn't feel like a luxury car ride."

Even so, one thing's clear: the young brand's first attempt is stronger than those from many luxury veterans. Resume whispering.
Old 10-16-20 | 10:11 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

The description of the ride quality is so bad, it makes me wonder if the shipping spacers were never removed from their tester. I can't imagine Genesis releasing a mainstream SUV with a suspension dramatically stiffer than their G70 sport sedan.
Old 10-16-20 | 10:21 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah the ride quality is a huge disappointment. Pretty important in a luxury vehicle...
Old 10-16-20 | 01:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

they should never have put 22's on the thing.

and no air ride option... but maybe they won't do that until they have it on the g90 and potentially a gv90.
Old 10-16-20 | 01:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

i find the exterior to be pretty gaudy. if i'm going to spend that kind of money i'd like get an mb gle.
Old 10-16-20 | 04:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
they should never have put 22's on the thing.
I think you are starting to come around, bit. I've said that for several years.....that a lot of the wagon-wheels and rubber-band tires they use today are ridiculous.

And, as far as the air-suspension goes, if they use tires/wheels and a regular suspension that actually have some give on impacts, they probably won't need the air-shocks at all.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-16-20 at 04:56 PM.
Old 10-16-20 | 05:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I think you are starting to come around, bit. I've said that for several years.....that a lot of the wagon-wheels and rubber-band tires they use today are ridiculous.

And, as far as the air-suspension goes, if they use tires/wheels and a regular suspension that actually have some give on impacts, they probably won't need the air-shocks at all.
Air suspension would do wonders....but it would make the car too expensive.....why not a Lexus style 10 speed or 400+ HP....but price will just go up and up. What other cars at that price have air in an SUV? Air suspension is very very expensive

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-16-20 at 05:43 PM.
Old 10-16-20 | 05:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Air suspension would do wonders....but it would make the car too expensive.....
Exactly. Use a standard suspension/wheels/tires that have some give, and you won't need the air suspension to start with.
Old 10-16-20 | 06:01 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Exactly. Use a standard suspension/wheels/tires that have some give, and you won't need the air suspension to start with.
The standard wheels on the GV80 are 20's. The 22's are only on the loaded Prestige trim, which is what MT was testing.
Old 10-16-20 | 06:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Motorola
The standard wheels on the GV80 are 20's. The 22's are only on the loaded Prestige trim, which is what MT was testing.

Can't comment on the 20s because I haven't sampled them, but I have yet to sample anything else with 20s that I thought was comfortable, particularly without an air suspension. Of course, wheel diameter alone is not necessarily a culprit, if the tire itself has enough sidewall to cushion things. The problem is that, though not necessarily always (there are exceptions) in general, the larger the wheel, the lower-profile the tire.
Old 10-17-20 | 09:41 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Can't comment on the 20s because I haven't sampled them, but I have yet to sample anything else with 20s that I thought was comfortable, particularly without an air suspension. Of course, wheel diameter alone is not necessarily a culprit, if the tire itself has enough sidewall to cushion things. The problem is that, though not necessarily always (there are exceptions) in general, the larger the wheel, the lower-profile the tire.
My Pacifica has 20s and rides great. I had an identical Pacifica on 18s as a rental in Florida and I didnt notice any difference in the ride at all.

The size of the wheels doesnt matter, what matters is what the height of the sidewall is. On a lot of newer cars with 20s, especially SUVs they have a lot of meat on the sidewall still and they ride great.

Quick Reply: 2021 Genesis GV80