Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tesla, the Germans are coming for you...

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-19, 09:07 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
can they (german brands) get enough batteries? to date they've only shipped tiny numbers of ev's. in fact no one but tesla has shipped any quantity - maybe nissan is the highest. tesla built a VAST factory to make batteries. i think that even if the germans come on strong they perhaps they may end up buying batteries form tesla.
There’s a reason why Elon Musk opened his new $5 billion Gigafactory in Sparks, Nevada. That’s because its located next to the largest lithium mine in America. Tesla’s new Gigafactory is scheduled to produce 35 gigawatt hours of lithium battery storage capacity next year, doubling the size of the worldwide lithium battery market.

The Clayton Valley is 3½ hours south of Sparks, Nevada and is the largest and only lithium mine currently in production. It’s THE hub of U.S.-based lithium mining.

Old 02-06-19, 09:15 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Forget batteries, do we have enough magnets for the motors. And with China controlling the mines that is required for both batteries and magnets, production can be pretty sketchy and expensive with ramped up demand for the raw materials.
Japan found a potential source for rare earth metals.

https://business.financialpost.com/c...turies-to-come

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/12/japa...n-pacific.html
Old 02-06-19, 09:35 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
There’s a reason why Elon Musk opened his new $5 billion Gigafactory in Sparks, Nevada. That’s because its located next to the largest lithium mine in America. Tesla’s new Gigafactory is scheduled to produce 35 gigawatt hours of lithium battery storage capacity next year, doubling the size of the worldwide lithium battery market.

The Clayton Valley is 3½ hours south of Sparks, Nevada and is the largest and only lithium mine currently in production. It’s THE hub of U.S.-based lithium mining.
Where do all the batteries from Toyota or MB or GM hybrids come from now?
Old 02-06-19, 01:06 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Model Y should be announced in April/May iirc. Model X will be discontinued within the next year or so.
Old 02-06-19, 01:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Model Y should be announced in April/May iirc. Model X will be discontinued within the next year or so.
And? Why is that important?
Old 02-06-19, 01:20 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
And? Why is that important?
Because of the thread title

The Model X is expensive, and the Model Y will help move units which Tesla needs to help combat the onslaught on German EVs soon to be unleashed.
Old 02-06-19, 01:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Because of the thread title

The Model X is expensive, and the Model Y will help move units which Tesla needs to help combat the onslaught on German EVs soon to be unleashed.
I got you. I did not know the model Y was a lower cost replacement.
Old 02-06-19, 01:30 PM
Hoovey689

I got you. I did not know the model Y was a lower cost replacement.
Should be revealed soon. My good friend who works at Tesla in Fremont, said the X's days are numbered, one because of it's cost, two because the falcon wing doors are a PITA.

2020 Model Y teased awhile ago.

Old 02-06-19, 01:38 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Should be revealed soon. My good friend who works at Tesla in Fremont, said the X's days are numbered, one because of it's cost, two because the falcon wing doors are a PITA.
For sure, Tesla will go nowhere if they products are two expensive. The door is a good idea for a first gen model.
Old 02-06-19, 01:44 PM
Hoovey689

For sure, Tesla will go nowhere if they products are two expensive. The door is a good idea for a first gen model.
Definitely. The trick doors generate buzz. The new Model Y I read will share some 76% of parts with the Model 3. So it should be profitable.
Old 02-06-19, 04:06 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

So BMW's i3 and MB B-class not making a dent at all ?

Oh wow, I didn't know the X is going to get axed. I thought they're doing well since they're all over so cal here.
Old 02-06-19, 04:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Oh wow, I didn't know the X is going to get axed. I thought they're doing well since they're all over so cal here.
yeah well so cal is ‘unique’... with media and tech people buying them to show their green cred.
Old 02-06-19, 04:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Gull-wing doors have been a source of problems on many vehicles....the X is obviously no exception. They were a major factor (among other problems as well) in the DeLorean cars not being successful, and caused problems even as far back as the classic Mercedes SL coupes of the 1950s.
Old 02-06-19, 05:01 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,830 Likes on 2,392 Posts

Those are so called falcon wing doors not gull wing. They are very cool but complex we'll likely never see them on a vehicle again.
Old 02-06-19, 08:26 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where has it been said that the Model X is slated to be discontinued? Pretty sure there's no plan for that, although I could be wrong. The Model Y is a smaller CUV meant to be the mainstream model along side Model 3 but with X still in place.

Then there's the promised pickup. These model developments just happen too slowly over at Tesla. There's a reason there's no other upstart car companies, it's just too hard. They need a cash injection of many 10's of billions of dollars to accelerate development but also to deal with upcoming billions in debt that is coming due.

One wonders why billionaire's haven't come along to invest in Tesla who claim to be so alarmed by climate change and think things like electric cars are the answer. Why are the super rich standing on the sidelines as Tesla stays in business only by the skin of their teeth? I understand that such investments essentially amounts to buying Tesla which Musk doesn't want. But I'm talking more perhaps about the super rich donating to a cause they say they believe in, no strings attached.

Quick Reply: Tesla, the Germans are coming for you...