Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Despite good economy, many still in trouble with car loans.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-19, 04:31 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

I just said average mortgage and $1000. Here in Toronto it is $1 mil for a detached, or that might even be just a house. Tired to tie it all in to a Camry, one of the best selling cars, and 36 mo and average car cost transaction.
Well, then maybe you just want to spell out the monthly mortgage payment. Because "average" will vary wildly if you are talking about, say, US as a whole, NYC, upstate NY, Cincinnati, SF, Houston, LA, etc., etc.

"Average mortgage" is a term with no meaning.
Old 02-13-19, 04:34 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 390 Likes on 264 Posts

I was not trying to argue the finance vs lease or pay off early or use debt to your advantage. I was just trying to illustrate what one could get get at $1000 per month for two cars using the 8% rule earlier mentioned. I just chose $1000 out of thin air and I used 36mo as the term as that was the warranty.

I believe in ownership and paying things off ASAP. IMO it’s the best way. If someone else thinks a different way, good for them, I am not trying to change their opinion. All the power to them.
Then what were you referring to in this direct response to 4TehNguyen? Below, you're saying "100%" that he should pay off his loan faster. Now in the above quote you're saying you didn't say that ("I was not trying to argue the... pay off early or use debt to your advantage...") That's actually exactly what you're saying..

Jill: "The sooner you free up cash flow, the sooner you can put it to work for you"

4TehNguyen: "Uh no. Why would you sink more money than necessary into a depreciating asset. So you're telling me if I have a 0% 72m car loan I should pay it off faster so I can use this freed up money to invest elsewhere? Think about it."

Jill: "100%. Why do you disagree?"

Old 02-13-19, 04:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Well, then maybe you just want to spell out the monthly mortgage payment. Because "average" will vary wildly if you are talking about, say, US as a whole, NYC, upstate NY, Cincinnati, SF, Houston, LA, etc., etc.

"Average mortgage" is a term with no meaning.
So, what is the average monthly mortgage payment? My guess, it’s a $1000 a month. To buy a Camry, and pay it off during the warranty period, it’s pretty costly for what you get, if you hit the average selling price. So the moral is, cars are very very expensive and people are willing to allocate a lot of their funds towards there car.
Old 02-13-19, 05:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Ps, I do not see value in having a car loan exceed the warranty period.
That's one reason (among several) why so many upmarket German-brand vehicles are leased rather than bought. The warranty, even on the drivetrain, is only 4/50.
Old 02-13-19, 06:18 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

So, what is the average monthly mortgage payment? My guess, it’s a $1000 a month.
That is an excellent guess. I've seen a couple of sources that peg it at $1,030 or so. Here's one: https://www.lendingtree.com/home/mor...tgage-payment/
Old 02-13-19, 06:56 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
That is an excellent guess. I've seen a couple of sources that peg it at $1,030 or so. Here's one: https://www.lendingtree.com/home/mor...tgage-payment/
I can't believe it's that low. Only because it accounts for mortgages taken out up to 30 years ago and many low cost areas away from the coasts. $1,000/mo in a lot of places would be a shed.
Old 02-13-19, 07:07 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
I can't believe it's that low. Only because it accounts for mortgages taken out up to 30 years ago and many low cost areas away from the coasts. $1,000/mo in a lot of places would be a shed.
It does include older mortgages, obviously. But we are talking about averages, not extremes. And new mortgagees do have slightly higher payments:

On average, first-time homebuyers face higher monthly payments than the national average. According to research from the Urban Institute, in early 2018, first-time homebuyers bought houses worth $245,320 with an average down payment of $22,561, and an interest rate of 4.43%. Given these figures, first-time borrowers faced a mortgage payment of $1,235 — 21% more than the average homeowner.
Old 02-14-19, 07:21 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
It does include older mortgages, obviously. But we are talking about averages, not extremes. And new mortgagees do have slightly higher payments:
It must also be talking about mortgage and interest alone. Most people have property tax and insurance lumped into their mortgage payment. This adds hundreds a month. A typical mortgage payment for a $400-$500K house (that's typical up in New England where I am) is about $2500-$3000/mo even with a good chunk down. That's with taxes and insurance. Sure there's many properties for a good amount less but they are small houses and/or in undesirable areas.
Old 02-14-19, 08:06 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
It must also be talking about mortgage and interest alone. Most people have property tax and insurance lumped into their mortgage payment. This adds hundreds a month. A typical mortgage payment for a $400-$500K house (that's typical up in New England where I am) is about $2500-$3000/mo even with a good chunk down. That's with taxes and insurance. Sure there's many properties for a good amount less but they are small houses and/or in undesirable areas.
Tax and Insurance escrows should not count toward "mortgage payment". Those are sums that you have to pay whether or not you have a mortgage; your lender just holds onto them for you until taxes or insurance bills are due, because they don't trust you'll pay them, and failure to pay could impact their collateral. And not every lender requires them--mine waived the requirement, and I pay direct--because I don't trust them.

