Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 Genesis GV80

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-20 | 10:26 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
CL Folding 25,000

Originally Posted by pbm317
They still have the Bentley. They traded a G90 for the GV80.
Oh yes, correct. Thanks.

Quick Google search answered my own question too. Luc Donckerwolke formally of Bentley. Very interesting.
Old 12-08-20 | 12:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

dealership just got another and texted me at 11. it's 4 now and they just texted me again to say it's sold.
Old 12-08-20 | 12:56 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Right now it's a similar story to Telluride and Palisade: massive dealer scalping up to $10,000 yet still flying off lots. The price inflation actually be worse because the available supply will always be much lower than a Telluride or Palisade.
Old 12-08-20 | 01:04 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

So does this new found money making machine mean they`ll finally give in and actually expand the Genesis brand and overlook their valid concerns of how Hyundai is over-controlling their business practices?
Old 12-08-20 | 01:06 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Hyundai doesn't get a dime from the markups. It all goes to the independent dealerships.
Old 12-08-20 | 01:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by coolsaber
So does this new found money making machine mean they`ll finally give in and actually expand the Genesis brand and overlook their valid concerns of how Hyundai is over-controlling their business practices?
Genesis sales are like 15K a year. They have no dealers. In contrast, Acura sold 56K in their first year on the market and they sold them at 150 dealers.

Hyundai is having a hard time selling Genesis franchises

Nonetheless, this new GV is a tremendous effort

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-08-20 at 03:12 PM.
Old 12-08-20 | 03:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
dealership just got another and texted me at 11. it's 4 now and they just texted me again to say it's sold.
Yep......coming into the D.C. area now, too. I might go out and look at one Thursday or Saturday, if they aren't all sold by then.
Old 12-08-20 | 07:14 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Motorola
Hyundai doesn't get a dime from the markups. It all goes to the independent dealerships.
Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Genesis sales are like 15K a year. They have no dealers. In contrast, Acura sold 56K in their first year on the market and they sold them at 150 dealers.

Hyundai is having a hard time selling Genesis franchises

Nonetheless, this new GV is a tremendous effort
The publicly available issue from dealers was that Hyundai was being too aggressive in their allocation protocols (one telluride and 10 slow seller truckloads) and performance incentives (only if you built new showrooms). I would assume with their Cuv lineup doing amazing a second look from dealers may be warranted.
Old 12-10-20 | 12:50 PM
Lend0
Intermediate

Wow that is one sharp vehicle!
Old 12-10-20 | 05:04 PM
timmy0tool

i am the only one that wants to put an emblem in the center of the grille? maybe at least a wreath for the holidays? otherwise this vehicle is poised to sell very well for the company.

i didn't read any of the previous posts but are the dealerships marking them high above MSRP (as they do with any high demand vehicle: civic type r, raptor, etc.)?
Old 12-10-20 | 05:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, my local Genesis dealership is frustrating, too. Last night and this morning, they had almost a dozen GV80s, ranging from $60K to $73K, on their inventory web-site, and NOT marked as "In-Transit"....which would mean that they are not there yet, but ordered and on the way. So, I assumed at least a couple would be in stock, and went out to look at one for at least a static-review. Ha. I get there, and then they tell me they have only one, and it was out on the road, with a camera-crew, being filmed for a promotion-review. The others, despite the lack of proper labeling on the web-site indicating so, were (you guessed it) still on the way from the factory.

Well, at least I didn't waste the trip. I waited a little while for the GV80 celebrity-vehicle to return, and, while waiting, checked out some other new Hyundais and Genesis products....particularly the Hyundai Venue, which I think, for a FWD product, will be an excellent vehicle for my brother's GF when her arm heals up. It was a small, dull, somewhat boring vehicle, with absolutely no personality at all compared to the generally similar and slightly larger-platform Kia Soul. But, despite a dull, simple, cheap-looking interior, its assembly quality was excellent, it was a thoroughly small but practical vehicle inside and out, and the materials used, though hard-surfaced and dull-looking, felt bank-vault-solid by today's standards, as did the door-closings. That, in contrast to the newest Hyundai Sonata, which, although funky-looking inside and out, clearly showed major cost-cutting on material solidness. The Venue is not only Hyundai's cheapest American-market product (starting between 18-19K), but also, to my senses, is the most solidly-built. They had several Venues on the lot that listed below 20K....and the ones wth the slightly nicer interiors were still only in the low 20s.

Back to the GV80...after it didn't get back for about an hour or so, I said the heck with it, stopped and picked up lunch (I don't eat-in at restaurants any more because of the pandemic, but, if I like their food, will sometimes do a take-out), and went home and ate. I've got several requests to do a GV-80 review...but it looks like I might have to make an appointment like bitkahuna did.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-10-20 at 05:35 PM.
Old 12-10-20 | 05:51 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
i didn't read any of the previous posts but are the dealerships marking them high above MSRP (as they do with any high demand vehicle: civic type r, raptor, etc.)?
Yes, up to $10K in price inflation. Granted, they're still in the middle of being rolled out so supply is extremely low. We'll have to wait another month once the rollout is finished to see if the markups still stick like the Telluride and Palisade.
Old 12-11-20 | 07:27 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
I don't know what my local dealer is charging (they're sold before i even got that far ) but i expect they're selling at msrp or maybe with some b.s. 'upsells' like protectants.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yeah, my local Genesis dealership is frustrating, too.
I don't consider mine frustrating.

looks like I might have to make an appointment like bitkahuna did.
I didn't make an appointment, and even if i had it wouldn't have mattered as the one i did see was sold before i got there.
Old 12-11-20 | 07:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I don't consider mine frustrating.
At one point they were ALL frustrating....remember the mess getting the 2019 models in, when Hyundai Corporate couldn't decide which dealers were going to get Genesis franchises or not that year?

I didn't make an appointment, and even if i had it wouldn't have mattered as the one i did see was sold before i got there.
Not surprising. Hot new vehicles that are being hyped in the auto-press often don't last on the lot very long, even with mark-ups. I don't believe, though, in paying extra just to be the first on the block to own one.

I can just imagine what supply/demand for the GV70 is going to be like....and it's not going to cost 60-75K (or more) like the GV80.
Old 12-11-20 | 02:36 PM
jer
Instructor

Our local Genesis dealer showing 1 GV80, and since they are close did a swing-by. Went in, asked about a GV80, got a kind of blank stare, like 'what is that?'. They are currently combined with a Hyundai dealership so it should be interesting how things pan out in the near future.

Quick Reply: 2021 Genesis GV80