Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Wants To Build A Hardcore F-Badged SUV

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-19, 12:34 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Lexus Wants To Build A Hardcore F-Badged SUV

Will the Japanese brand opt to emphasize on-road handling or off-road prowess?

Lexus's performance-oriented F sub-brand may soon find its way to the Japanese luxury brand's crossovers and SUVs. Speaking with the media prior to the start of the Rolex 24 at Daytona endurance race in Daytona Beach, Florida, Cooper Ericksen, vice president for product planning and strategy at Lexus, acknowledged that an F-badged crossover or SUV is an “active conversation” among folks working for the marque.

While Chika Kako, executive vice president and chief engineer to the Lexus UX, previously acknowledged the brand’s smallest crossover “has potential” to join the F family as a high-horsepower gasoline-electric hybrid, Ericksen stated that Lexus continues to evaluate what an F crossover or SUV might emphasize.
“[What] we're currently trying to figure out is [if] the on-road performance aspect [is] more important [for Lexus] to invest in than the off-road performance.”

Although the brand’s crossovers are likely limited to the former line of thought, the body-on-frame Lexus GX and LX models offer the go-anywhere capabilities the F sub-brand needs if it plans to create a high-performance off-road machine.

Despite our desire to see a Ford F-150 Raptor-like Lexus LX, we’d wager an F-branded crossover or SUV will ultimately settle on pushing the vehicle’s on-road handling prowess and not its off-road performance. Whether that comes in the form of a high-performance gasoline-electric Lexus UX, a boosted Lexus RX, or a Mercedes-AMG G63-like Lexus LX remains to be seen. Of course, there’s always the potential the F sub-brand will remain exclusive to the luxury brand's coupes and sedans.
https://www.motor1.com/news/302801/l...crossover-suv/
Old 01-30-19, 01:18 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Its totally pointless.
Old 01-30-19, 01:44 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

I won't hold my breath but would love to see one. If it has a chance it would probably be with the LF 1 Limitless.
Old 01-30-19, 05:37 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

RX - F baby!
how exciting lol
Old 01-30-19, 06:14 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If they could make a LX570 electric assisted 5.7 V8 with close to 600hp. Now that would be interesting.
Old 01-31-19, 08:44 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Their version of "high performance" will be a bone stock LS500 engine. Maybe +5 extra HP just so they can claim the most powerful Lexus SUV ever with a V6 or some marketing mumbo jumbo.
Old 01-31-19, 08:45 AM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL So they won't build another IS-F but they want to build a useless SUV that goes fast. I can't think of anything more dumb than tuned SUV's. That goes for AMG and M versions of soccer vehicles. Pointless garbage.
Old 01-31-19, 09:32 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,770 Likes on 1,914 Posts

Originally Posted by Kense
LOL So they won't build another IS-F but they want to build a useless SUV that goes fast. I can't think of anything more dumb than tuned SUV's. That goes for AMG and M versions of soccer vehicles. Pointless garbage.
No one said they won't build another IS-F... Did they?

If anything I see this as good news. If even the UX is getting an F, surely they will expand the F lineup. How can you make an IS and not make it an F?

As long as they don't make an ES-F... that seems very anti-ES.
Old 01-31-19, 10:43 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by arentz07

If anything I see this as good news. If even the UX is getting an F, surely they will expand the F lineup. How can you make an IS and not make it an F?

I dont see why they can't make an ES-F. Clearly front wheel drive will be a limitation, but with AWD is another story. Plus it has the bones to handle the power, whereas before, it had 20yr old creaky bones.
Old 01-31-19, 10:54 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,770 Likes on 1,914 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
I dont see why they can't make an ES-F. Clearly front wheel drive will be a limitation, but with AWD is another story. Plus it has the bones to handle the power, whereas before, it had 20yr old creaky bones.
Fair enough, supposedly the new TNGA platform is pretty good. Maybe they could throw the TT V-6 from the LS 500 in there.
Old 02-01-19, 06:03 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,411 Likes on 1,581 Posts

If ...

an F-badged crossover or SUV is (only) an “active conversation”
... at this point, then an actual vehicle you can buy probably wouldn’t be out until the end of the decade, so not holding my breath...
Old 02-01-19, 08:31 AM
situman
Pole Position

Fair enough, supposedly the new TNGA platform is pretty good. Maybe they could throw the TT V-6 from the LS 500 in there.
Wouldnt that be something? But then who will buy the LS when the ES will be faster, lighter and even more spacious. Probably less luxurious but that's just minor details.
Old 02-01-19, 08:51 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Kense
I am with you here.
Old 02-01-19, 01:23 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Their version of "high performance" will be a bone stock LS500 engine. Maybe +5 extra HP just so they can claim the most powerful Lexus SUV ever with a V6 or some marketing mumbo jumbo.
Precisely.
Old 02-04-19, 01:00 PM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You and I both know they are not building another IS-F.

Quick Reply: Lexus Wants To Build A Hardcore F-Badged SUV