Old 02-14-19, 08:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Remember, though, one major difference between the (thread-topic) car loans and mortgages/property-taxes....One cannot usually deduct the interest on car-loans on Schedule A, unless one has taken out a home-equity-loan (or mortgage) for the car itself. That is a practice that, while legal, I generally do not recommend, simply for its risk. Yes, you might save a little on the tax bill (or get a bigger refund)...but you are putting your home up as collateral. A car, IMO, is not worth the risk of one's home.
Old 02-14-19, 08:32 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

I didn't go through and read this entire thread because, well, who has time for that?

However, I can say a few things with absolute certainty:

1. If you are buying a car based off how much payment you can afford, you're doing it wrong.
2. If you need a loan term longer than 3 years to afford the car, you can't afford the car. I was driving past a Kia dealer the other day and they were advertising 96 month loans on the new stinger. That is a recipe for financial disaster.
3. If you can't afford to put any money down, you can't afford the car (there is a difference between not being able to afford to, and just not wanting to).
4. If your credit score is below 600, you can't afford a new-to-you used car, with a loan.
5. If your credit score is below 700, you can't afford a brand-new car, with a loan.
6. If you have to roll over negative equity AT ALL, you can't afford the car.

Now those are solely based on my opinion, take it for what its worth. There are exceptions to these but for the most part I find them to be true. If your credit is below 600, your credit sucks. That is a fact. You are going to pay far more in interest for a depreciating asset than you would just saving and buying outright. That doesn't fix your credit, but there are other ways to do that that are MUCH less expensive and risky. Chances are, with a score that low, you haven't been meeting your other financial responsibilities and so...here you are. Exception: Medical debt. It can hit your credit hard and can be exorbitantly costly.

There should be ZERO reason to ever take a car loan longer than 75 months, on the most expensive cars. On your average Honda, Kia, Toyota, Ford, etc, nobody should be taking loans longer than 36 months, or 48 if 0% interest.

There should be ZERO reason to roll over negative equity. If you are in that kind of hole, keep driving what you got until its paid down or paid off. Odds are the car will still be worth SOMETHING at the end of the loan, and you can then sell it and use the money to put down on your new ride, which will likely be a better one than you could get today.

Buy your cars off the final price, NOT THE PAYMENT. Also, be sure to incorporate total cost of ownership (insurance, maintenance, things like this). My Ram costs much more to ensure and maintain than my 2002 Lexus that I paid >5k for.
Old 02-14-19, 10:04 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Tax and Insurance escrows should not count toward "mortgage payment". Those are sums that you have to pay whether or not you have a mortgage; your lender just holds onto them for you until taxes or insurance bills are due, because they don't trust you'll pay them, and failure to pay could impact their collateral. And not every lender requires them--mine waived the requirement, and I pay direct--because I don't trust them.
My uncle told me never let the mortgage co. hold taxes in escrow, so I followed his advice since I purchased my house in 2002. The part that stinks is having the discipline to have it when due. It isn't even what I said verbatim, meaning, it's coming out of savings like it or not, it isn't as if we don't have it. But that doesn't mean it doesn't sting big time when the check is written. Maybe the though part is replacing what just came out of savings, or, rather, seeing that savings grew year over year as planned (it often does not).

In PA, we have 3 payments, one due 3/31, one 4/1, one 8/31. The big one is due 8/31 i.e. school taxes. I look at it this way, when I did trade stocks, I never once got the bid or ask that was showing on the screen. Someone else made that relatively small margin multiplied across however many shares. Why let a mortgage co. skim like that?
Old 02-14-19, 10:11 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
I didn't go through and read this entire thread because, well, who has time for that?

