Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Have your favorite tires ever been discontinued?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-19, 03:48 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I noticed a few years ago when my favorite brand (Dole) Orange-Peach-Mango juice shrunk down to 59 oz. When I asked the company-rep about it, she said it was due to increased fruit-costs, and sent me a coupon in the mail for a free, well.........59 oz. container.

Now, if and when I'm near a Wegman's supermarket, I get their own store brand of orange-peach-mango....a full 64 oz for a much cheaper price.

On the tires, though, aren't there some DOT regulations on tread-depth?
Well my understanding is that those UTQG ratings are self-reported by the mfg. So if a Michelin is 600 AA A, this rating is only good to compare among Michelins.

My theory with the tires is, that well remember the tire threads regarding how many miles did you get, etc.? It would not be outlandish for people to say "I got 89k out of my RS-As!" If a tire is warranted for 60k, why have people getting 80,000+ out of them, it's like the tire mfg. is leaving money on the table.

I suspect that if a tire is warranted to 60k, the optimum from a mfg. standpoint is you get 60,000.0 out of it. But if you get 59,999.9, we will pro-rata the tires and you can get another set from us, with the $0.01 that we are giving you (literally I just calculated it!) from warranty.

Food for thought. Let's say because of the 8.5/32, you only got 50k out of the tires (I bet the retailer is discouraged from concluding this to be the case). We'll prorata that for you, and you'll get $116 towards a new set. $116? Costco routinely gives $70 off, as does every installer, rotating sales. So that is a very small price to pay, to get a customer to repurchase tires. My theory at any rate.
Old 02-17-19, 07:50 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran
Forum Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
on a side note, what's the deal with the Goodyear eagle RS-A? it's like literally the only tire that is the exact 225/60-16 97V that toyota specifies for my car, everything is 98H for the most part

some people say they're good, but a seemingly equal number of people also say they suck... I remember not thinking they were the greatest, and remember thinking that the turanza serenity plus seemed like an upgrade
Worst. Tires. On. The. Market. Seriously, Milestar's or Grantlands (read: chinese garbage) are better.

If you are looking for a tire with decent performance and longevity, I suggest what I run on my ES:

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/b...s-plus/p/24833

In my size, they have a 90k Treadwear rating. I have about 40k on mine and they still look pretty much new.

Old 02-17-19, 12:47 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
You are the only person I have ever heard that liked Bridgestone tires. Only time I see Bridgestone in good light is when I watch some of the NHL Bridgestone Classic on New Year’s Day. Where the tires you wanted OEM tires? That does disappoint that you can’t get the tires that you want b
Yeah I don't mind the company. I just don't like the model they have on IS's stock (Turanza ER33). But yes Potenza RE760 were available in the same spec, and Lexus dealers carried them as alternatives. But so far I'm happy with these Yokohama's.
Old 02-17-19, 12:54 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
If you are referring to your IS, then I feel your pain. I go through a set of tires every 17-19k miles, which has been the only major expense owning this car. I agree, the stock Bridgestones sucked. They tramlined like crazy, and wore out fast. They are a poor design out of the gate. If you simply look at the outside edge, there is very little tread there to begin with. I replaced them with the Hankooks V12's, which rode well, but were noisy and also wore out fast. Less tramlining with those. I then tried the Michelin Pilot Sport all-seasons, due to high rankings and Michelin's long-running reputation. They are a decent tire (if expensive), but the first set wore unevenly. America's Tire Company pro-rated them, which helped soften the blow. My second set, which I am on now, are wearing much better and I am surpassing the 20k mile mark for the first time. The Michelins also tramline, especially as they reach the end of their lives. I have a few more months to go if I can get through the winter. Freeway driving in the rain is at 45-50 mph in the slow lane because I don't trust them to swipe away water at speed. We are having a record rain season thus far in CA and I have a new freeway commute that is 25 miles each way. I would really love to find a better all-season tire that still has a nice appearance (I think the stock Bridgestones did look good at least). I am very picky with how the tread looks from the side. Many alternate tires for the IS I would not consider due to strange tread patterns that make the car look like it's aftermarket and band-aided together.
I have not had positive past experiences with any Yokohama tires in the past, but I like the appearance of the ones you listed above. I will seriously consider those. I just hope they don't get noisy as they wear. I don't think that is a fault I could live with.
And so the tire sega continues with the IS. A truly superb car that eats up tires and has a fetish for tramlining.
Yup, I've had a lot of sets of them. But over years too, so not bad. I'm getting about the same amount of miles you were. So far I'm really liking these Advan Sports. They claim good wet traction which I've gotten to experience. Good handling because of larger blocks on the outside to increase lateral stability. They claim a quiet ride because of some 4-pitch tread variation. They also claim an optimized contact patch, so I'm curious to see if I can get more than 20K out of them. Would be a first on my IS lol
Old 02-17-19, 02:25 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 248 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Worst. Tires. On. The. Market. Seriously, Milestar's or Grantlands (read: chinese garbage) are better.

