Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Cost Cutting, really grinding my gears.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-19, 06:18 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Looks like E90 3-Series BMWs did have a divider, interestingly:
https://www.ebay.com/i/132484373885?chn=ps
That's literally out of my car (2007 335i), and I have been unsuccessful in explaining the way that switch feels (this could be on a 2006 325i, a $30k car at the time), vs. a 2006 LS430, a $65k+ car at the time. The former feels high quality, the latter feels cheap, out of a Corolla. This is 2006. We could go even further--slam rather close briskly the door on a 2007 E92 BMW, listing for $46,xxx, and slam the door on a 2006 LS430, listing for $65,300. The former feels high quality. The latter feels medium quality. Which door actuator breaks first? Why, the Lexus of course. But it's only a $840 repair at the dealer. lol

edit Which electric mirror switch stops working first? Yes, the Lexus. Toyota cost cutting was not a recent development, it existed in 2001, on the LS. I own both of the above vehicles so it's not what I've heard, it's what I've experienced and supported by the 3rd gen forum

Which autodim sideview mirror malfunctions first? Uh huh, the Lexus! But the mirror glass only lists for $388.55, part alone, so no worries! lol (just illustrating there are Toyota parts that are out of whack and more expensive than Germans--brake sensor wires for example, $120 v. $32)

Last edited by Johnhav430; 02-07-19 at 06:24 AM.
Old 02-07-19, 06:38 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
For example, the new Cruise control buttons are not as easy and simple to use as the time tested older method with the lever behind the wheel.
I have the same gripe with newer BMWs. For years they've had what I consider the best cruise control implementation, with a stalk below the turn signal stalk. Push away from you to go faster, pull towards you to slow down, up or down to cancel, push the button on the end to resume. In more recent models, they've gone to the steering-wheel buttons like everyone else, a definite step backwards.

Thanks, I appreciate you letting me know what they do with BMW. I would be interested to know if older BMW models had the divider.
as tex2670 noted, older BMWs have a divider, but much larger than we're discussing here--it's about 8" wide and is called a shifter. This is where they were located on my E46:

Last edited by geko29; 02-07-19 at 06:46 AM.
Old 02-07-19, 07:00 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
I have the same gripe with newer BMWs. For years they've had what I consider the best cruise control implementation, with a stalk below the turn signal stalk. Push away from you to go faster, pull towards you to slow down, up or down to cancel, push the button on the end to resume. In more recent models, they've gone to the steering-wheel buttons like everyone else, a definite step backwards.
Ok, that is easier than steering wheel buttons.
Old 02-07-19, 07:02 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Ok, that is easier than steering wheel buttons.
The Toyota stalk also works the same way, a few operations are a bit different. But there is no way to ever confuse the stalk for any other button or control.
Old 02-07-19, 07:21 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

as tex2670 noted, older BMWs have a divider, but much larger than we're discussing here--it's about 8" wide and is called a shifter. This is where they were located on my E46:
It's all the controls. Now one has to turn the power on to use the cruise. German cars were always on back to the 80's. The lack of the detent on the turn signal, gone. The lack of a detent on the wipers, gone. Pull the covers off to see the brake/clutch ABS on a E9x, and do the same on a Fxx (M3/M4 no exception). The latter is cheep city. But maybe the G series is correction to all that, because rightfully so, the 3 series was removed from the 10 best list after as many consecutive years as the Montréal Canadiens have won Stanley Cups.

edit p.s. I have experienced this phenom on other forums where threads relating to the mfg. who is the subject of the forum itself, turns to knocking BMW. It's ok I think since I own one...

Last edited by bitkahuna; 02-07-19 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-07-19, 08:12 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Just be thankful they have not put the cruise control is some stupid touch screen menu which is likely coming soon to eliminate all the "clutter" of cruise control buttons or switches.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 02-07-19 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-07-19, 09:17 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
edit p.s. I have experienced this phenom on other forums where threads relating to the mfg. who is the subject of the forum itself, turns to knocking BMW. It's ok I think since I own one...
I'm an owner as well, and have been daily driving a 3-series (first an E46 323i, now an E90 335d) for twenty years now. Was not meaning to head that way, just noting that BMW made the same (IMO foolish) decision on cruise control that Lexus did.
Old 02-07-19, 10:58 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I'm an owner as well, and have been daily driving a 3-series (first an E46 323i, now an E90 335d) for twenty years now. Was not meaning to head that way, just noting that BMW made the same (IMO foolish) decision on cruise control that Lexus did.
The Nissan forum was like that, it's like if you so much as mentioned you like BMWs, you were bashed. I kid you not, it woudn't be for another 6 years that I got a BMW, and a guy told me and I know he was older because he said so and we discussed Lucent stock at the time lol, "If you like BMW so much, then why don't you buy one already?" Why the hate, right? So I drive a Maxima today, doesn't mean that someday I can't get a BMW...

