Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Disabling a safety system?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-19, 10:32 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
We are looking at buying a new car eventually. Most of the cars we driven have pre crash, automatic brake, and blind spot monitors. While we absolutely want all of these featurs, the sales guy mentioned we can turn off such systems if we want.

So I wonder. Why would you want to turn off lets say automatic brake control or other such features? You can't turn off ABS or airbags on a regular basis. The logic of turning off some of these safety systems is at odds at the point of having them.
Why complain? You're getting the OPTION to turn them off. Everyone's opinion will be different so it depends on the individual. None of these systems are foolproof, but they mostly work as intended. Plus even if you don't use the feature and opt to switch it off, insurance will usually lower your premium for having such systems equipped on your vehicle these days
Old 02-16-19, 10:54 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Why complain? You're getting the OPTION to turn them off. Everyone's opinion will be different so it depends on the individual. None of these systems are foolproof, but they mostly work as intended. Plus even if you don't use the feature and opt to switch it off, insurance will usually lower your premium for having such systems equipped on your vehicle these days
I am not complaining. Just wondering. I wonder because, after an accident, what would one say after they disconnected their emergency braking system? Or what if one forget to turn back on their BSM system and they assumed it was on? It just seem counterproductive to be able to turn it off. I get what you mean that there are not foolproof though.
Old 02-16-19, 11:03 AM
Hoovey689

I am not complaining. Just wondering. I wonder because, after an accident, what would one say after they disconnected their emergency braking system?
"Well, guess I'll turn on my emergency braking system now, for future incidents" lol

Or what if one forget to turn back on their BSM system and they assumed it was on?
With the Lexus, some of the older ones have the BSM as a button on the left of the steering wheel, and a green light indicated when on. On the newer ones, you have to go into the menu on the MID (multi interface dispaly) where the speedo and tach are, and turn it on or off. But when it's on a green BSM light is on the dash. So there really shouldn't be any assumptions. Either you see it or you don't.

It just seem counterproductive to be able to turn it off. I get what you mean that there are not foolproof though.
The Lexus BSM just lights up, doesn't bother me, love the feature. But ones like the Mercedes (just drove a friends GLE Coupe), beeps and lights up. I found the beeping really annoying.
Old 02-16-19, 01:07 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

We are looking at buying a new car eventually. Most of the cars we driven have pre crash, automatic brake, and blind spot monitors. While we absolutely want all of these featurs, the sales guy mentioned we can turn off such systems if we want.

So I wonder. Why would you want to turn off lets say automatic brake control or other such features? You can't turn off ABS or airbags on a regular basis. The logic of turning off some of these safety systems is at odds at the point of having them.
I`d jump on the 2019 4Runner

Most of these systems arent designed for every driver profile nor even single environment and thus inherently flawed by design. If the system was foolproof they`d take away the turn off feature. In addition if regulation exists like it does for ABS and Airbags, mfgs will take away that off-function as well. Its like those CTS-V's airbags that would constantly deploy in High G turns on track days. The system was inherently not designed for the track, and there was also no way GM could disable them due to regulations.
Old 02-16-19, 01:48 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

My Tacoma had a switch to turn off the curtain airbags during off road maneuvers at extreme angles that could set them off. Kind of a crazy thought.
Old 02-16-19, 01:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
My Tacoma had a switch to turn off the curtain airbags during off road maneuvers at extreme angles that could set them off. Kind of a crazy thought.
My 4Runner has that same switch.
Old 02-16-19, 01:55 PM
Hoovey689

The GX has that switch as well
Old 02-16-19, 02:03 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I thought the new GX and 4Runner only go off when in 4lo. I know my air bags on the curtain were recalled. Thanks for the reponse earlier. It’s interesting to see other people’s opinions on certain features
Old 02-16-19, 02:36 PM
Hoovey689

I thought the new GX and 4Runner only go off when in 4lo. I know my air bags on the curtain were recalled. Thanks for the reponse earlier. It’s interesting to see other people’s opinions on certain features
RSCA in the GX460 disables the side curtain air bags to prevent accidentally deploy during off-road driving when vehicle experiences heavy body rolls. To disable it, press and hold the button for 5 seconds.

Old 02-17-19, 12:53 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
My ram has parksense with accident avoidance braking. I shut off the accident avoidance to the rear sensors because backing into my driveway causes me to come to a screeching halt. The sensors read the incline at the entrance to my (not steep at all) driveway as an obstacle, locking the brakes and beeping like crazy. The Ram's have an option where you can leave the beeps on, but turn off the braking. That's where mine is set.
Same here, I like all the nannies in my Durango except the one you mentioned, the reverse parksense. It would go off and brake every time I backed out of my garage and it drove me crazy so I turned it off. It already has the sensors and rear cross traffic alert so it was somewhat redundant.

On my IS350 I get a lot of false alerts for the PCS but luckily it only beeps and doesn’t brake for me or it would be an issue and I would turn it off. Strange that my Durango hasn’t had one false alarm yet on the same roads.

Old 02-17-19, 03:44 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sometimes snow can interfere with those radars and systems, so it's helpful to be able to temporarily turn them off.
Old 02-17-19, 04:07 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Why would you want to turn it off? It's there to assist you and perhaps save your life.
i am sure someone mentioned it, but bad weather can interfere and you certainly should be able to turn it off. Sensors are behind lenses, and if they are covered by dirt, snow, etc, they will keep beeping, etc.
Old 02-17-19, 04:24 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

RSCA after 2014 has moved to a built in central logic control system. That button is from pre-refresh vehicles.
Old 02-17-19, 04:26 PM
Stewart350
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Why would you want to turn it off? It's there to assist you and perhaps save your life.
like many other people, I turn off most of the intrusive safety features. I like to be in control
Old 02-17-19, 04:30 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Lets be thankful, automakers have given drivers a choice, rather then just said nope we know best.....examples include Stop and Start on some automakers. Plus how many times has anyone been actually been able to test drive a vehicle and fully experience a certain automakers Safety System suite in its intended design. Most test loops are so small, slow, and free from traffic that nearly all the systems never really activate on my TD.

Quick Reply: Disabling a safety system?