Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Model 3 demand Slowing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-19, 08:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
How is your Model 3 doing, Henry? Are you satisfied with it?
car is good. for what i need i think it's doing a great job. it is fast, i don't have to run for gas, reasonably quiet, pretty comfortable. it's not as luxurious as my previous cars, it doesn't look that good both exterior and interior, but for the money i paid and my expectation of the car, it's doing good.

and of course the carpool stickers are a good plus. my commute time is cut down by 10-20%.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
^^

imo, a couple of the bigger problems about the model 3 going forward are 1) the interior, and 2) it's not an suv/cuv.

i'm no fan of the no driver gauges approach and i think a massive touch screen in the center stack for just about everything is the very definition of distracting.

about it not being an suv/cuv, i think tesla is launching a smaller ute than the x next, is that right? the 'y'?
i understand the part about interior design, no gauge, etc... but honestly distraction isn't really on the list. it was a concern when i shopped but now driving the car for 2 months, the screen (light, graphics, etc...) never bothers me -- day or night
Old 02-02-19, 06:50 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

When Model Y is released and if they can price it in the $50s - it will have blowout sales.

I would love to have the Model X as a family car but only the top performance version lol otherwise new X5 is better buy.
Old 02-02-19, 07:27 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

I am wondering how a model y will beat the new kia niro.
Old 02-02-19, 12:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I am wondering how a model y will beat the new kia niro.

Can't really comment on the Model Y without seeing it, but, in general, I think I'd rather have an extended-range hybrid like the Niro than a full-EV....especially considering now much less-quirky the Niro is designed than the Toyota Prius. An EV is critically dependent on regular electric-outlets, which may not always be available when you need them. An extended-range hybrid can use the engine to recharge the battery if and when necessary, using only minimal gasoline....but, of course, still needs gasoline-engine maintenance that an electric motor doesn't.
Old 02-02-19, 12:49 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

I'm baffled why Toyota or Lexus doesn't have a car like the Niro. Never mind the Model 3.
Old 02-02-19, 03:25 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
I'm baffled why Toyota or Lexus doesn't have a car like the Niro. Never mind the Model 3.
They offer an IS hybrid down under, but the new UX hybrid or the NX hybrid or RX hybrid and their sedans?

Last edited by coolsaber; 02-02-19 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-02-19, 03:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Toyota does have an entire line of various Prius hybrid (and plug-in-hybrid) models.....but they are more quirky-looking, have odd controls, and are not as conventionally-designed as the Niro. They appeal mainly to Environmentalists, schoolteachers, and Librarians....and, to some extent, to celebrities.
Old 02-02-19, 03:42 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

The Niro goes at least 200 miles on a charge Toyota has nothing in the same class or even close. Let's put it this way if Tesla is concerned about any competition it sure as heck isn't Toyota.
Old 02-02-19, 03:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The Niro goes at least 200 miles on a charge Toyota has nothing in the same class or even close. Let's put it this way if Tesla is concerned about any competition it sure as heck isn't Toyota.

Well, to some extent, you're preaching to the choir. I've made numerous posts on how IMO the Koreans are catching up to, and sometimes surpassing, the Japanese, in how they build vehicles.
Old 02-02-19, 09:25 PM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Any demand slowness will be welcome between now and march. No other company in the world was as under manufacturing pressure and deadlines to get as many cars sold by Dec 31 or last possible day to get the $7500 rebate.
The shift is now on to phase 2 of the Model 3 launch... which is obviously retooling and prepping for the Model Y launch. Orders should be starting in March 2019, or whenever they do the world wide premiere razzle and dazzle show. Once again, Musk will run up a new order queue into the stratosphere. Tesla is a master of priming the pump to get the orders in. No way will the Model Y have a long ramp up like the Model 3 does. It may share 80% of the components on an optimized production line without the Model X manufacturing complexity hubris. Good for Tesla to find ways to get even busier.

Before we know it, there will be two Tesla plants and possibly 3. Everyone else is still slow out of the starting gate. Figuring out a battery and infrastructure problem. ICE cars will continue to give a good fight with some tech prowess and hybrid boosting. the 2020 decade is when Tesla meaningfully begins to shape the future of the car industry. The 2010 decade was the pre-growth and infrastructure build out.

Call it the calm before the Model Y storm. It'll be a Category 5 wake up call to any SUV in the 40-80k range. You know what? Tesla success is a great American silicon valley success story. Enjoy the moment for what it is worth. It's inconceivable that they can be successful with the odds so highly stacked against them. For far too long, e-vehicles had to have a futuristic or ugly egg shape to stand out from the crowd. This is Toyota's and GM's and BMW's colossal cluster failure to really get around to designing a e-vehicle looking like a sexy one and far better looking than anything out there. The internal turf battles within ICE corporations were too great (eg VOLT cannot be too successful to hurt sales of other units, or Prius brand line up doesnt compete with anything else within the Toyota family). the 2020 decade will be a most entertaining one to follow and watch!! Get your popcorn ready!