I do think in general all cos. have been cutting costs and not just Toyota. But there are traces of it all the way back to 2001 imho with Toyota. For me, BMW started 2009 or so as can be seen in the E9x's as they went from 2006 to 2007 to 2008 to 2009....
Old 02-07-19, 11:37 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
I'm an engineer (now retired) and when I was working a often complained about the "bean counters". If they would just give us enough money we could make things so much better. As I moved into management, I began to realize that they were important to our ability to make money on our products. We could build the "perfect" product made of unobtainium but no one could afford to buy it and we would be out of business. Cost cutting (or cost control) is critical to the profitability of something as high volume as mass production cars and trucks. If you can save $1 per F150 truck, that amounts to almost $1,000,000 profit each year. I don't blame Toyota for trying to save money on each unit, it just makes them less expensive to the consumer. After all, the object of a business is to make a profit, not just to sell cars. There is obviously a line where too cheap won't sell because competitors are better. Honda found this out a few years ago with the Civic. For me, Toyota and Lexus do pretty well at providing value in their products and their continued sales success shows it. GM, on the other hand, missed the target. The CT6 is a brilliant engineering accomplishment but the cost to design and build it make it unprofitable to sell. How about just a little love for the bean counters?
I agree 100%. I get a bit annoyed with all of the ripping on "bean counters" here on CL. They are a necessary part of product development. While I work on airliners, not cars, it's all the same. I always say that we would never release a new product if we engineers were in control. We'd never stop designing, changing, and improving the product. And we'd end up with something so expensive that no one would ever be able to buy it.
Old 02-07-19, 12:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
I agree 100%. I get a bit annoyed with all of the ripping on "bean counters" here on CL. They are a necessary part of product development. While I work on airliners, not cars, it's all the same. .
My comments in this thread were not to rip into bean counting. My thread was an honest thread from a reaction from what my parents had said about opening both windows with one press, I hand't thought anything of it until we were at the car park, I never noticed it on the Prius and that model has been out with those switches for years now. I believe the spacer is there to prevent exactly what I am saying is happening, I cannot open both windows with my cars with one press, I can with my parents Avalon. To me, this was cost cutting move by Toyota as the spacer obviously serves some sort of purpose. If people want to call it a styling reason, that is fine however I would remind that nobody ever mentioned any of this unit I started this thread.

As for ripping on bean counters. I think something has to be said about cost cutting from a consumers perspective, we are the people that determine is something is going to sell or work. Yes, it does get tiring if there is an agenda behind it. However if you are as old as I am, you might remember the great decline of General Motors, they had some very, very good products with excellent thought out details and great features. They fell apart once the bean counters and only corporate profits became the priority. So Toyota can easily become the new GM is people are not watching.

For modern day Toyota/Lexus models, if there was ever a time if I questioned Toyota's direction, I am starting to think more and more of late. There are some things lately I have not loved about the brand. Mostly, it revolves around user experience.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-07-19 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-07-19, 12:58 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

My comments in this thread were not to rip into bean counting. My thread was an honest thread from a reaction from what my parents had said about opening both windows with one press, I hand't thought anything of it until we were at the car park, I never noticed it on the Prius and that model has been out with those switches for years now. I believe the spacer is there to prevent exactly what I am saying is happening, I cannot open both windows with my cars with one press, I can with my parents Avalon. To me, this was cost cutting move by Toyota as the spacer obviously serves some sort of purpose. If people want to call it a styling reason, that is fine however I would remind that nobody ever mentioned any of this unit I started this thread.

As for ripping on bean counters. I think something has to be said about cost cutting from a consumers perspective, we are the people that determine is something is going to sell or work. Yes, it does get tiring if there is an agenda behind it. However if you are as old as I am, you might remember the great decline of General Motors, they had some very, very good products with excellent thought out details and great features. They fell apart once the bean counters and only corporate profits became the priority. So Toyota can easily become the new GM is people are not watching.

For modern day Toyota/Lexus models, if there was ever a time if I questioned Toyota's direction, I am starting to think more and more of late. There are some things lately I have not loved about the brand.
My comments were not directed at you. But we often read on here about how everything that someone doesn't like is the result of "the bean counters". My point is to simply remember that resources are not unlimited. There is a reason for counting the beans. Yes, there are often downsides, but many times they are the ones keeping these products affordable, and very often there may be a noticeable cut somewhere which allowed an improvement somewhere else. It's a big picture thing.
Old 02-07-19, 01:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

My comments were not directed at you. But we often read on here about how everything that someone doesn't like is the result of "the bean counters". My point is to simply remember that resources are not unlimited. There is a reason for counting the beans. Yes, there are often downsides, but many times they are the ones keeping these products affordable, and very often there may be a noticeable cut somewhere which allowed an improvement somewhere else. It's a big picture thing.
Thanks I did not think it was directed at me. Just wanted to respond. I agree there is a reason for the bean counting and yes it does keep things affordable. For the most part, modern day Toyota's and Lexus models are better than they were in the past. The interiors are for the most part, much much better.

If you saw in my very first post in this thread, I said that I find more value in the criticism of the a Toyota or Lexus model than the actual praise.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-07-19 at 01:14 PM.
Old 02-07-19, 01:16 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Can we even imagine....how does a skyscraper go up, and get completed? If there were no accountability, it wouldn't happen. Or say a bridge to replace the former Tappan Zee. My dad was an engineer, and he had the utmost respect for accountants, bankers, GCs, none of the stuff he worked on would have ever been completed without them. If a 10 cent fastener is used instead of a $1 one, it's not really an accountant who did that lol
Old 02-08-19, 09:24 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

My new Ram has a braille-type raised dot on the drivers side window switch to indicate to your hand that you are on the right switch. I thought this was a thing in all cars.
Old 02-08-19, 09:27 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
My new Ram has a braille-type raised dot on the drivers side window switch to indicate to your hand that you are on the right switch. I thought this was a thing in all cars.
Yeah, I think most do have this. If you look at bit's G90 picture, you can see a raised dot. My GS and Highlander have depressions on the driver's window switch to help, though I think it's a bit unnecessary. Just use the switch on the left...

Quick Reply: Toyota Cost Cutting, really grinding my gears.