Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which car would u buy.
RX-8 Rotary rulesz
43.00%
350-Z, love the VQ
35.00%
NONE, they both suck more than that new movie with J-lo and Ben
22.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

350z or this? (RX-8)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-03, 04:23 AM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by RNM GS3
The 350Z is nice but the interior is very cheap. The RX-8 has a very cool interior but the exterior is a little weird. I would also recommend u to get a G35c. The car looks great inside and out, its fast, and handles great. It looks incredible with a staggered set of 19s.
I've seen one G35C with 20x9 in the front & 20x10.5 in the back
Old 08-02-03, 04:29 AM
legendary
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

350z/G35c

not really digging the RX right now

looks like a mix between a Saturn coupe, Matrix and S2000
Old 08-02-03, 03:33 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by DrRick
i happened to park beside one (RX-8) last night at the club. way smaller than my car. the back seat is an absolute joke. and the styling just isnt doing anything for me right now. perhaps it will grow on me. but right now i would, maybe, go with the G........

Doc
Maybe it's funny to you, but in the 4/03 issue of C&D, the RX-8's rear seat was rated far above the G35c's in both space and comfort.

Anyway, Here's my opinion: I would take the RX-8 over the G35c in a heartbeat. the G35c just looks plain fat next to an RX-8. Not to mention that the RX-8 will outhandle a G35c and beat it in braking as well. I also love the 4-seat configuration of the RX-8; that tunnel running through the cabin is awesome.

Plus, the transmission in the RX-8 is said to be great as well, much better than the Nissan 6-speed whose operation has been likened to "stirring a box of rocks."

Not to mention the interior of the RX-8 kicks ***, a total departure from the boring, ugly, and thoughtless interior that occupies the G35c (actually, all Nissan interiors suck these days). The RX-8 exterior, as I menioned before, is great. The sheetmetal is tight and gives the RX-8 a true sporting appearance. The G35c looks really stocky and uninspiring by comparison. Nissan can't really design exteriors these days either, evidenced not only by the G35, but also the Maxima, Altima, Sentra, etc. But people are buying them in droves, so who's to say. . .

Oh, a fully-loaded RX-8 will cost a good bit less than a fully-loaded G35, too.

Last edited by SecPole14; 08-02-03 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-02-03, 07:48 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

I'd get the G35 coupe if I were looking for something closer to a "pure" sports car. Love the way it looks from the outside, great engine and tranny, and even fully loaded it's priced well.
Old 08-03-03, 01:39 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by wantAnewLex
Maybe it's funny to you, but in the 4/03 issue of C&D, the RX-8's rear seat was rated far above the G35c's in both space and comfort.

Anyway, Here's my opinion: I would take the RX-8 over the G35c in a heartbeat. the G35c just looks plain fat next to an RX-8. Not to mention that the RX-8 will outhandle a G35c and beat it in braking as well. I also love the 4-seat configuration of the RX-8; that tunnel running through the cabin is awesome.

Plus, the transmission in the RX-8 is said to be great as well, much better than the Nissan 6-speed whose operation has been likened to "stirring a box of rocks."

Not to mention the interior of the RX-8 kicks ***, a total departure from the boring, ugly, and thoughtless interior that occupies the G35c (actually, all Nissan interiors suck these days). The RX-8 exterior, as I menioned before, is great. The sheetmetal is tight and gives the RX-8 a true sporting appearance. The G35c looks really stocky and uninspiring by comparison. Nissan can't really design exteriors these days either, evidenced not only by the G35, but also the Maxima, Altima, Sentra, etc. But people are buying them in droves, so who's to say. . .

Oh, a fully-loaded RX-8 will cost a good bit less than a fully-loaded G35, too.
ok, sir. put the pom-poms down. lets really see what your beloved car and driver said. ok???

1) "seats rated far above the G35's in both space and comfort"
well if you look at the article, the author says that the G35 has the most leg room. but it loses points with the headroom. and then it says the that the 8's headroom was only "adequate". no mention of comfort......

