Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

January 2019 Sales Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-19, 02:55 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb Mercedes

https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...0201005460/en/

Mercedes-Benz Reports January Sales of 22,507 Units

February 01, 2019 02:45 PM Eastern Standard TimeATLANTA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Mercedes-Benz USA (MBUSA) today reported January sales of 22,507 Mercedes-Benz models. Mercedes-Benz Vans reported January sales with 1,214 units and smart reported 83 units, bringing MBUSA to a grand total of 23,804 vehicles for the month.“Our January performance was affected by a number of factors including extreme weather in key markets,” said Dietmar Exler, president and CEO of MBUSA. “We anticipate a strong rebound with the arrival of several new models this year including the all new A-Class sedan and GLE.”Mercedes-Benz volume leaders in January included the GLC, C-Class and E-Class model lines. The GLC took the lead at 4,908, followed by C-Class sales of 4,676. The E-Class rounded out the top three with 3,258 units sold.January sales of Mercedes-AMG high-performance models totaled 2,882 units, up 17.4% compared to the same month last year.Separately, Mercedes-Benz Certified Pre-Owned (MBCPO) models recorded sales of 10,143 vehicles in January, an increase of 7.5% when compared to the same month last year (9,437).

Old 02-01-19, 02:56 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Lightbulb Infiniti

https://infinitinews.com/en-US/infin...ary-2019-sales

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – INFINITI today reported U.S. sales of 10,302 vehicles in January, a decrease of 3 percent.
The QX60 seven-passenger crossover, up 38 percent, and the QX80 full-size sport utility vehicle, up 6 percent, had their best January ever, contributing to a 7 percent increase in INFINITI's CUV and SUV lines.
Old 02-01-19, 06:20 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

So only 3 lexus models saw increase in sales versus same time last year. RC, ES and LS. Is there a breakdown for the RC? I wanted to see if it's the RC350/300 facelift that sold more or the RCF, inclined to think it's not the RCF though. NX is stale, RX needs facelift, IS needs new gen to move more units.
Old 02-02-19, 07:16 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

Thank you gs69!!
Old 02-02-19, 09:10 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EXE46
So only 3 lexus models saw increase in sales versus same time last year. RC, ES and LS. Is there a breakdown for the RC? I wanted to see if it's the RC350/300 facelift that sold more or the RCF, inclined to think it's not the RCF though. NX is stale, RX needs facelift, IS needs new gen to move more units.
Shelf life of Lexus models is just horrible. They should really think about replacing low tier models every 6 years instead of 7. NX got off the track real quick and it's now trailing competition from Audi, MB, BMW and even Acura for a months. Unfortunately they didn't figure out how to use RX's stronghold in sales to support NX numbers. NX is probably the greatest victim of Lexus super slow product planning and production. They had super hot Rav4 in 2005 and they didn't do nothing with it for about 10 years with some super PR excuses how they were developing it properly. Maybe they were worried for not being called out on reskinning and have their brand devalued for introducing the product in pretty much sub entry segment. Maybe that was all true for 2007 but they had a chance to co-create and conquer another premium segment that is right now hottest on the market.
Old 02-02-19, 04:28 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Shelf life of Lexus models is just horrible. They should really think about replacing low tier models every 6 years instead of 7. NX got off the track real quick and it's now trailing competition from Audi, MB, BMW and even Acura for a months. Unfortunately they didn't figure out how to use RX's stronghold in sales to support NX numbers. NX is probably the greatest victim of Lexus super slow product planning and production.
Fully agree. I'm expecting the 2NX to arrive latest by Dec 2020 as a MY 2021 for an acceptable 6 year gen cycle. However, it's the IS I'm concerned with. It's in desperate need of an overhaul (power, fuel econ, tech) from 2+ years ago and I hope Lexus does not drag it out like the 2IS (8 years!). No chance the current 3IS will be on a 6-year cycle or we'd have heard (or seen) of it by now. However, I'm expecting latest mid summer 2020 for the next 4IS (7 years) as a MY 2021.
Old 02-03-19, 10:09 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Shelf life of Lexus models is just horrible. They should really think about replacing low tier models every 6 years instead of 7. NX got off the track real quick and it's now trailing competition from Audi, MB, BMW and even Acura for a months. Unfortunately they didn't figure out how to use RX's stronghold in sales to support NX numbers. NX is probably the greatest victim of Lexus super slow product planning and production. They had super hot Rav4 in 2005 and they didn't do nothing with it for about 10 years with some super PR excuses how they were developing it properly. Maybe they were worried for not being called out on reskinning and have their brand devalued for introducing the product in pretty much sub entry segment. Maybe that was all true for 2007 but they had a chance to co-create and conquer another premium segment that is right now hottest on the market.
Considering how BMW and MB had far higher drops than Lexus in January, I dont get it.
Old 02-03-19, 10:12 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Autonews gives us rare insight into average incentive numbers for manufacturers.

