Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tesla, the Germans are coming for you...

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-19, 11:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Those are so called falcon wing doors not gull wing. They are very cool but complex we'll likely never see them on a vehicle again.

What they are called actually makes little difference. They open in pretty much the same manner as gull-wing doors...outward and up.
Old 02-06-19, 11:28 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Where has it been said that the Model X is slated to be discontinued? Pretty sure there's no plan for that, although I could be wrong. The Model Y is a smaller CUV meant to be the mainstream model along side Model 3 but with X still in place.

Then there's the promised pickup. These model developments just happen too slowly over at Tesla. There's a reason there's no other upstart car companies, it's just too hard. They need a cash injection of many 10's of billions of dollars to accelerate development but also to deal with upcoming billions in debt that is coming due.

One wonders why billionaire's haven't come along to invest in Tesla who claim to be so alarmed by climate change and think things like electric cars are the answer. Why are the super rich standing on the sidelines as Tesla stays in business only by the skin of their teeth? I understand that such investments essentially amounts to buying Tesla which Musk doesn't want. But I'm talking more perhaps about the super rich donating to a cause they say they believe in, no strings attached.
My friend works at the Fremont plant. Told me about a year to year and a half it’ll be phased out. S and X lines have been reduced significantly the last few months. 3 sales are growing and Y will share over 75% of parts with the 3. Obviously take what I’m saying with a grain of salt but just relaying what I heard. Those falcon wing doors cause a lot of engineering problems apparently. Y should be shown around April or May I think
Old 02-07-19, 12:28 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

The Germans are true competition of course, but they are wayys out. Plus, seeing how the charging infrastructure currently available is nowhere near tesla...good luck. in addition latest reports state Tesla will power some of VWs charging stations.....

I`d sit tight with Tesla.

Just to goo off the deep end here:
The quality of Tesla vehicles are appalling in the basics like panels alignments/gaps, Used sales are horrendous and yet Tesla is making waves. Tesla benefits primarily on the LandRover Demographic. The cool gizmos while being in line with "sustainable environmental policies" helps the core demographic, be it those who own one or currently aspire to own one, to find no error in the ways of Tesla, same way a Range Rover owner will always buy another one regardless of days out of service. I would head over to the CR report thread, where the M3 boasts highest levels of initial satisfaction amongst owners.
Old 02-07-19, 06:59 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
So BMW's i3 and MB B-class not making a dent at all ?

Oh wow, I didn't know the X is going to get axed. I thought they're doing well since they're all over so cal here.
Could be a mild refresh to replace those doors with giant minivan doors lol.
Old 02-07-19, 08:43 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,955 Likes on 2,489 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What they are called actually makes little difference. They open in pretty much the same manner as gull-wing doors...outward and up.
Surprised to see you say this the Tesla doors are different than anything else put on the market they are double hinged and actively adaptable based on the surroundings.
Old 02-07-19, 09:41 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wonder how much those doors add to the cost of the X. With conventional doors, they may have been able to sell many more at a more reasonable price.