2) "Not to mention that the RX-8 will outhandle a G35c and beat it in braking as well."
Now thats interesting. if a car outhandles and outbrakes another car, you would expect it to be faster around something, like say, a racetrack. well guess what, the RX-8 is the slowest. i wonder why? maybe because the engine is anemic? it takes a 8000 rpm clutch drop to get within half a second of the G. that is horrible. but i guess that smooth transmission makes up for it, right? cool

3) Not to mention the interior of the RX-8 kicks ***, a total departure from the boring, ugly, and thoughtless interior that occupies the G35c (actually, all Nissan interiors suck these days). The RX-8 exterior, as I menioned before, is great. The sheetmetal is tight and gives the RX-8 a true sporting appearance. The G35c looks really stocky and uninspiring by comparison. Nissan can't really design exteriors these days either, evidenced not only by the G35, but also the Maxima, Altima, Sentra, etc. But people are buying them in droves, so who's to say. .

Now you get your own opinion. but according to the beloved C&D, you are way wrong. just an example of what they said about the styling and interior.......

We can't imagine any car lover being unaffected by the G35's classic coupe profile. Its voluptuously tapered cab, perfectly proportioned atop its muscular lower body, defines the coupe essence. We never tired of looking at it, and judging by the comments of passersby, neither did anyone else.
Inside, the G35 is equally attractive, with the most luxurious appointments. Not only does the G coupe employ richer-looking materials than the two others, but the level of luxury and convenience features in this $37,465, fully loaded example was easily the most lavish. Coupled with a comfortable seat and sufficient adjustments to produce a perfect driving position, the G was the unanimous choice as the long-distance cruiser.

pretty cool huh? i guess one person's fat is another magazines muscular. but dont worry about it. your view carries much more weight than theirs. so basically, the reason that the 8 won the comparo is b/c it weighed less. but what car wont weigh less when it doesnt have the amenities, Nav, and the ***** in the engine of the other cars its compared against. think what you want, but for the money, the RX-8 isnt even in the same league as the coupe. 7.5 sec time on the 5 - 60mph test. thats slower than a chevy malibu, i think.

4) Oh, a fully-loaded RX-8 will cost a good bit less than a fully-loaded G35, too.
Last one, i promise. do you think that theirs a reason why it costs less, fully loaded vs fully loaded? maybe one is quite as loaded as the other. hmmmmmmmmmm..........

Doc

Last edited by DrRick; 08-03-03 at 01:45 AM.
Old 08-03-03, 06:49 AM
legendary
Racer

i think at first glance the g35c was always sexy.
The 350z took a *little* longer to grow on me as I always had a love for the Z32 TT...still do. Interior wise, I don't care. A sports car, I don't need no stinking amenities. Hell, I don't NEED air. I want to feel the power, and ride out. Enjoy the music of the engine, exhaust, the smell of my 285's ripping up the asphalt....sniiiiiiiiiiffff.....AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! What a beautiful experience.
If I want luxury, I will hop in the Lexus. That's why it is good to have more than one car. Each one serves its purpose. SUV for hauling people and other stuff..boats, bikes, lumber. Sports Car for hauling ****. Luxury car for hauling you and the pretty ladies [or gents] to be p.c. here.

I agree, the Altima, new Maxima look eck, but you cannot take the styling away of the Z and G. IF I were to buy a new car, other than a Lexus, it would be one of those two. When I finished it you would see why.
Old 08-03-03, 06:56 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Mischievious GS
i know it's not on your list, but if i were to get a 350z...i'd opt for the G35 Coupe.

I was about to say the exact same thing.
Old 08-03-03, 06:12 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by DrRick
ok, sir. put the pom-poms down. lets really see what your beloved car and driver said. ok???

1) "seats rated far above the G35's in both space and comfort"
well if you look at the article, the author says that the G35 has the most leg room. but it loses points with the headroom. and then it says the that the 8's headroom was only "adequate". no mention of comfort......

2) "Not to mention that the RX-8 will outhandle a G35c and beat it in braking as well."
Now thats interesting. if a car outhandles and outbrakes another car, you would expect it to be faster around something, like say, a racetrack. well guess what, the RX-8 is the slowest. i wonder why? maybe because the engine is anemic? it takes a 8000 rpm clutch drop to get within half a second of the G. that is horrible. but i guess that smooth transmission makes up for it, right? cool

3) Not to mention the interior of the RX-8 kicks ***, a total departure from the boring, ugly, and thoughtless interior that occupies the G35c (actually, all Nissan interiors suck these days). The RX-8 exterior, as I menioned before, is great. The sheetmetal is tight and gives the RX-8 a true sporting appearance. The G35c looks really stocky and uninspiring by comparison. Nissan can't really design exteriors these days either, evidenced not only by the G35, but also the Maxima, Altima, Sentra, etc. But people are buying them in droves, so who's to say. .

