Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus ES350 hits a A+ in ride and cabin noise in A on A

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-19, 09:20 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Yes, I 100% agree. I think the G80 does a nicer job with road noise than the ES, but the ES with its base-trim wheels is still a lot quieter than my IS. My IS was a touch quieter with the stock tires, too, before I swapped to the BFGoodrich tires it's currently wearing. Honestly I think road noise was better-controlled in my old Camry than it is in my IS. It's a shame, because it's quiet on a smooth road. As soon as you hit bad pavement it gets noticeably louder. Not to say it's loud. You can still have a conversation, but to your point, the road noise makes a disproportionate difference in overall cabin noise levels. That said, with the right tires I think their cars are quiet. The 2018 IS 350 I sampled a few months ago, with its OE tires, seemed to be quieter than mine - in fact that was my wife's first comment about it. So perhaps they're working on improving it.
That wouldn't surprise me. My 2019 GS is much quieter than my 2015 GS was.
Old 04-02-19, 11:33 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

There must be a large variation in ES350 production since different sources have very different views on ride and noise. I knew from this forum that some owners complained about wind noise from the driver's side window so when I test drove their demo, I specifically listened for this and there was none. Before I took delivery of my car I took it out on the Interstate and confirmed essentially no wind noise at 80 mph and very little road noise. My checks verified Alex on Autos results. MMarshall (who's views I respect), however, had a different experience and apparently so did the Motor Trend testers.

My car was built in Kentucky, has the 45 series 18" tires, and they are Bridgestones so it should be the loudest and roughest riding non-F sport version. Before I settled on the ES, I drove a lot of cars including a 2018 LS500 and a Buick LaCrosse. The ES was as quiet inside as any I drove except the Kia K900 and even that was close. As far as ride, it is not perfect over rough surfaces at low speed, but it is really good over large bumps and totally smooth at highway speed. As far as Alex's ratings, I would give the ES an A+ on noise, an A on ride, and a B+ on handling.
Old 04-03-19, 05:23 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
There must be a large variation in ES350 production since different sources have very different views on ride and noise. I knew from this forum that some owners complained about wind noise from the driver's side window so when I test drove their demo, I specifically listened for this and there was none. Before I took delivery of my car I took it out on the Interstate and confirmed essentially no wind noise at 80 mph and very little road noise. My checks verified Alex on Autos results. MMarshall (who's views I respect), however, had a different experience and apparently so did the Motor Trend testers.

My car was built in Kentucky, has the 45 series 18" tires, and they are Bridgestones so it should be the loudest and roughest riding non-F sport version. Before I settled on the ES, I drove a lot of cars including a 2018 LS500 and a Buick LaCrosse. The ES was as quiet inside as any I drove except the Kia K900 and even that was close. As far as ride, it is not perfect over rough surfaces at low speed, but it is really good over large bumps and totally smooth at highway speed. As far as Alex's ratings, I would give the ES an A+ on noise, an A on ride, and a B+ on handling.
The base ES does not have laminated side windows and the top end ES comes with noise reducing wheels. I am sure it gets somewhat quieter as the trim increases. F sport does not have laminated windows. Glad you gave the new ES a A+ on noise.
Old 04-03-19, 07:33 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by grabber2
Does it mean the ES is the quietest one in its class or it is as quiet as the LS?
What’s your experience been like with your XC90? Do you like it and have you had software problems?
Old 04-03-19, 07:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The base ES does not have laminated side windows and the top end ES comes with noise reducing wheels. I am sure it gets somewhat quieter as the trim increases. F sport does not have laminated windows.
Sport-oriented vehicles, while not necessarily loud, generally put less emphasis on ride comfort and sound insulation, and more on quicker responses to the throttle, steering, and brakes.
Old 04-03-19, 07:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,769 Likes on 1,977 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I own a 18" wheel Lacrosse. The 45-series ES is not in the same ballpark.....the 55-series Avalon is close.

The ES does, however, have some advantages on the Lacrosse, primarily in overall build quality.
I totally disagree. I drove a 18" wheel'ed Lacrosse and found them very similar. I didn't find the wheel diameter had an impact in noise, just ride quality.

