Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Courtesy on the Road...what WE, as Drivers, can do.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-19 | 02:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
haha you made me think of an episode of "CHiPs" where this guy welded some plates to the bottom of his Impala coupe? He flips a switch and then the car lowers and the plate causes sparks to fly in the face of the driver who is tailgating, causing him to crash and flip over. Oh wait, that's not along the spirit of the golden rule...ooops!

You see similar auto-stunts in some of the older James Bond films, with his Aston Martin. Most of us, though, of course, are not agents trying to outrun enemy agents.
Old 01-30-19 | 05:03 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
You've never seen traffic flowing 12 into 3, or 9 into 2, without stopping? Or did you think I said Ben Franklin? That's where the car behind, is suddenly trying to merge in front. I will never understand that about Phila no matter how long I live here. But again, it's all on my cam so if anything happens no he said/she said...

edit: during rush hour. At other times I've actually experienced near bumper to bumper, but I'm talking about when it's packed. Nobody in NYC atttempts to not alternate merge simply because of the road design, and knowing that's what's gonna get everyone there the fastest. How about the Vine St to 76W, people routinely try to go first based on aggression, not position.
I read what you wrote. I've never seen lanes of traffic efficiently merge into the Hudson River tunnels so as not to create a bottleneck. But I'm not generally there during rush hour, so I guess seasoned B&T commuters know the drill.
Old 01-31-19 | 04:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
I've never seen lanes of traffic efficiently merge into the Hudson River tunnels so as not to create a bottleneck.
Seems that wouldn't happen on the side of the tunnels where the toll booths are. Everyone has to stop for the toll (unless they maybe have an EZ-Pass system that I'm not aware of), so they can't just charge ahead *****-Nilly.
Old 01-31-19 | 05:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
4. Someone looking for an Address.

if a driver in front of you seems to be going a lot slower than the speed limit, especially with brake-lights going on and off regularly and/or on a side-street, it's a good bet that he or she is looking for an address, especially if the vehicle has an out-of-state license plate or there indications (like a dealer-identification) that the vehicle is from elsewhere in the state, and/or is simply not familiar with the street or neighborhood. Before you get angry, honk the horn, yell something, flip a Bronx Salute (middle finger) or do any one of a number of other things that rude and inconsiderate drivers sometimes do, just stop and try to put yourself in that driver's place, in a new strange environment....or maybe as a first-time student driver. You might just learn a little patience, consideration, and tolerance for others.
I take issue with this one. When I amnestying driving slowly looking around for an address, I stay aware of my surroundings, and if a car is behind me and I am holding them up I will pull over and let them go past if its safe to do so. The fact that I am looking for an address doesn't mean its okay to hold up the whole road.

What happens is these people are just totally oblivious to everybody else around them, which is pretty rude in and of itself.

Originally Posted by EZZ
I follow the most important golden rule / courtesy in so-cal. If I see a car catching up to me in the left lane, I move over to the right. It doesn't matter if I am driving the limit or 20 over. I move over so they can pass and go along their merry way. Who I am to get in the way if they are in a hurry.
This is becoming a HUGE problem. Lane etiquette is more or less gone. Its amazing to me how many times I have to pass someone on the right, and even when 5 cars blow by somebody on the right and then move back into the left lane right in front of them they never even notice and it doesn't occur to them to move to the left.
Old 01-31-19 | 05:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I take issue with this one. When I amnestying driving slowly looking around for an address, I stay aware of my surroundings, and if a car is behind me and I am holding them up I will pull over and let them go past if its safe to do so. The fact that I am looking for an address doesn't mean its okay to hold up the whole road.

What happens is these people are just totally oblivious to everybody else around them, which is pretty rude in and of itself.
No need to take issue.....if you are courteous and do that, then that's fine...and Thanks. I was not implying otherwise. The idea is for all of us to be courteous. If we were, road-rage incidents, no matter who starts it and why, would be a thing of the past.

This is becoming a HUGE problem. Lane etiquette is more or less gone. Its amazing to me how many times I have to pass someone on the right, and even when 5 cars blow by somebody on the right and then move back into the left lane right in front of them they never even notice and it doesn't occur to them to move to the left.
Many drivers, though, who do that (blow by people on the right whenever they can) often end up saving little, if any time......here's where patience comes into play. I can't count how many times I've seen impatient people do that, and then just have to brake and come to a stop at the next traffic light or stop sign. So, where has their impatience gotten them?.......they are right next to the very same car again, at the stop light, that they just HAD to pass a minute ago.
Old 01-31-19 | 07:57 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

here's something i definitely think applies here, and i was just reminded the other day after basically having to almost swerve out of the way, but people NEED to clear the snow off of their roofs!! especially if it's been sitting there for a bit and has gotten solid to where it breaks off in big chunks. i'm pretty sure it's actually illegal (in some states at least) to not clear the snow off, but not too infrequently i'll still see a snow covered car driving along.
Old 01-31-19 | 08:03 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

i'd be in favor of a law that allows people like that to be PIT maneuvered lmao

Old 01-31-19 | 08:07 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Most of us, though, of course, are not agents trying to outrun enemy agents.
speak for yourself...
Old 01-31-19 | 08:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroock639
speak for yourself...

