Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Genesis Dealer Experience

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-19, 10:47 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by Kense
It's not the lower model stinger people were having trouble test driving.
That's not a valid excuse. To those who know cars or the Stinger in general, the 2.0 vs the GT is a "big deal" but to the average person & at the end of the day, it's a trim level or an option package. It's like the dealer saying no sorry you can't test drive the one with 19" wheels, but you can drive the one with 17s. It doesn't make sense, especially if you have no interest in the one with 17s. I've never been denied a test drive but I've always driven the exact car I'd be leaving with and wouldn't accept otherwise. It's petty. We're not talking bespoke Rolls-Royces or Bentleys. We're talking mainstream mass-market vehicles, and this goes for Kia, Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, etc. It's a silly dealer practice.
Old 01-29-19, 10:49 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I don't see why that makes it ok.

What if you are cross-shopping the Genesis with 2, 3 or 4 other cars? NFW 5 dealers are all doing credit checks on me--not until I decide that is the car I am buying, and that is the dealer I'm buying from. It's a test drive, FFS. License, proof of insurance, and I'll let them put a hold on my credit card, if they must. That's it.
Credit bureaus are aware of situations like this. You may see a ding for one of the credit checks, but you are not penalized for all of them (as long as they all occur within a certain time window) as they're aware most people cross-shop at multiple dealers when buying a vehicle and it's most likely that each dealership will run a credit check. Test drive and cross-shop to your heart's desire
Old 01-29-19, 11:03 AM
AZFTW
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by signdetres
Credit bureaus are aware of situations like this. You may see a ding for one of the credit checks, but you are not penalized for all of them (as long as they all occur within a certain time window) as they're aware most people cross-shop at multiple dealers when buying a vehicle and it's most likely that each dealership will run a credit check. Test drive and cross-shop to your heart's desire
Interesting - when I did a mortgage re-fi it was the same thing. I had a 3 week window to get as many quotes as possible. I wasn't aware it applied to cars too. Good info!
Old 01-29-19, 11:19 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
It doesn't make it ok.

My point was: Genesis isn't the only brand capable of making these kinds of mistakes.
Oh yes, there are dealers that are just bad at what they do across all brands.

Old 02-02-19, 12:29 PM
AZFTW
Driver School Candidate

In case anyone was wondering I was able to test drive the G70. It's a very impressive car and really fast. Feels as fast as the Infiniti Q50 Red Sport.

The best deal I could work with the dealer is 36 months / 10k miles a year / $655 with nothing out of pocket. This is for the 3.3T Advanced.
Old 02-02-19, 01:04 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

you should post this in the genesis forums:

https://genesisowners.com/
Old 02-02-19, 10:07 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by AZFTW
In case anyone was wondering I was able to test drive the G70. It's a very impressive car and really fast. Feels as fast as the Infiniti Q50 Red Sport.

The best deal I could work with the dealer is 36 months / 10k miles a year / $655 with nothing out of pocket. This is for the 3.3T Advanced.
That sounds like a terrible deal. The money factor on that model ends up being around 0.5%, the residual is 53% and lease cash is $1000 this month. How is the payment that high? What was the msrp and what was the price you negotiated on the car?
Old 02-02-19, 10:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

I still don’t understand money factor... 0.5% of what?
Old 02-02-19, 10:40 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I still don’t understand money factor... 0.5% of what?
It’s the interest rate on the lease. This month the money factor on the model he is looking at is 0.00002. To figure out the interest rate you multiply the money factor by 2400 which in this case equals 0.048%. I made a mistake in my calculation above by a zero, it is basically a 0% interest rate.
Old 02-03-19, 10:38 AM
AZFTW
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by patgilm

It’s the interest rate on the lease. This month the money factor on the model he is looking at is 0.00002. To figure out the interest rate you multiply the money factor by 2400 which in this case equals 0.048%. I made a mistake in my calculation above by a zero, it is basically a 0% interest rate.
The car is going for pretty much sticker right now...
Old 02-03-19, 10:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,962 Posts

I would never let a dealer run my credit for a test drive. I've never had that happen, but I have heard of it before. Had you given them a hard time they would have let you drive it.

I did one time have a salesman refuse to let me test drive a car. It was a Range Rover, and I was about a year out from doing something, which I always tell people. He told me to come back in a year and I could drive whatever I wanted to drive. I asked him "so you wouldn't offer me a test drive on anything today" and he said no, asked to talk to the sales manager and he said he wasn't in. Went back out to the car and called the sales manager who was mortified, asked me to come back in and ask for him specifically and he fired the salesperson. When I went back into that dealer a few weeks later with my friend who was negotiating for one, sure enough that guy was gone and her salesman had heard the story.

I'm in 100% commission sales, I get it. People trapse through open houses and want to go out and look at stuff they have no intention of buying all the time...but thats just part of being in sales. You never know what somebody might do, for instance 2 months after that I traded my 2015 LS in on my 2017 LS. That friend who bought a Land Rover Discovery there traded it in on a Range Rover 11 months later. I test drove and bought our Kia Sedona on a whim when our Jeep Grand Cherokee was just 10 months old. Would that test drive in that Range Rover have convinced me to trade early? Absolutely could have, and I clearly was driving a similarly priced car and had the money to be a legit consumer. Foolish on the part of the salesman and it rightfully lost him his job.
Old 02-03-19, 01:16 PM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

I read somewhere that Kia dealerships in some parts of the country would require credit checks just to test drive a Kia Soul. Not sure if this is a Hyundai Motor Corp thing or not but it’s unacceptable and insulting. If Genesis plans on wooing premium and luxury buyers to it’s products the key is not only in the product but the sales and service as well. Contrast that with my experience at a Lexus dealership last year in which the sales consultant practically gave me the keys to drive a RC coupe despite my telling him I was not ready to buy on that day. The experience was so pleasant and respectable.
Old 02-03-19, 01:25 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Never would I agree to a hard or soft pull on my credit to test drive any car. If the dealership needs to verify that I can afford a vehicle, I should be allowed to run their customer relations data. How many times have you messed up paperwork, how many joyrides has service staff taken, how many times have you knowingly put in language in a contract that was illegal.

But these type of interactions dont really surprise me. I know of a couple dealerships that were in the habit of running credit checks for dealerships in the past were talking early 2000s, while those dealerships structures remain, the companies that ran them have changed hands.
Old 02-03-19, 08:42 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AZFTW
The car is going for pretty much sticker right now...
Oh wow didn’t realize that. Makes much more sense now.
Old 02-03-19, 09:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
To figure out the interest rate you multiply the money factor by 2400 which in this case equals 0.048%.
why 2400? leasing is so obviously designed to be as confusing as possible.

Quick Reply: Genesis Dealer Experience