At one time, they did. Cost-cutting ate up some of the insulation in the wheel wells...except on the super-quiet LS.
Incorrect. I've owned the LS since 1998. Road noise has always been an area where Lexus has stayed behind the competition. Its not an issue really withe good tires.

Well...agreed...and that was my point. That's why I said there is a significant difference between the 45s and 55s.
You misunderstand. The issue with noise isn't size, its the make and model of the tire.

Here's what Motor Trend has to say, BTW.
I care about what I have to say.
Old 04-03-19, 07:56 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Sport-oriented vehicles, while not necessarily loud, generally put less emphasis on ride comfort and sound insulation, and more on quicker responses to the throttle, steering, and brakes.
We are talking about the luxury branded ES here. Not sport-oriented models. Alex on Autos gave the F sport an A+ . There is also regular glass, laminated and laminated acoustic. They don’t put laminated glass for noise reason, safety is also a reason. Most people on here agree the ES is pretty quiet.
Old 04-03-19, 08:04 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 407 Likes on 276 Posts

Just got a 2019 ES as a loaner and will be taking it on a highway cruise soon. So far I'm pretty impressed with around-town driving. Interior is well laid-out and seemingly good quality.
Old 04-03-19, 08:11 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The base ES does not have laminated side windows and the top end ES comes with noise reducing wheels. I am sure it gets somewhat quieter as the trim increases. F sport does not have laminated windows. Glad you gave the new ES a A+ on noise.
Mine is a UL and has laminated windows and the noise reducing wheels, so maybe that's why it is quieter than some others. The demo I drove, however, was quiet and it was a base model.
Old 04-03-19, 08:22 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Mine is a UL and has laminated windows and the noise reducing wheels, so maybe that's why it is quieter than some others. The demo I drove, however, was quiet and it was a base model.
Thanks. This seems to be the consensus among most reviews and owners
Old 04-03-19, 04:30 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Benoit
Still no ES in the european market though.
I think the ES is available in UK & Eastern European countries like Russia & Ukraine.......
Old 04-03-19, 04:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
I think the ES is available in UK & Eastern European countries like Russia & Ukraine.......
On the Lexus UK website, though, it seems only available in hybrid form, with or without the F-Sport package.
Old 04-03-19, 11:14 PM
oldcajun
Racer

On the Lexus UK website, though, it seems only available in hybrid form, with or without the F-Sport package.
Most of the European Lexus sales are hybrids because of their fuel costs. The ES300h competes with the diesel powered executive sedans over there. Performance and fuel economy should be similar without the diesel emissions issue. My rental on my last trip to the UK was a Vauxhal (Buick Regal) hatchback with a diesel. It was fine on the Motorway, but was rough and noisy around town. I would have much prefered an ES300h had it been available.
Old 04-04-19, 03:31 AM
southernx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Japanese market versions of the 2019 Lexus ES will be available with digital cameras that replace conventional exterior mirrors. The feature will only be available in Japan, which legalized camera mirrors in 2016, due to regulatory issues in other countries.

The "Digital Outer Mirror" system, which Lexus claims is a world first on a production car, shows feeds from two exterior cameras on a pair of 5.0-inch screens mounted at the base of the front pillars. The cameras automatically shift their focus to the appropriate area when the driver activates their turn signals or puts the car in reverse. The camera pods are also shaped to resist the accumulation of raindrops, according to Lexus.

Because the camera pods are smaller than conventional mirrors, Lexus claims they will allow greater outward visibility, as well as reduce wind noise. Other automakers have claimed camera pods can cut down on aerodynamic drag compared to mirrors, although the Toyota luxury brand did not specifically mention that in its release.

Lexus ES 350 Digital Mirrors Japan
Old 04-04-19, 06:35 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There must be a large variation in ES350 production since different sources have very different views on ride and noise.
I would say the variation wouln't be in the manufacturing of the vehicle, but more related to road surface. It's Highly unlikely that any of the automotive press reviews ran these cars down the exact same road surface for testing. The surface of the road is much more indicative of road noise intrusion than manufacturing tolerances or tire selection. The point is, there needs to be an apples to apples comparison.

Quick Reply: Lexus ES350 hits a A+ in ride and cabin noise in A on A