“Despite lower retail sales, elevated transaction prices continue to help manufacturers maintain profitability. The average transaction price in January is on pace to reach $33,285, the highest level ever for the month.”
Record cold weather during the last week of January likely had a negative impact on sales. However, it was not just the weather. We also believe the government shutdown had an impact, from delayed purchases by furloughed workers to a more general feeling of uncertainty in the market. ​​​​​​​
Old 02-03-19, 11:01 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by spwolf
Considering how BMW and MB had far higher drops than Lexus in January, I dont get it.
Regarding NX? I just said Lexus had a chance decade ago to conquer the field with NX when X3 was the sole participant in the class.
Old 02-03-19, 11:04 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Fully agree. I'm expecting the 2NX to arrive latest by Dec 2020 as a MY 2021 for an acceptable 6 year gen cycle. However, it's the IS I'm concerned with. It's in desperate need of an overhaul (power, fuel econ, tech) from 2+ years ago and I hope Lexus does not drag it out like the 2IS (8 years!). No chance the current 3IS will be on a 6-year cycle or we'd have heard (or seen) of it by now. However, I'm expecting latest mid summer 2020 for the next 4IS (7 years) as a MY 2021.
If it hits the doors on April 2020 that would be good for IS. I just hope they have the engine part figured out for US cause if they carry over current V6 no amount of exciting or technology could save it from sales stalling within second year. Europe will get it's 2.5 hybrid that will continue to limp against 2.0 diesels but engine choice for US will make it or break it pretty much.
Old 02-03-19, 12:38 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Regarding NX? I just said Lexus had a chance decade ago to conquer the field with NX when X3 was the sole participant in the class.
well NX is actually huge success for Lexus, so sure, I dont get it.
It outsold X3 last year too.

Its biggest competitor for those extra 500 sales per month that would lead it to #1 status in the USA is actually RX, which is by far the best seller in its class.

I mean X3 + X5 together were outsold by RX alone, and with NX counted, it means that NX+RX have outsold BMW competition by some 65%.

That is with new X3 and NX and RX being in the middle/end of their cycle too.
Old 02-03-19, 04:37 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Its biggest competitor for those extra 500 sales per month that would lead it to #1 status in the USA is actually RX, which is by far the best seller in its class.

I mean X3 + X5 together were outsold by RX alone, and with NX counted, it means that NX+RX have outsold BMW competition by some 65%.

That was my reasoning. NX could have had the same edge as RX. I still think it's a missed opportunity for them. Should have been released a generation ago as reskinned RAV4 but for some reason they bet on HS. I'm not saying they were wrong cause HS could have went either way, I'm just being a war general after the battle Actually reskined Rav4 with HS interior would have been dope.

As of now GLC and Q5 own the segment by more than 10,000 units and that's almost impossible to equal now. They pretty much need a generation hick up in both GLC and Q5 in order catch up. CUV segment pie is pretty evenly distributed unless your models are GLC/Q5

Old 02-03-19, 05:44 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

That was my reasoning. NX could have had the same edge as RX. I still think it's a missed opportunity for them. Should have been released a generation ago as reskinned RAV4 but for some reason they bet on HS. I'm not saying they were wrong cause HS could have went either way, I'm just being a war general after the battle Actually reskined Rav4 with HS interior would have been dope.

As of now GLC and Q5 own the segment by more than 10,000 units and that's almost impossible to equal now. They pretty much need a generation hick up in both GLC and Q5 in order catch up. CUV segment pie is pretty evenly distributed unless your models are GLC/Q5
Don't forget the X3. BMW sold 60k of them last year in the US alone. The segment is hot indeed .
Old 02-03-19, 08:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

i imagine the average transaction prices for nx/rx are much lower than x3/x5/etc. but regardless, the nx/rx certainly sell well.
Old 02-04-19, 04:26 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Lightbulb Porsche

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300788277.html
Porsche Starts 2019 With Record U.S. Retail Sales in January

Following a record 2018, deliveries for the month increased 12.5 percent

News provided by

Porsche Cars North America, Inc. Feb 01, 2019, 12:28 ET

ATLANTA, Feb. 1, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Porsche Cars North America, Inc. (PCNA), importer and distributor of the Porsche 911, 718 Boxster and Cayman, Panamera, Cayenne, and Macan model lines, today announced that January retail sales climbed 12.5 percent from a year earlier to 5,419. The total marked an all-time January record, following a record year in 2018.The new, more powerful Cayenne drove the month's growth as S and Turbo models rounded out the lineup on showroom floors. Deliveries of all three variants combined rose 65.1 percent in January year-on-year to 2,150 vehicles. The iconic Porsche 911 also charged ahead, increasing 29.1 percent to 1,101 deliveries ahead of the arrival of the next generation later this year."We are grateful to see the year start strong for our 191 U.S. Porsche dealer partners," said Klaus Zellmer, President and CEO of PCNA. "After celebrating 70 years of Porsche sports cars last year, this month's record deliveries show that we are successfully combining our rich heritage with the innovation customers want today."Porsche Approved Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) sales in the U.S. totaled 1,562 vehicles in January.

Last edited by GS69; 02-04-19 at 04:29 AM.

Quick Reply: January 2019 Sales Thread