Now you get your own opinion. but according to the beloved C&D, you are way wrong. just an example of what they said about the styling and interior.......

We can't imagine any car lover being unaffected by the G35's classic coupe profile. Its voluptuously tapered cab, perfectly proportioned atop its muscular lower body, defines the coupe essence. We never tired of looking at it, and judging by the comments of passersby, neither did anyone else.
Inside, the G35 is equally attractive, with the most luxurious appointments. Not only does the G coupe employ richer-looking materials than the two others, but the level of luxury and convenience features in this $37,465, fully loaded example was easily the most lavish. Coupled with a comfortable seat and sufficient adjustments to produce a perfect driving position, the G was the unanimous choice as the long-distance cruiser.

pretty cool huh? i guess one person's fat is another magazines muscular. but dont worry about it. your view carries much more weight than theirs. so basically, the reason that the 8 won the comparo is b/c it weighed less. but what car wont weigh less when it doesnt have the amenities, Nav, and the ***** in the engine of the other cars its compared against. think what you want, but for the money, the RX-8 isnt even in the same league as the coupe. 7.5 sec time on the 5 - 60mph test. thats slower than a chevy malibu, i think.

4) Oh, a fully-loaded RX-8 will cost a good bit less than a fully-loaded G35, too.
Last one, i promise. do you think that theirs a reason why it costs less, fully loaded vs fully loaded? maybe one is quite as loaded as the other. hmmmmmmmmmm..........

Doc
Chill, dude. I wasn't hating on you or your ride. I meant no disrespect. It's just that as far as "sport" is concerned, the RX-8 wins (IMHO). It's definetly not luxurious and refined in the way the G35 is. If I had $30K to spend on a sports car, I would get the RX-8. If I had $40K to spend, I would get a G35c. As much as I hate on the G35, I think I could get past the sorry console and slightly chunky look. As long as it's the right color.
Old 08-04-03, 12:25 AM
Aznteazer
Lexus Test Driver

i dont think the body of the rx-8 will ever grow on me. it looks too bulky or something......and the flares kinda remind me of the Toyota MRS
yea......but i love the g35C
Old 08-04-03, 11:38 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rx-8 can look very nice or very bad depending from what angle you are looking at it.
I have not gone head to head with an rx-8 but I got taken down by a G35c/350Z (before my mods) but I imagine it can still take my car down.

I say G35coupe.
Old 08-04-03, 11:50 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

I just ordered a G35 coupe and frankly, I have never even taken neither RX-8 nor 350Z into consideration, it's a no brainer IMO. The interior of all 3 left a lot to be desired, but it's not a Lexus, and you get what you paid for.
Old 08-04-03, 11:52 AM
dgtbullet
Pole Position

I agree the G35 is very nice. Def. on my top 5 list. Also get reputable service. Its a great choice, but frankly too many of my firneds have one and the design has kinda gotten me bored of late. Don't get me wrong, its beurtiful and a great alternative to the GS. Kinda like the GS little bro..
Old 08-04-03, 06:41 PM
NRG
Lead Lap

i didnt read the whole tread.
i think i would take the Skyline R35 GT (infinite G35)
or wait for the GTR model in about 2 years hehe.
the 350z is nice, the rx8 is nice too, too bad its non-turbo
Old 08-04-03, 06:51 PM
legendary
Racer

seen two today.....

one driving

one @ dealership

My vote still stands

Nismo in this case

Z or G
Old 08-05-03, 01:55 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I drove G, Z and the RX. While the dealers hands are still probably shaking, the RX was the most fun ride out of all 3. Besides, Nissan interiours are extrimely poorly made. Everyone knows that; even the Nissan owners. However, I feel that they are in a denial stage

Quick Reply: 350z or this? (RX-8)