I just did.....and for many others.

....even at the cost of damaging your own vehicle in the process?

but people NEED to clear the snow off of their roofs!! especially if it's been sitting there for a bit and has gotten solid to where it breaks off in big chunks. i'm pretty sure it's actually illegal (in some states at least) to not clear the snow off, but not too infrequently i'll still see a snow covered car driving along.
Actually, I'm glad you mentioned that. That's something else I try and do for some my neighbors when cleaning off my own car....though, of course, technically, it's not part of the thread (doing things on the road, behind the wheel)...actually more of a courtesy done at home.

And, yes, technically, driving down the road with an avalanche falling off behind your roof IS illegal in many jurisdictions...but, during and after snowstorms, police are usually so busy doing other things that they either don't have time to write up tickets for it, or simply make it a very low priority.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-31-19 at 08:50 PM.
Old 02-01-19 | 05:27 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroock639
LOL again for me aggressive driving encounters are day in, day out, Phila. metro area. I'm sure Boston, and VA/DC would be amped up a level, and NYC would be down a level. It is what it is.

But again, why I am so at ease now, is the dash cam. Look here--a Chevy Silverado cuts me off (look at his left tire, and his rear door/quarter panel vs. my hood), and the box truck to my left. For no reason as his lane is clear. And, I am traveling over the speed limit and keeping up with traffic.

He's not anonymous, that's why I'm at ease. I have a permanent record of the encounter, as well as who he is. I have omitted any personal info/license plates, but rest assured from this, you get an closeup of the license plate. Say 2 weeks or a month or a year from now someone matching the description is involved with an incident on the news?

Old 02-01-19 | 05:38 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

That's my biggest pet peeve in the DC area the left lane parkers seem to be happening more often especially on 495 and when I do pass on right they look at me like I'm crazy. I saw one person in left lane on 495 in VA swerving while going slow recently it was early evening figured they were drinking when I passed on right they had phone on steering wheel looking at video or texting
Old 02-01-19 | 06:18 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Many drivers, though, who do that (blow by people on the right whenever they can) often end up saving little, if any time......here's where patience comes into play. I can't count how many times I've seen impatient people do that, and then just have to brake and come to a stop at the next traffic light or stop sign. So, where has their impatience gotten them?.......they are right next to the very same car again, at the stop light, that they just HAD to pass a minute ago.
Different situation than what SW17LS is describing, though. The situation you describe sounds like it occurs in normal, stop-and-go city traffic. In situations like these, I agree that it's easier and far less dangerous to just be patient. However, the situation that SW17LS is referencing is typically on the highway or freeway. If I'm ever on the highway and I plan to go the speed limit or only a few kms above the limit, I'm usually in the rightmost lane, only moving to the left to pass people traveling slower than I am.
Old 02-01-19 | 06:25 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Originally Posted by plex
I saw one person in left lane on 495 in VA swerving while going slow recently it was early evening figured they were drinking when I passed on right they had phone on steering wheel looking at video or texting
These wastes of skin are the reason we have all of the tech nannies we do today. Lane centering to allow you to keep watching your video without swerving, auto-braking and collision warnings to remind you that you're in traffic while you're texting. It's almost like we're enabling this behavior by developing and using this tech...
Old 02-01-19 | 08:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sm1ke
Different situation than what SW17LS is describing, though. The situation you describe sounds like it occurs in normal, stop-and-go city traffic. In situations like these, I agree that it's easier and far less dangerous to just be patient. However, the situation that SW17LS is referencing is typically on the highway or freeway. If I'm ever on the highway and I plan to go the speed limit or only a few kms above the limit, I'm usually in the rightmost lane, only moving to the left to pass people traveling slower than I am.
Agreed it might be apples and oranges to an extent, but, in this area, slowdowns, stoppages, and backups are also routine on the Interstates and Beltway. Traffic makes its own stop-lights.
Old 02-01-19 | 09:15 AM
Coolchuck
Intermediate

Originally Posted by plex
That's my biggest pet peeve in the DC area the left lane parkers seem to be happening more often especially on 495 and when I do pass on right they look at me like I'm crazy. I saw one person in left lane on 495 in VA swerving while going slow recently it was early evening figured they were drinking when I passed on right they had phone on steering wheel looking at video or texting
Shoot, I've even noticed people driving/passing in the Emergency lane now during back ups on 495, MD side. So many times now when I drive I say to myself, " look at this idiot".

Quick Reply: Courtesy on the Road...what WE, as Drivers, can do.