1. If you are buying a car based off how much payment you can afford, you're doing it wrong.
2. If you need a loan term longer than 3 years to afford the car, you can't afford the car. I was driving past a Kia dealer the other day and they were advertising 96 month loans on the new stinger. That is a recipe for financial disaster.
3. If you can't afford to put any money down, you can't afford the car (there is a difference between not being able to afford to, and just not wanting to).
4. If your credit score is below 600, you can't afford a new-to-you used car, with a loan.
5. If your credit score is below 700, you can't afford a brand-new car, with a loan.

Now those are solely based on my opinion, take it for what its worth. There are exceptions to these but for the most part I find them to be true. If your credit is below 600, your credit sucks. That is a fact. You are going to pay far more in interest for a depreciating asset than you would just saving and buying outright. That doesn't fix your credit, but there are other ways to do that that are MUCH less expensive and risky. Chances are, with a score that low, you haven't been meeting your other financial responsibilities and so...here you are. Exception: Medical debt. It can hit your credit hard and can be exorbitantly costly.

There should be ZERO reason to ever take a car loan longer than 75 months, on the most expensive cars. On your average Honda, Kia, Toyota, Ford, etc, nobody should be taking loans longer than 36 months, or 48 if 0% interest.

There should be ZERO reason to roll over negative equity. If you are in that kind of hole, keep driving what you got until its paid down or paid off. Odds are the car will still be worth SOMETHING at the end of the loan, and you can then sell it and use the money to put down on your new ride, which will likely be a better one than you could get today.

Buy your cars off the final price, NOT THE PAYMENT. Also, be sure to incorporate total cost of ownership (insurance, maintenance, things like this). My Ram costs much more to ensure and maintain than my 2002 Lexus that I paid >5k for.
Speaking of FICO, I noticed this. I always went by Experian because in my case it was the harshest. I could get this number from AMEX, and Chase. All the others were the amateur hour like Discover or Citi or the CUs, with numbers jacked up to who knows what like beyond 850, basically zillow only credit. I just opened up a Wells Fargo credit card for $200 (when $1000 is spent in 90 days and 0% for 15 mos.). I was pleasantly surprised as now there is FICO 9? And it's Experian. I believe this number as opposed to the jacked up numbers by TU and Equifax. My buddy says it's nothing more than a debt score (is this DR talk?), the higher it is, the higher your debt or that you use it. I dunno I guess having it high is better than low. So that if you did borrow you don't get shut out from the best rate. But don't borrow all the time, I don't think 0% means let's do this! 0% may mean 0%, and don't use it if you don't have to.

I still highly doubt that that many comprehend what happened in 2018 with respect to 1--exemptions 2--salt 3--interest deductions One would hope that generally speaking, the way they looked at life in 2017, is different 2018+. If not, oh well.
Old 02-14-19, 10:33 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne

From a financial standpoint it all makes sense.

For a majority of people, it's easier said than done. A new mainstream Civic can be $600/mo if you only go 36/mo. An economy car! The average car is now about $37K.

Sure, it would then be recommended to go used. But that also means more repairs, less safety, less piece of mind, etc. I think a 60 mo term is OK with low interest and decent money down. Especially if you are going to own the car beyond that and not start another loan after the 5 years.
Old 02-14-19, 11:33 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
My uncle told me never let the mortgage co. hold taxes in escrow, so I followed his advice since I purchased my house in 2002. The part that stinks is having the discipline to have it when due. It isn't even what I said verbatim, meaning, it's coming out of savings like it or not, it isn't as if we don't have it. But that doesn't mean it doesn't sting big time when the check is written. Maybe the though part is replacing what just came out of savings, or, rather, seeing that savings grew year over year as planned (it often does not).

In PA, we have 3 payments, one due 3/31, one 4/1, one 8/31. The big one is due 8/31 i.e. school taxes. I look at it this way, when I did trade stocks, I never once got the bid or ask that was showing on the screen. Someone else made that relatively small margin multiplied across however many shares. Why let a mortgage co. skim like that?
Interesting. Not sure what municipality you are in, but I'm in MontCo, and I only have 2 tax bills: Township/County; and Schools.

Quick Reply: Despite good economy, many still in trouble with car loans.