If you are looking for a tire with decent performance and longevity, I suggest what I run on my ES:

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/b...s-plus/p/24833

In my size, they have a 90k Treadwear rating. I have about 40k on mine and they still look pretty much new.
well the first reason i wouldn't get those particular tires is the T speed rating, my LS sees over 118 mph not too infrequently so i'd only get at least the H rating

i have the michelin premier a/s right now which are quite decent, especially in the wet they're very confidence inspiring

my old 18" wheels had the turanza serenity plus and those were pretty good, i think i'll probably go back to that since in my mind the car will be happier with japanese tires on it lol... but yea i'm definitely not trying to get the eagle rs-a
Old 02-17-19, 04:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

well the first reason i wouldn't get those particular tires is the T speed rating, my LS sees over 118 mph not too infrequently so i'd only get at least the H rating
I see you are in the U.S. Where can you legally drive 118 MPH? In many states, that will add a reckless-driving charge (20 or more MPH over the limit), which is considered a very serious offense.
Old 02-17-19, 05:00 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Where can you legally drive 118 MPH?
on the road to your mom's house

Old 02-17-19, 05:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

on the road to your mom's house

Just wrong.
Old 02-17-19, 05:06 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Just wrong.
don't worry i love mr. marshall... it's all in good fun here
Old 02-17-19, 05:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

don't worry i love mr. marshall... it's all in good fun here
❤️❤️❤️ I figured that. Lol.
Old 02-17-19, 05:22 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

on a side note, what's the deal with the Goodyear eagle RS-A? it's like literally the only tire that is the exact 225/60-16 97V that toyota specifies for my car, everything is 98H for the most part

some people say they're good, but a seemingly equal number of people also say they suck... I remember not thinking they were the greatest, and remember thinking that the turanza serenity plus seemed like an upgrade
They do s***. but I went 87k on them, OE with my 1998 Maxima. That was not unusual at all all kinds of stories of uber long miles before tossing. My rear brake pads also went 89k, which I think today is not possible with traction/stability systems. For example, on my BMW, the rear brakes wear faster than the fronts. Even the cars computer sets the front pads to 90k, and the rear to 45k, upon a reset. At the time, the RS-A seemed to be on every cop car, as if they managed to land huge contracts with a bad product. Reminds me of Bose.

edit anyone remember these, just awful. B&W ftw!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bose-901-Se...frcectupt=true
Old 02-17-19, 05:31 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

i have the michelin premier a/s right now which are quite decent, especially in the wet they're very confidence inspiring

my old 18" wheels had the turanza serenity plus and those were pretty good, i think i'll probably go back to that since in my mind the car will be happier with japanese tires on it lol... but yea i'm definitely not trying to get the eagle rs-a
All kidding aside, any tire shop worth their salt will not do three things:

1) mount a tire that does not meet the speed rating of the tires that the vehicle came with

2) mount a tire with a load capacity that is less than the tire that the vehicle came

3) mount a non RFT tire when the vehicle came with RFT (this is bogus, nobody wants RFTs, I didn't with the 335i and went non RFT Pilot Super Sports)

My 2006 LS430 came with Dunlop SP Sport 5000 M's (an original one on an original rim with grease pencil from Tahara is in the trunk) which are V rated, good to 149 mph. I doubt the car is capable of going above 130, it's likely limited. But you still should not put a tire that is rated lower than what came from the factory.
Old 02-17-19, 05:33 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
They do s***. but I went 87k on them, OE with my 1998 Maxima. That was not unusual at all all kinds of stories of uber long miles before tossing. My rear brake pads also went 89k, which I think today is not possible with traction/stability systems. For example, on my BMW, the rear brakes wear faster than the fronts. Even the cars computer sets the front pads to 90k, and the rear to 45k, upon a reset. At the time, the RS-A seemed to be on every cop car, as if they managed to land huge contracts with a bad product. Reminds me of Bose.
yea and those eagle rs-a's aren't cheap either, like REALLY not cheap
Old 02-17-19, 05:36 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
All kidding aside, any tire shop worth their salt will not do three things:

1) mount a tire that does not meet the speed rating of the tires that the vehicle came with

2) mount a tire with a load capacity that is less than the tire that the vehicle came

3) mount a non RFT tire when the vehicle came with RFT (this is bogus, nobody wants RFTs, I didn't with the 335i and went non RFT Pilot Super Sports)

My 2006 LS430 came with Dunlop SP Sport 5000 M's (an original one on an original rim with grease pencil from Tahara is in the trunk) which are V rated, good to 149 mph. I doubt the car is capable of going above 130, it's likely limited. But you still should not put a tire that is rated lower than what came from the factory.
well that's exactly my issue here, pretty much the only tires in my size that have the V rating are the eagle rs-a and the cinturato P7 which is Y rated

almost everything else has the H rating which i'll settle for
Old 02-17-19, 11:01 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

well that's exactly my issue here, pretty much the only tires in my size that have the V rating are the eagle rs-a and the cinturato P7 which is Y rated

almost everything else has the H rating which i'll settle for
I've had RS-As on a couple of cars and replaced them very early for poor traction and loud noise. It is the primary reason Goodyear will never be on one of my cars.

Quick Reply: Have your favorite tires ever been discontinued?